SAM7R-61 vs model it replaced SLR101- Which better to start new build

Two very well made rifles, all the bells and whistles, and built like Russian tanks. The SLR101 is becoming hard to get, where as the model meant to replace it, the SAM7R-61 is plentiful so several $$$ can be saved by picking this one up.

To pose my question, what are we losing with the 101 and do we gain anything from the SAM that makes it a better rifle. It would be nice to know what SAM7R-61 stood for... Thanks!post-47153-0-49914200-1364213440.jpgpost-47153-0-69033900-1364213464_thumb.jpg

SLR-101 is listed as milled, and SAM7R-61 is listed as milled from a hot die hammer forged blank. The SLR-101 sure milled from bar stock. I suppose the newer one would be a bit stronger but with AK's being nearly indestructible anyway it seems a little over the top to me but then again all of my AK's are on stamped sheet metal receivers.

Listen up guys, stamped recievers are much more durable and rigid due to the rivets that allow the rifle to flex under rapid fire and abuse. although i have not heard of anyone breaking a milled or stamped ak reciever i am pretty sure the stamped is the route you wanna go. google it since everything i say gets criticized.

Listen up guys, stamped recievers are much more durable and rigid due to the rivets that allow the rifle to flex under rapid fire and abuse. although i have not heard of anyone breaking a milled or stamped ak reciever i am pretty sure the stamped is the route you wanna go. google it since everything i say gets criticized.

I did as you suggested and wiki has quite a bit on it. I would of never guessed that this was the case with milled/forged receivers. The metal fatigue that we are talking about, would it be more likely happen under heavy auto-fire rather that sporadic semi-auto? Or do you believe they suggesting that over time, the build up of metal fatigue could cause catastrophic failure of the receiver?

The whole argument over milled and stamped is pretty pointless. We use AK's because they are f'ing reliable right. Because when you pull the trigger, they fire. They are fairly accurate and ammo is plentiful for the most part. Stamped doesnt mean cheap, it was used to make them lighter, and yes less expensive. Not cheap. Unless you buy a wasser. blech.

I don't think any of us will be able to make either of them fail from use.

I will have my SAM7R-61 tomorrow.....send me all your ammo and the testing will commence!

I tend to agree Captain, but just in case do ya think we ought to send Saiga Power 500,000 rounds to be sure? I guess dream big or stay at home, right Power? I've looked, and I'll admit not to hard, but to of yet to see a failure of this nature. Seen dust covers blown off AK's and even a Romanian (Romak 991) receiver failure or two. I wasn't questioning the AK breid1970, merely allowing my jaw to drop in wonder that this is the worst one could expect.(even if it meant some was reloading shells with copious amounts of C-4) Let the reloading tests Begin! BTW Power, you'll have a lot of empty shells, so you got this one too, right?

Thanks to the rotten bastards in Hodgkins IL.....I have to wait an extra day

Arrival Scan Hodgkins, IL, United States 03/25/2013 7:42 A.M.

Departure Scan Hodgkins, IL, United States 03/27/2013 2:08 A.M.

Assholes kept it almost 2 days

And 250,000 rounds will be a good start.......

Edited by Saiga Power

Whats funny is I too have regular package hold ups in Hodgkins, IL when I have things shipped from a different vendor, so maybe its a firearms depot for UPS?(likely) or maybe they just operate on Margarita Time, all the time... In which case, where is Hodgkins, IL exactly?!

i actually live not that far from hogkins IL, and i've seen the UPS facility there. if memory serves me right, it UPS's central hub for everything. they process something like 3 million packages a day. 2 days is ridiculous though. i worked for RPS ( a company like UPS that was eventually bought out by fedex) and things like firearms are processed through an incompatibles belt and not the main chutes. i rememeber guys delivering things like that to my truck for loading. they stick out like sore thumbs and are usually processed quicker. glad to see its on its way though

I've had ALOT of gun parts and about 5 or 6 guns go through Hodgkin's and I've never had more than a day wait that I can remember. Most recent was 3 weeks ago.

The only time I've had a shipping problem was when I did a trade with a classified cowboy on another forum. We agreed on shipping priority mail with $1500 insurance on each gun (it was a trade) and he had my gun in 4 days, when it took over a MONTH to get the one he sent me. Prick said he sent priority insured but really waited until he got my gun (probably to see if he liked it first) then mailed parcel post by boat from Alaska with no insurance. He's a well known seller on 24hr campfire so beware certain guys from Alaska on that forum...

Did those guys in Hodgkins get you sorted out and deliver your testing equipment?

Yes. Received it Thursday. Waiting for my cable for my camera to post some pictures (my cell phone sucks as a camera)

I should have the cable April 1st and then the pics and videos will commence.....including my SAM7K pistol

Yes. Received it Thursday. Waiting for my cable for my camera to post some pictures (my cell phone sucks as a camera)

I should have the cable April 1st and then the pics and videos will commence.....including my SAM7K pistol

Hey, thats awesome, if you don't mind, tell me about the finish on it. I've heard the finish/coating on these exceed that of a lot of the former models. lol, April 1st is likely when I'm picking one up, sure wish there was a local FFL dealer with reasonable prices so I could hand pick one... ARGGG! **** and ******** both have em in stock, but watch... they will be gone come April first, a cruel April fools day joke! (I guess posting who has em in stock won't help my case much, huh?) The pistol sounds tight too btw.

Not quite sure how to describe the finish (its milled) but I'll try

Nice semi gloss looking black.....doesnt give a "bare metal" scratch with the safety lever nub......but I am going to follow the suggestion of KVAR and buy some CLP for my cleaning\oiling

Pictures will tell a better story and I wont have a chance to fire it until next week (tons of Overtime this week), but it should shoot exactly like my SAM7K and it is awesome smooth as butter

EDIT: Added shit quality cell phone pics until camera cable arrives

post-22193-0-15492000-1364673883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saiga Power
  • Like 1

Power, I just picked up a Break-Free CLP Collectors Kit a couple days ago, I've heard the same thing, that it was real easy on finishes and has a high flash point. A lot of people swear by it. Nice SAMs btw, once you've had the chance to light em up, let me know what you think compared to you're SAM7K.

Edited by redrocker35