Saiga 12 Rear Sight Removal?

Let me start by saying that I feel pretty silly using this as my first post.

I got through the conversion quite well after considerable research on this site. Lots of great information here, and it went step-by-step just as planned.

Then I ordered a couple more parts, one being the CSS Sight Rail Mount (Long). Looks simple enough: Drift out the old rear sight and fit/install the new CSS Rail. The only hitch is, the factory rear sight will not budge. I started with a delrin punch (10-8 Performance) and a Brownell's 4oz. nylon/brass hammer and gradually worked my way up to a steel punch and a 16oz. ball peen and still nothing... that darn sight didn't move at all. I tried a bit (very little bit) of heat around the sight base and still nothing. It won't move.

I can see light under the sight and I'm pretty sure I can get it off with a hacksaw without scratching the top of the receiver, but that sure seems like overkill. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting it to move or does it just require more force?

I thought it would be most prudent to stop, take a breather and ask advice before I get out a bigger hammer or take to it with a hacksaw or dremmel.

Thanks for sharing your insight... it's appreciated.

Joe

Edited by melter942
  • Like 1

Being a manly man (at least on the internet) I just grabbed mine with my teeth and yanked it off. On second thought, I'm not so sure that sounds overly manly. Whatever.

Seriously though, I put some PB Blaster on it and let it sit for an hour. At that point, a punch and small hammer worked fine.

If you're absolutely, positively, never going to use it again then cut it. It's the safest way to avoid damage to anything else.

BTW, nothing silly about asking before breaking out the sledge hammer.

• Like 1

I had used Kroil the first time through and sprayed it again before coming here seeking advice. Earlier this week, I fabricated a set of delrin jaws for my vise so I took some time to install them in between checking back here for answers.

Well, I chucked the S12 up in the vise and broke 2 teeth trying to be a manly man...unhappy.gif ...then I got the dremel out and set it up with a cutting wheel, but decided to give the sight a couple more sharp raps with the hammer and punch. On the third strike, it moved... so I kept striking!

The CSS Sight Rail Mount is a quality piece. Installation was a breeze after I filed a ridge off the bottom of the dovetail in my receiver. The fit was precise and very tight. This setup has a set screw in the dovetail and 3 more set screws for leveling/supporting the rail, 2 fore and 1 aft. The rear screw was a bit long so I ground 3 threads off it and now all screw heads are flush. It was a nice clean installation.

Thanks to all for sound advice... it's appreciated.

Joe

Edited by melter942
  • Like 1

It's a bia to get off. I removed mine last night and after 25 min of it not budging I got my little wonder tool (dremel) out and cut almost through then finished the cut with a mini hack saw. Popped right out after that. I forgot where it was but I just today seen stock rear sights for $6 so you could cut it off the easy way and still have a rear sight for cheap.