Finally Range Report

Hi again, so i loaded some ammo with different types of bullets and powders and decided to go see how well my rifle can shoot, i have a portable shooting bench and i used a caldwel front rest to shoot. range was about 100 yards based on my estimates and the mil reticle confirmed by the size of target in the reticle. to be honest, i am not very impressed with the rifle, either the scope mounting situation is causing too much deflection from shot to shot, or i am a terrible shooter, or the rifle isnt performing to what i want out of it.

post-40466-0-17799200-1364069230_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-82254200-1364069234_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-11590100-1364069240_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-64377600-1364069249_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-58805400-1364069256_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-73293000-1364069264_thumb.jpg

here are some more.

post-40466-0-66825700-1364069528_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-99644400-1364069533_thumb.jpg

as a comparison of how i shoot, i shot my brothers savage model 10 in 308 with my home-rolled ammo and this is how i did. I admit that i am not so great a shot but here it is.

post-40466-0-29888400-1364069539_thumb.jpg

post-40466-0-28893700-1364069273_thumb.jpg

Edited by zagumennyyilya

This is not a pun towards anyone, but no matter what you do, that rifle will never be a "Sniper Rifle" it was never made for that. The AK, IMO, is a spray and pray rifle nothing else, even when Mr. Will, from RJF, took a Saiga put a bull barrel on it (308 rifle) it still only grouped about 3-3.5" I belive @100 yds. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a awesome job Will and the guys did on the weapon, I wish they had used a milled receiver.....

Ask any former or current soldier and they will tell you if you hear an AK you can look up and hunt for it, if you hear a SKS (milled receivers) do not peek.

Just my 2 cents......

This is not a pun towards anyone, but no matter what you do, that rifle will never be a "Sniper Rifle" it was never made for that. The AK, IMO, is a spray and pray rifle nothing else, even when Mr. Will, from RJF, took a Saiga put a bull barrel on it (308 rifle) it still only grouped about 3-3.5" I belive @100 yds. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a awesome job Will and the guys did on the weapon, I wish they had used a milled receiver.....

Ask any former or current soldier and they will tell you if you hear an AK you can look up and hunt for it, if you hear a SKS (milled receivers) do not peek.

Just my 2 cents......

I understand where your coming from and yea I have seen the Redjacket attempt at a sniper AK, however I do not recall hearing any stats in regards to what they pulled off. Maybe its just semantics but the Vepr is not exactly an AK either its an RPK. much like the way the M4 started out it was not intended to be a sniper rifle, yet many M4's have been pulling off sub moa accuracy after some fiddling, were not even talking about how they are now being designed for such feats in today's world. at the same time, I would never trust my life with an M4, its just how I feel considering the many times they have let soldiers down in combat over the last 35 years one could argue an M4 is not an M16, I suppose in much the same way were talking semantics. The Super Vepr is marketed and sold as a target/hunting rifle. So here we are trying to determine if it can live up to the marketing out of the box, or will it require modifications. Many of these rifles have been purchased and yet range reports have been few and far between with only the occasional blip out of some yahoo on the net about getting sub MOA (check the vepr conversion thread over at the AKFiles and you will find said yahoo, nice looking mods to the rifle but again serious modifications and no pictures from the range). If I have to reengineer the rifle with a milled receiver and a tighter twist barrel I have no problems with that. it will just be a few years before I will be in the position to do it. I wanted a Dragunov for years, to me this was a compromise that was worth doing.

Well said, the purpose of all this testing with the scope mounts and different ammo is to see how the rifle performs, there is nothing available on the net as to the real accuracy of the rifle. If the rifle is marketed as target hunting rifle than it better perform that way, right now, it's not living up to those expectations, I am trying to find out where it all goes wrong for this rifle, is it the horrible scope mount setup? Or the ammo? Or the shooter, therein lies the true question. We will see.

• Like 2
although it may be apples to oranges I did come across some other fascinating info regarding semi auto snipers... The Barrett .50 cal receiver is stamped n

Just my 2 cents......

The AK can be a accurate/ Take a look at the polish Beryls they will run 1" groups. And i have turned out about 1.5 moa 5 shot groups with a 21" saiga and 155s over 748 and iron sights. I didnt handload for my Vepr. So yes the AK can be quite accuracte, althouhg not like my AR (3/4")

On my old 308 Vepr the 155s shot best. Zag have you measured where the lands start? Perhaps your OAL puts you close to the lands. Finally have you tried ladder loading? In my experience there is a big variation in accuracy dependin on velocity. I can see being dissapointed.

Also are you firing in a rest or sandbags? I know the standard AKs are sensitive to position, not sure about the Super with its one peice swimsuit.
Edited by dasu

I have not measured where the lands start, I am just starting with the super project, I am planning on removing one variable at a time. The one piece swimsuit design is not very good in my opinion. There are 2 mounting bolts for the stock on the bottom, the forward one there is a lug right on the barrel so no matter where you rest the rifle on the bag, that will push on the barrel. I want to bed the stock so there is no single pressure point but full lenghth contact.

Just my 2 cents......

I disagree. New, decent quality AKs can be quite accurate. Most of the time, the weapons that the US soldiers encounter in the field are old, have worn-out, past-life-expectancy barrels and are improperly operated by the people with very little training, as well as (commonly) uncorrected visions problems. The difference between milled and stamped is minimal. SKS' are just harder to wear out because they are not FA. I don't remember RJ mentioning the exact grouping that they got out of that "heavy" build on the show. Unless it was editing, it took the dude 3 shots to dial in on a human silhouette from 1000 yards. That's pretty damn good. 3-3.5" seems average for a regular S308 build. I've gotten much better groups when zeroing my scope using the good loads for the hunting season with my 19" chop down target crown build.

When I first began to shoot my S308 I was pretty disappointed with the groups, which were about 4-5". However, I didn't have any experience shooting semi-auto .308 and my groups began to tighten as I got used to the ergos, increased recoil and noise. I ended up being very pleased with the rifle's performance.

I'll finally be zeroing my Super 308 pretty soon here. I got a nice stockpile of ammo already and also, unlike the .223, 9 mm and 22LR, .308 is locally available and not too overpriced. So far, I've only shot some metal gongs and find the recoil to be pretty minimal. I not very impressed with the available range reports, but I am very curious as far as what I'll be able to get out out of my top mount Super. I consider myself to be a pretty damn good shot right now, so we'll see if the rifle if up to it.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just my 2 cents......

Judging from their suppressors and their show I would not be surprised if they did more to harm the gun than help.

• 3 weeks later...