Hey guys so i picked up a few new saigas and have converted many of them and done the bullet guides and the whole shebang. I am now interested in changing the front sight post and gas block with ones that have bayonet lugs on them and while doing this installing a regular lower handgaurd retainer. Can this be done without a press?

Technically, yes, you can do it with a rubber (or maybe brass) mallet, a set of punches and a ball-peen hammer.

Getting a front sight block on straight can be a real pain in the ass. I've never done a gas block.

Yes. No need for a press if you don't have one. I did my GB and FSB without one and it wasn't bad. As said, the FSB alignment does take a little time. With the hand guard retainer, just index it with your hand guard or gas tube that you're going to use, slit with a dremel to index and then use a round file to get the shape. Easy.

TBH it's easier or cheaper to sell your 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 and buy one with the front end already done - e.g. IZ-332 or IZ-340 model.

If you want to to it yourself, as these guys mentioned you can do it without a press, but it can be a PITA. Just lightly polish the barrel journals (as in, barely polish them with emery cloth) where the components slide on, and use anti-seize compound. Bulgarian components will tap onto the barrel pretty easily with a plastic dead-blow hammer this way. You won't damage the barrel, and with the anti-seize compound, you can safely rotate the components on the barrel after installation without galling.

There are threads all over the forum about this.. There was just one in the .223 forum the other day that you might want to look at

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/86538-saiga-barrel-components-545-vs-223/

Doing the full front end conversion isn't hard but is a bit tedious if you want to get everything straight and drill/pin those components nicely. It really helps to have a drill press to do the drilling, though I've done them by hand very carefully, a little bit at a time on each side until the two sides meet. Use an undersize bit, then ream to 3mm and install your pins - or if you don't have original AK pins, drill to 1/8" and make your own pin from rod stock or drill bits. Chamfer the ends of the pins to make installation easier, and again use anti-seize.

You will want to run the gun to cook out any of the anti-seize before you do any touch up painting.

I did not do the gas block, but the FSB was easy. I just cut it off. Made two shallow cuts on either side of it, and whacked it off. If fell on the ground in two pieces along with the shroud. . I did use a press however to get the new FSB on. I have read where people used a sacrificial brake, screwed it onto the FSB, then used a mallet to bang the FSB on. That would work, but I would imagine getting it straight would take a few minutes.