Hand guard decisions - which to get

After months of hiding the SGL21 from the girl friend and calling it "Mikey" when talking about it she's seen it, held it, and likes it. She can't wait to shoot Mikey but she'd like a vertical fore grip on it, hand position affects her bad back and a vertical hand grip causes less stress and is more comfortable.

I've been thinking about a hand guard with rails, but I'm picky. I hate anything that clamps to the barrel and it seems the options are limited in this area. I considered a Tapco quad rail, but plastic rails just don't do it for me. Red Jacket seems to have a quad rail that doesn't clamp to the barrel. Are there any others?

Am I off in thinking that a hand guard that clamps to the barrel will affect accuracy with an AK? I've read various accounts so I'm not sure. The Red Jacket hand guard is pricey, but quality costs and I don't mind paying for quality even if I don't get instant satisfaction and have to put the purchase off a bit.

Thoughts? Experience?

I have a Chaos Mini quad rail on my S7.62 and LOVE it. I haven't seen any affect on accuracy (I've only been able to shoot it indoors at 50 yards so far) and it mounts very solid, looks good and the little bit of weight it adds helps soak some of the recoil up which could be a plus for her. I use Magpul RVG vertical grips on all my railed weapons and like them because they're small enough that they won't get in the way but offer a full grip to most people unless you have hulk hands.post-46357-0-79877800-1364158203_thumb.jpg

Or you can do something like this. This is a stock S12 handguard but I've done it to a couple S7.62 ones too. Its easy and only costs about $7, mounts up very sturdy. The only thing is the factory handguard doesn't mount 100% tight but I've never had a problem using it and I did it to my brothers and he's happy with it. Its a Magpul MOE rail (they come in different lengths & mounting hardware) and you just grind 2 small parts of the rib inside the handguard ,measure and drill holes to mount the rail. Very easy and cheap.post-46357-0-43695200-1364158844_thumb.jpg

I have the CSS AR Style aluminum forearm. I like it so far. Light compared to full railed forearms but can still attach some short rails if i want. Seems very sturdy. It looks a little bit like a Troy Alpha without the top rail or fluting.

Thanks for the input :)

I've been reading a bunch of threads, and am considering adding metal rails to the stock FIME SGL21 hand guard as an option. Or maybe the Tapco (non quad rail) and adding metal rails to it. All I need is the bottom rail and maybe one on the side for a light.

I don't need any extra weight on the front end, and the girl friend's back likes balance or more weight to the rear. I ended up going with a UTG Pro optics mount because of the additional short rail on the side, perfect for a laser if I go that route (and adds more weight on the back end). If I don't like the UTG Pro it goes back, got to like no questions asked returns.

Maybe I will stick with just adding metal rails for now, or the lower of a Tapco set and adding metal rails. I'll probably throw on a Harris bipod adapter, been meaning to get a Harris bipod for my bolt guns and there is no reason I can't use it on the AK as well.

But input on hand guards is still good :) I hate messing up stock items, replacing them and then modding them is one thing. I ought to contact FIME and find out which hand guard they use so.

Thanks again :)

I did like Dubya, but went a step further. I used an MOE rail section, then had a coworker mill the flat spot in my HG to mount it to. Before screwing it down, we put some industrial epoxy on the rail, so it's solid as a rock.

[img=http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/Doomster4Life/P1010977.jpg]

That's what I plan on with my future 5.45. Well, I plan on having the same lower handguard and adding a MOE rail but I have some ideas for the rest of the gun :)

The bad thing about adding epoxy is if you want to remove the rail to seel the HG or use the rail on something else, or whatever, its kind of permanent. The 3 I've added have been rock solid with the 2 screws and red loctite.

They hold up just fine. I've used them on 2 AR's and now 3 Saiga's and I haven't seen any difference between them and a metal rail besides price. The MOE rails are $5-$8 and come in 4 or 5 different lengths. I just buy 5 or so at a time and throw them in a parts box, they come in handy when tinkering around.

Edited by dubya

I have the MOE rails on my AR's, with MOE handguard. Rails are solid, and like Dubya mentioned, they come in different lengths so you can sort of customize what you want. I don't like grabbing rails when I shoot, so the MOE rails are perfect if you have a smooth handguard.

Have any of you tried the magpul AFG grip. I thought it was pretty stupid when I first saw it, then I realized I was gripping the forend at an angle using the verticle grip as a stop. So, I bought one. Not sure how I ever lived without it :)

The MI extended and the Chaos hand guards look good. I'd like to keep fore end weight down, so I'm not so sure about aluminum. Maybe if I end up with enough weight on the back end with red dot and magnifier or however I end up going with optics I might bite on an aluminum hand guard.

The MI extended and the Chaos hand guards look good. I'd like to keep fore end weight down, so I'm not so sure about aluminum. Maybe if I end up with enough weight on the back end with red dot and magnifier or however I end up going with optics I might bite on an aluminum hand guard.

They're really not all that that heavy. I think the chaos actually helps balance it a bit better c

I did like Dubya, but went a step further. I used an MOE rail section, then had a coworker mill the flat spot in my HG to mount it to. Before screwing it down, we put some industrial epoxy on the rail, so it's solid as a rock.

P1010977.jpg

damn i like you set up

Thanks. I sold the red dot last year and now run a 2-6x scope. Foregrip has been replaced with a GPS Grip-pod my cousin gave me(real deal, not the egay airsoft junk). Rear sight leaf is now an RPK model. I had to adjust my setup when the eye doctor told me I had a floater. I can't use dot sights anymore.

Dubya, before we did my mod, I located an extra handguard to do it with. I, too, am not a fan of hacking something without a spare on hand. I made that mistake trying to install a CD player in an old car once. Guy decided he wanted it back stock, and he had to ride around for 4 months without a radio until I located a factory trim plate. grimace.gif

My Hogue lower handguard is 4.2oz. I believe it was designed to fit onto the saiga 'pin' without modification. The upper handguard is 1.16oz, though you will need to get a standard gas tube with retainer to use it. The set comes with a railed upper handguard too, but it is set too high to cowitness, if thats a problem. The grip feels fantastic. I got the set, handguards and grip, for $40 shipped. The front end of my rifle definitely feels lighter and more 'flickable'.

Foregrip has been replaced with a GPS Grip-pod my cousin gave me(real deal, not the egay airsoft junk).

Is the Grip-pod any good as a bipod?

Yes it is. The GPS ones have steel reinforced legs, and a positive lock when open. The cheapo Chinese junk has a tendency to break or not stay open under the weight of the rifle.

Few options

dsmtsi23:

Is that the CSS AR style forearm? What's the length of it?

Man, I need to buy a lotto ticket so I can buy more rifles and try different set ups smile.png

Ya its the CCS forearm.

Hey how do you like that birdcage brake? Does it help with climb and recoil? I have one but havent made up my mind on which one im gonna use. thinkin bout getting the spikes tactical dynabrake.

I don't think it has any braking properties, its just a flash hider isn't it?

A brake on a 7.62x39 is pointless to me. There's not enough recoil to need a brake and you're only making it way louder.

Edited by dubya

More stuff to add, Grip-pod ... grip and bipod in one unit, more room left on the hand guard. But I can't swap it with my other rifles. Maybe the Harris first then a Grip-pod later.

AR style hand guard ... cause it's longer, about a whole hand longer :)

Hogue ... Montec got a Hogue pistol grip, I'm going to check that out and see how it feels. Will probably get that. I'm not sure about the hand guard... I'm still deciding LOL.

Damn, I'm going to have a $2K AK before this is done. I don't think I've spent that on my other guns... got some great deals on those.

I don't think it has any braking properties, its just a flash hider isn't it?

A brake on a 7.62x39 is pointless to me. There's not enough recoil to need a brake and you're only making it way louder.

you probobly just dont wanna thread the barrel. try an ak 74 brake and then get back to me. it takes virtually all of the muzzle climb down if you got a little bit a muscle behind ya. very usefull for fallow up shots.

I probably don't want to thread the barrel??

I've threaded all 3 of the 7.62 Saiga's I've had actually.

Put a little muscle behind it and you don't need a brake. Especially on such a mild caliber. I can double tap perfectly well and keep it on target within 50 yards.

BTW, your spelling is horrible..

Edited by dubya

Few options

dsmtsi23:

Is that the CSS AR style forearm? What's the length of it?

Man, I need to buy a lotto ticket so I can buy more rifles and try different set ups smile.png

Ya its the CCS forearm.

Hey how do you like that birdcage brake? Does it help with climb and recoil? I have one but havent made up my mind on which one im gonna use. thinkin bout getting the spikes tactical dynabrake.

I bought that brake for 14 bucks and have abused the crap out of it. It works well but i got it to hide the flash not help muzzle climb. It does help with muzzle climb though and doesnt shoot debree out the sides like some of the spikes tactical brakes.

I love how people will put a $100 railed handguard on just to mount a $10 vert grip. LOL! Look... the factory handguard is fine, as is. Just slap on a short section of rail for a vert grip (if that's your thing), or leave it alone (unless your going "cosmetic" with an original AK look). Let the "Tactifool's" spend their money on railed handguards so they can cut their fingers on all that unused rail space they now have (and lighter wallet). Or how about THIS idea... if you want a vert grip (not sure why), screw on a short section of rail to the bottom. If you want a flashlight, use a barrel clamp. POOF! Now you have about all the tactifools put on their endless waste of sharp edges (otherwise known as a railed handguard), AND you'll have a grip that's actually useful as a GRIP! :-)

I love how people will put a $100 railed handguard on just to mount a $10 vert grip. LOL! Look... the factory handguard is fine, as is. Just slap on a short section of rail for a vert grip (if that's your thing), or leave it alone (unless your going "cosmetic" with an original AK look). Let the "Tactifool's" spend their money on railed handguards so they can cut their fingers on all that unused rail space they now have (and lighter wallet). Or how about THIS idea... if you want a vert grip (not sure why), screw on a short section of rail to the bottom. If you want a flashlight, use a barrel clamp. POOF! Now you have about all the tactifools put on their endless waste of sharp edges (otherwise known as a railed handguard), AND you'll have a grip that's actually useful as a GRIP! :-)

Yeah, the factory hand guard is fine. A little short if I want to add a bipod which was my original intent. As for cutting your hands on rails, they make rail covers. I hate adding anything to the barrel, including hand guards that attach to the barrel, so a barrel clamp is out for me.

I picked up a PA green laser, hey it was on sale and I can have a lot of fun with it even off the rifle. Temporarily it is mounted on the secondary rail of the UTG Pro optics mount I bought. I bought the UTG Pro for that secondary rail on the side, good place for a laser and maybe a flashlight. But I may prefer the flashlight further up so the ability to put rails on the side is good.

I actually prefer a longer hand guard, and one I can add or remove rails where I want. I may add rails to the factory hand guard, but since I like it the way it is I don't want to butcher it by drilling some holes (and maybe epoxying the rails too). So either way I'm going to end up with a new hand guard.

If I'm going to buy a new hand guard I'm going to get one that I like, and one that is good quality. Quality costs money (usually), I could have bought a WASR10 for about half what I paid for the converted Saiga but the WASR is nowhere near the quality of the converted Saiga. Why buy a quality rifle then put on poor quality furniture? I may cheap out on a laser, a light, a red dot, etc but for something as integral as a hand guard I am going to pay for good quality. Toys for the rifle are just that - toys. Toys I will spend less on and don't have to have the best, although there is always the chance that I will buy up over time.

Hell, I just considered spending $115 (on sale, regular $175) on iron sights. Granted they have tritium dots, but I put them off for another day because the sights I have work and right now I'd rather spend the money on a PA red dot (once they're back in stock).