Can anyone from Northern Illinois chime in?

So i'm visiting family tomorrow by Antioch and wanted to know what the ordinance for shooting outdoors was, stupid question but could we just go out into the woods, set up targets and start shooting? The only other time I shot outdoors was on a friends private property in Wilmington.

Find out if the shooting location is in the city limits (don't even think about shooting!) or outside the city limits. If it's outside the city limits (you said it's by Antioch) you could contact the Sheriff's Department for a definite answer. Get the name and title of the person you talk to at the Sheriff's office, in case there's any problem. It's usually not a problem, in an un-incorporated part of a county, but I live south of I-80/Chicagoland.

Just make sure the neighbors (if there any nearby) aren't going to complain, and you have permission of the property owner.

Lake County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Mark Curran Jr.
25 S. Martin Luther King Jr Av
Waukegan, IL 60085

Business Hours Phone:

Sheriff@lakecountyil.gov.

thanks I called the sheriff for lake county and they transferred but nobody answered (kept ringing), I looked up a map of and in antioch and about half a mile from my cousins house is unincorporated land, now i just have to find out if it is legal to shoot there by contacting the local pd

If you don't know the area well and the people in the vicinity I wouldn't do that. Lake County isn't Crook County, but it just seems like a bad idea to me. If you go north into Free America a few miles you can find the Bristol shooting ranges, which is a large outdoor range complex that looks pretty inexpensive to use. Consider giving them a call instead.

http://www.bristolranges.com/web/Locating_CCKC/Locating_CCKC.htm

called the sheriffs office, they said that it is only allowed on private property in unincorporated land and no neighbors within 300 feet. We drove out to Article II range instead but next time we will check out the bristol shooting range since its near by although expensive to enter ($30).

Edited by saigoon