Hey everyone,

Looking for a decent .22 pistol. I like the sig mosquitos. Anything else out there to consider? I don't want one that has shitty mags that don't feed or a weapon that jams. I'd like to spend 300 or less, I'd take a used one. I've seen rugers and sigs both new and used above and below 300 as of today.

Seemed to me the rugers have shotty mags? Any users?

The thought is, since I have enough .22 ammo to pave a 30 yard drive-way with I might as well have something fun to shoot that ammo up with. Thanks.

Don't have any experience with many .22 pistols, but the Beretta Neos is pretty good, got it for $270 at Gander Mountain, hasn't jammed even with the crappy remington ammo, very quick and simple disassembly, my only complaint is that it's a bit front heavy.

If you want a really good .22 pistol, get a ruger. They are cheap, dependable and have stuck to a proven design that works. Kinda like how porshe ran the 911 project for years until the global epa nazis forced them to go liquid cooled nicosill block garbage. :)

It really is hard to beat the accuracy of a ruger target pistol. I own a Mark 2 government target model that can hang with my hammerli. It costs about as much as the sights on the hammerli! :)

Similar to the 10/22, the pistol is proven and trusted by a lot of enthusiasts and target shooters who like to keep things American.

I have had really bad luck with the walther p22. I did have good service during the warranty and sold the new one. It was picky with ammo unlike the ruger and it eventually just fell apart. Stay away from that sucker!

• Like 4

Though I do not personally own one, I have shot a couple of the ruger MKII's and 22/45's. My local indoor range has a mkII, and it is the filthiest gun Ive ever seen. You would need a screw driver to scrape the gunk out of it, but It never failed me once. I bought a brick of cheapo federal automatch and shot almost 300rds at a time, when I was gettin my wife used to shooting handgun. Other than a couple dud shells, no fif, fte or stove pipes. I asked how long it had been since they cleaned it, they told me every four months or so, with people shooting it 3-4 times a week. Kinda amazing.

Also, the mkII mags are a bit cheaper and more available than the 22/45

A new one will run around 350, but you can pick them up used for less.

Edited by Boomsick42

As an owner of multiple Ruger MK2's, I Will mos def have to recommend them!! My current one is a Stainless target model that you can drive tacks with,will eat ANY .22 ammo, and is such a hoot to shoot..(Hey, I LIKE that!) I would not ever be caught without at LEAST one Ruger MK 2! If I could only have one pistol. it would be the one that I would choose! And I have had the pleasure of shoot just about every type and brand out there, (all have their strengths and weaknesses) but all around, ya just cant beat a Ruger! And that is 45+ years of shooting experience talking.

I have a Browning Buckmark. I removed the rear site and added a picatinny rail. I then added a cheap reddot scope. I just wanted to be able to point and shoot and not have to aim. I purchased it several years ago and paid $199.00. I can tell you that you MUST have a decent .22 in your collection. Looks like the one in the link:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/050911_D7C_30201.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-browning-buckmark-camper/&h=576&w=811&sz=213&tbnid=odDcBEiR_zHLdM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=127&zoom=1&usg=__plDYI1Ku2I6m7pq0uaGjCl9N0oQ=&docid=WkRjEBN0FXg-WM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rW1OUa_oLsSWrAG_-YHgBw&sqi=2&ved=0CD4Q9QEwAg&dur=663

Good luck on your purchase,

• Like 1

I have a tricked out Ruger Mk-III Target Hunter. Rediculously accurate at 50+ yards, and will eat anything I feed it without a hiccup. Lots of folks complain about the disassembly/ assembly of them. I was one of them (also had a MK II 22/45) until I removed the (lawyerized) LCI and the mag disconnect lock. Stripping it down is now a breeze, and no malfunctions whatsoever (unlike the MK-II I had). With the LCI removed, hardly any crude gets built up in the chamber after several hundreds of rounds.

post-8269-0-45315600-1364096519_thumb.jpg

Edited by fffpatriot

I own a Sig Mosquito and I love it a lot, but I would still recommend a Ruger or Browning over it. Personally, those guns bore me, but either one will be more accurate than the Mosquito and will work with a wider range of ammo. My Mosquito took a couple thousand rounds of CCI MIni-Mags before it loosened up enough to work reliably with Federal and Remington bulk pack.

The Mosquito is great if you own a full-size Sig and don't want to deal with a conversion kit, but want to shoot cheap .22LR for training/fun. That's where it shines.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

My ruger MKIII 22/45 is very reliable and not picky on ammo.(and with the 5 1/2 bull barrel is acurate as hell) Plus it keeps the controls like a 1911 that I am used to!

On a side note the take down gets easier with use and is not as bad as some folks tend to complain about!

Edited by Bigtwin

I own a Ruger 22/45 and would absolutely recommend it as well. Mine is a stainless target model with bull barrel... It was $270 about 6 years ago. I don't think prices have climbed much since.

I believe the Browning is also an excellent choice.

If you really want to get kinky and not spend much more, check out the 10-22 Charger. :)

While the above suggestions are good, I'd also add that it is worth looking into smith and wesson 422, and related models.

They are cheap and reliable (except the most expensive target models had too heavy a slide and therefore are picky about ammo)

Upsides: unique feel, unike magazine release that you either love or hate, sites about .75" above bore, so perfect host for a suppressor (it costs about $26 to get a thread adapter), unique grip angle

Cons: Expensive mags ~$26 each, not intended to be fully dissassembled, distinctive grip angle and mag relase may not be your thing.

A comment on the walther p22 and sig mosquito: A lot of those seem to break. P22s seem to have a fair amount of variance in what ammo will run in them. Some are picky as can be and others don't care. On the plus side, or minus - depending on perspective, they kick a lot for a .22 and make a lot of noise, so they kind of feel more like shooting a larger caliber.

Lots of sig and ruger fans in here but I'm going to second the Neos. Mine has performed fairly well since I bought it. Maybe 10 fail to loads out of roughly 1200 rounds, and all 10 happened when I used really crappy remington ammo. Use a little better stuff like CCI singer or velicitor, it's down right fun. And like the other gentleman stated, breakdown and cleaning is almost disappointingly easy.

While the above suggestions are good, I'd also add that it is worth looking into smith and wesson 422, and related models.

They are cheap and reliable (except the most expensive target models had too heavy a slide and therefore are picky about ammo)

Upsides: unique feel, unike magazine release that you either love or hate, sites about .75" above bore, so perfect host for a suppressor (it costs about $26 to get a thread adapter), unique grip angle

Cons: Expensive mags ~$26 each, not intended to be fully dissassembled, distinctive grip angle and mag relase may not be your thing.

A comment on the walther p22 and sig mosquito: A lot of those seem to break. P22s seem to have a fair amount of variance in what ammo will run in them. Some are picky as can be and others don't care. On the plus side, or minus - depending on perspective, they kick a lot for a .22 and make a lot of noise, so they kind of feel more like shooting a larger caliber.

If you know anyone who has a 422 with wood grips let me know (what a gun) can't find the around here

I shot a friends Mosqito a couple of weeks ago and even with 1600 fps ammo it would not even think about ejecting rounds. Biggest POS I have ever shot and there was a High Point with them that day, haha...

Same group different person with a Walther P22 and it was having problems as well. With these two guns that I will NEVER own in mind, I'd consider a revolver. I'm just not convinced that the 22LR has the balls to make the action work EVERY time I need it to. Every gun I own has to be able to be a "go to" gun or it's out the door and I don't care if I lose money doing it.

This is just my opinion from what I've witnessed.

Judging by the above comments and the way my 10-22 works while I admittedly don't take near as good care of it as my others. I'd surely take a look at the suggested Rugers if I were to go to a 22 semi auto.

I am an antique shooter High Standard`s Sport King M-103`s ( like how easy it is change barrels for length /usage and they are built like a tank all metal but grips )

None the less i bought a Ruger Charger bench pistol and was really impressed by it . It is a 10-22 i mounted a 2-7X long eye relief scope on it and was floored by its out of the box accuracy !!!!!10 rounds of crap bulk ammo you could cover with a dime at 100 yards ! It is not a freehand pistol by any means but with the pod legs as short as they store in ,folded down and resting on pistol grip a 25 rounder or 50 round drums will not touch the table top at all . So for accuracy , after market improvements( if it fits a 10-22 it Will fit a Charger ) and durability i rate it a 10 . while it is not an off hand pistol by design the stock is designed so there are many different Iron lock positions it can be shot from without a bench it has become my small game choice hunter !!

Add a Norrell trigger pak (NFA) and you have an extremely evil little subgun you can safely get both hands on comfortably bad_smile.gif I Love the Odd Duck and so did a youngster who was shooting smiley faces on Shoot N See target inside the 10 ring eyes_droped.gif !!!!

Personally have a S&W 422. They are picky about being cleaned but have never had any issues about ammo choices. I am 32 and was what i learned to shoot on as a kid many years ago. I have now begun teaching my son,10, how to shoot using it now. I plan to get a new ruger .22 soon for myself. Cant decide between the semi auto or revolver. I have a sp101 in .357 already and thy make it in .22 with an eight shot cylinder which looks mighty tempting. Cant beat a revolver for reliability, especially a ruger.

Get a Ruger MK series and forget about the rest. They are all steel and will last several lifetimes. Even the 22/45's are great. Avoid the Lite if you want to use a suppressor because the threads are aluminum. I have several MK's and they run 100%. When they get dirty enough to cause malfunctions hose them down with WD-40 then blow them out with air. They will be good again for several thousand rounds.

According to Sig the Mosquito lasts 10k-15k rounds. I go through that in a year or less.

I have a SR22 and it is s great gun but I worry because of the aluminum slide. The takedown lever also breaks because it is a plastic part that the slide hammers against.

The MP22 I am also worried about because it is also aluminum as well as made by Umarex. Another concern is when I asked SW about lifespan they told me it would last forever. With my firing schedule I was afraid it would only last a year or two and for thd money it should last longer.

The Ruger MK series has more aftermarket support for it than any other 22 pistol on the market. Other than the lower and upper receiver, and a few small parts, all parts are easily found as aftermarket items.

The best part about the Rugers? They are made in America.

Dolomite

I am an antique shooter High Standard`s Sport King M-103`s ( like how easy it is change barrels for length /usage and they are built like a tank all metal but grips )

None the less i bought a Ruger Charger bench pistol and was really impressed by it . It is a 10-22 i mounted a 2-7X long eye relief scope on it and was floored by its out of the box accuracy !!!!!10 rounds of crap bulk ammo you could cover with a dime at 100 yards ! It is not a freehand pistol by any means but with the pod legs as short as they store in ,folded down and resting on pistol grip a 25 rounder or 50 round drums will not touch the table top at all . So for accuracy , after market improvements( if it fits a 10-22 it Will fit a Charger ) and durability i rate it a 10 . while it is not an off hand pistol by design the stock is designed so there are many different Iron lock positions it can be shot from without a bench it has become my small game choice hunter !!

Add a Norrell trigger pak (NFA) and you have an extremely evil little subgun you can safely get both hands on comfortably bad_smile.gif I Love the Odd Duck and so did a youngster who was shooting smiley faces on Shoot N See target inside the 10 ring eyes_droped.gif !!!!

I'm also a High Standard fan.........(the old ones, that is...., made in the 40's....) Sport Kings and Field Kings. I have several of them, in perfect condition, and consider them to be the best-shooting, reliable .22LR pistols ever made for general consumption.

You'll see them a lot at gun shows, but most are in really crappy condition...... You have to be patient to find one that's in decent shape, but it's worth it..............

For sheer fun with a .22LR, have a look at the Hk416 pistol !

Jeaux E,

I have been very patient over many years to collect the 2 i own $200 for the first 2 decades ago and a mint unfired one for $400 a few years ago both at shows , Never looked back and Never had a problem with either ,thats why i love them so much !! built to last a century or more and real metal !