Knowing what you know now... Which Importer/Caliber would you build ne

I'm still a little mixed up on importers and what they did to them once they arrived here in the states. Did some importers mill new receivers on some of these rifles and reassemble them before passing them on, or did they come that way from Russia? I am now seeing a FIME type/importers version of a Arsenal in 7.62x39 (I know, I'm crossing forums, I posted in both... hope you don't mind) and something about Arsenal phasing out some/all of it rifles. I know its tough, but could someone school me in Importers/setups reliability and desirability (.223-5.56-7.62 or even .308)?

I am going to do both builds at the same time, and I absolutely want to start with the right caliber/platform on build two. IYHO and why.

Next one: 7.62x39 off-the-shelf Vepr with following conversion into AK clone; most likely CQB SBR folder, AKS-74U style.

I know, there is Grendel, Blackout, etc, but since I don't have means and skills of Rifle Dynamics, Krebs and Red Jacket, I have to stick to the "stock".

And 7.63x39 ammo is still available, and so the mags.

And when it comes to the short-range, house-clearing stopping power, there is hardly anything to match it

Hmm... AK PDW in .45 ACP???

Edited by Sgt. Raven
Next one: 7.62x39 off-the-shelf Vepr with following conversion into AK clone; most likely CQB SBR folder, AKS-74U style.

I know, there is Grendel, Blackout, etc, but since I don't have means and skills of Rifle Dynamics, Krebs and Red Jacket, I have to stick to the "stock".

And 7.63x39 ammo is still available, and so the mags.

And when it comes to the short-range, house-clearing stopping power, there is hardly anything to match it

Hmm... AK PDW in .45 ACP???

I had seen several claims about The Vepr being a "AK on steroids", are they difficult to clone into AK's? I have also seen a Super Vepr .223 & .308. Are the internal superior to that of a out the box unmodified Saiga ? Some claims that they are really more of a hunting rifle (though the 48 round curved mag is very interesting and somehow discounts these claims) gives me concerns about what type of mags it will accept, standard AK? As always, thanks for direction.

Also, whats your take on the VEPR 7.62X54R 27"? I'm so used to seeing this ammo in my Mosin Nagant, I was surprised to see it in a much much higher quality rifle. Great sniper rifle you think?

Edited by redrocker35

I'd rather have current Vepr owners answer your question for accuracy of statements, based on previous experience.

RPK-based receiver is superior to 1 mm AK/Saiga.

I was also impressed with M70-series Croatian sportster (formerly part of Yugoslavia).

Here is a good discussion of M70XXX: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=103473.0

Here is an example of converted Vepr (basic setup).

I jumped on Saiga's before learning more about Vepr line. I don't regret, since Saiga suits my needs, but starting again, I'd move to Vepr.

My personal opinion.