Basic conversion

Thanks. I really like it, shot it today. I have several AKs but this is my first conversion. the only concern is i used a retainer plate instead of the shepards crook and the axis pins have a tiny amount of play, with a shepards crook you cant budge them at all. Anyone else notice this? They cant be driven out but they have a little lateral play.

I was going to go full conversion on this but, as it sits its just about perfect IMO. Almost valmet-ish and very accurate. Makes my wire folder look jihad in comparison.

Don't worry about the little bit of play using the plate. I've used it on 3 of my Saiga rifles and the Shepherd's crook on my S12 and the both work fine and hold the pins in where they're supposed to be. I've even seen the pins spin when I dry fire with the retainer plate in.

The only problem I've had was when I bought a new set of pins from CSS. I wanted black ones to match the receiver so I bought them and they're about a mm too short (in my rifles anyway).

Yeah no need to swap em out. It's never a bad idea to have a small tackle box with spare parts though. I have 2x and 3x of some parts just for extras, so getting a shepherds crook isn't a bad idea just to have.