Hand guard decisions - which to get

• 2 months later...

Well I bit the bullet earlier this week. I'd actually decided on the Hogue handguard and pistol grip kit, Tapco is on my crap list since it is a Remington company and I'm boycotting them. But doing a bit of research on polymer handguards and possible melting issues I decided to go with the aluminum Midwest Industries AK-47/AK-74 SS Universal Quad Rail, in black of course.

I like the Midwest handguard, especially since I can decide not to have rails on it except for the top ones. I don't like that I can't put my cleaning rod back in, but it isn't a big issue. It does make field stripping and cleaning a bit more involved but it shouldn't be an issue. I suppose I'll have to see about picking up a spare set of screws.

To see if I like having a vertical fore grip or not I picked up a cheap ATI 5 position folder. I figured I wasn't going to sweat $20, and if I like it I can always go with a Grip Pod smile.png

Where I like the fore grip and where the girlfriend likes the fore grip are a couple of inches different. I like it way at the front she would prefer it at the back (gets in the way of mag changes) and we compromised on the middle. I mentioned that I could fix that issue by getting an M4 style tube adapter and a Magpul telescoping stock for about $150 but she doesn't want me spending any more. I'm glad because I dropped about $400 this week on the AK.