Sounds to me a ruger MK series is going to be my weapon of choice. Thinking about it, my dad actually owns an older one and I now remember shooting it when I was younger.

Thanks everyone.

Some other food for thought... Ruger made/makes a series of that pistol with a threaded barrel... Might be worth seeking out.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Maxwelhse" data-cid="880443"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jbizzy" data-cid="880406"><p><br />

Sounds to me a ruger MK series is going to be my weapon of choice. Thinking about it, my dad actually owns an older one and I now remember shooting it when I was younger.<br />

<br />

Thanks everyone.</p></blockquote> <br />

Some other food for thought... Ruger made/makes a series of that pistol with a threaded barrel... Might be worth seeking out.</p></blockquote>

<br />

They make an aluminum version that is threaded ans steel versions that are threaded. The steel version is the way to go. I have one and it is great. I have threaded a can on and off probably 200 times so far without issue. They make a steel version with irons with no rail and one without irons with a rail, both priced the same. Pick the one with the iron sights because you can add a rail but you cannot add iron sights. I know several people, including me, who bought the one without irons and realized it was a mistake. I added a fiber optic sight and an adjustable rear sight. It works perfectly with my suppressor.<br />

<br />

One more thing about the Rugers. They are not ammo sensitive. I shoot subsonics and supersonics without issue. I can even single load shorts and it will lock back on and empty magazine. I have yet to find a brand that doesn't cycle the Ruger.<br />

<br />

This is what I do to my Rugers that are threaded for a suppressor.

1405157B-545C-4F6E-8636-9FFA748900D9-578

It reduces the port noise when shooting supersonics. It also makes it easier to grab the bolt to clock it. I even add a lightweight one when I shoot subs for this reason. The supersonic weight weighs 2.0-2.1 ounces depending on the gun and ammo. I thread the bolt 10-32 for the weight.

Dolomite

Edited by dolomite_supafly
While the above suggestions are good, I'd also add that it is worth looking into smith and wesson 422, and related models.

They are cheap and reliable (except the most expensive target models had too heavy a slide and therefore are picky about ammo)

Upsides: unique feel, unike magazine release that you either love or hate, sites about .75" above bore, so perfect host for a suppressor (it costs about $26 to get a thread adapter), unique grip angle

Cons: Expensive mags ~$26 each, not intended to be fully dissassembled, distinctive grip angle and mag relase may not be your thing.

A comment on the walther p22 and sig mosquito: A lot of those seem to break. P22s seem to have a fair amount of variance in what ammo will run in them. Some are picky as can be and others don't care. On the plus side, or minus - depending on perspective, they kick a lot for a .22 and make a lot of noise, so they kind of feel more like shooting a larger caliber.

I'm gonna have to agree with the revolver position here...they are hell for stout, accurate too. I had a Ruger Single Six that had a .22 mag cylinder also.NEVER had a lick of trouble with it, and it was extremely accurate! Now this was back when my eyes were better, but a black snake had my neighbor basically penned in her house, when she would try to come out the front door, it would come at her. I thought she was crazy until I walked up to her house and it came after me. The grass was a little high so it had about 6-8 inches of its neck up slithering toward me. At around twenty feet away, I squeezed the trigger and blew its head slap off. They are that accurate. Dang, I need to find another! I wonder how the 10 shot Ruger .22 revolvers are?

I have a tricked out Ruger Mk-III Target Hunter. Rediculously accurate at 50+ yards, and will eat anything I feed it without a hiccup. Lots of folks complain about the disassembly/ assembly of them. I was one of them (also had a MK II 22/45) until I removed the (lawyerized) LCI and the mag disconnect lock. Stripping it down is now a breeze, and no malfunctions whatsoever (unlike the MK-II I had). With the LCI removed, hardly any crude gets built up in the chamber after several hundreds of rounds.

Is that a volquartsen comp on your Mk? How do you like it?

Yes it is a Volquartzen. I didn't think it would've made a difference in keeping the nose on target, being a hefty lil' .22lr, but this baby doesn't move a hair when I fire it. I can slightly tell the difference in recoil. Only thing I don't particularly care for is that with the single mounting screw tightened all the way down, the comp has a little bit of play.

I would also suggest looking at the Ruger. I have an sr22, shoots everything I put thru it. A lot easier to clean than my old mark II. Revolver is the reliable. If you want something really accurate in a semi auto, consider the Ruger Charger. The 10/22 action is one of the best, in pistol form, it's a hoot!

my first .22 pistol was a Heritage High Rider. It is tons of fun, especially with the .22 Magnum cylinder loaded ;)

The Beretta Neos is nice. My favorite .22LR to shoot is a Ceiner practice kit on a Beretta frame, but that wasn't cheap to build...

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249/chestonphillips/public/D5C80A79-A37A-4F32-9ACA-E4A6DFD968E0-579-000000874BE9DB07.jpg

I have a Beretta NEOS. Nice, cheap, accurate, fail-free through hundreds and hundreds of rounds. That said it was not my first choice. I wanted a Ruger .22-45, but availability ruled.

I got a ruger sr22 for wifey after my dog was bitten by a copperhead on a walk. The crimson trace laser is pretty damn nifty and its eaten any ammo ive run through it both sub and supersonic. Hell, i even used it to shoot a rooster in the throat after he attacked her one too many times and she wanted him in the freezer. Break down and cleanup is easy and it made it through roughly 500 rounds in a single day (friends wanted to play with new pistol) without one ftf or fte.

I've seen some Sigs and Walthers choke on various ammo although I got lucky with my P22 which eats anything. My Dad has an old Ruger with a billion rounds through it and it keeps putting rounds downrange and I don't think it has ever malfunctioned. I want to build one like fffpatriot has. That thing is schweet!