Figured Id start a build thread for my S308. Started with a stock, unconverted, 21.8" gun purchased at KVAR. Gun was built in 2009.

First phase consisted of removing the existing trigger and linkage setup along with the plate on the bottom, and replaced with a Texas AK double hook trigger, a surplus safety lever, MD Arms grip, and a CSS handguard. For magazines, so far I've attained a few CsSpec 20rnd magazines. For aesthetics, I removed the sheet metal cover spot welded to the gas tube. I touched up the bare spots with a gloss Rustoleum paint (All I had on hand, but it shouldnt stay for long).

Heres a few pics of it's current state.

20130325_201219.jpg20130325_201210.jpg20130325_201158.jpg

• Like 1

Next stage, I will be removing the barrel from the receiver, chop to 18", recrown and thread 5/8x24. Also, I will be replacing the rear sight base with the Kalashnikov Optics Platform (K.O.P.) designed for the PSL/RPK. I'll be running the long picatinny rail along with a Burris PEPR mount and a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 scope (already aquired).

A Griffin Armament 7.62 Flash Comp, CSS AR stock adapter, and either a MOE or CTR stock with cheek riser will be added.

The third stage will be to weld shape, cut, and weld the factory trigger guard to the mag release tower and rivet it in place. I will probably remove the left side scope rail and weld up any remaining holes. Once all the metal work has been done, I will throw the gun in my media blaster and prep for parkerizing. Thinking of going with a moly resin top coat or just leave it parkerized.

Nice rifle. I'd love to have a 308.

Thanks, but its far from done. It should end up a pretty capable battle rifle when its all said and done.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

CSS supplies a front mount that clamps to the barrel via 4 bolts which is installed just behind the gas block. The handguard then screws into it. Very solid and does not utilize the gas block pins in any way.

Norotor,

What front sight are you running? Is it a clamp on ACE?

Ah thats really nice, I might have to switch to that handguard, I haven't finished modifying the Midwest industries handguard on mine, it's a pain grinding down the mount to fit our bigger 308 barrels.

Yeah it's the ace clamp-on. It's a nice solid piece but if if you buy directly from ace, AKA riflestocks.com it takes a long time to get it; think I waited almost 2 months till it arrived.

Received the sabrewerks KOP system in the mail yesterday and was immediately impressed with the overall fit and finish. The two pieces fit together with no movement whether vertical or horizontal pressure applied. The scope mount is solid and should have no problems maintaining zero. Theres room for some minor improvements that i will touch on later, but overall, im completely satisfied with the purchase decision. Ill link some pictures later

• 3 weeks later...

The Texas AK d.h. Triggers Are The Bomb! I Recently Sold My Saiga 223 And Had Built It With The Texas AK Dh And Had Had To Sell The Rifle With It Still In Said Rifle...One Of The Main Things They Loved About The Rifle. I Put A Tapco B2b In The &08 Build, DBut Will Change Out Asap . There Is A.world Of Difference!

Edited by unclejake
  • 3 weeks later...

Why are you guys removing the barrel to have it shortened? When I bought my 308, I sent it to my smith to be restored. He shortened the barrel, crowned, & threaded it w/o removing the barrel. He works on AK's all the time & made a special jig to turn the whole gun on his lathe. His work is excellent, & people send him guns to work on from all over the country. GARY

N4KVE my uncle that's a machinist did the same thing. I know that was easier. But I think sone people have an easier time removing the barrel and just taking that to any old machinist.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are you guys removing the barrel to have it shortened? When I bought my 308, I sent it to my smith to be restored. He shortened the barrel, crowned, & threaded it w/o removing the barrel. He works on AK's all the time & made a special jig to turn the whole gun on his lathe. His work is excellent, & people send him guns to work on from all over the country. GARY

Can I get a # to contact your smith?Thanks Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get a # to contact your smith?Thanks Gary

I would also like to know who this is. Please PM me his information.

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile since I've made any updates. I've since pressed the barrel out, and is on it's way to ADCO to be shortened to 18", crowned, and threaded 5/8x24. They are also going to contour the barrel directly behind the threads for me to reattach my front sight. Using them, they guarantee the threading will be concentric to the bore. And they're reasonably priced. For everything mentioned plus reparkerizing, I'm out $130. I could have found someone local, but I have all the tools, and I don't know any smiths who are knowledgeable about the ak platform.

I will say this, the Russians idea of a press fit is .02", even up to .025". That included, not only the barrel journal, but also the front sight and gas block. It took quite a bit of force on my 20 ton press to bust them loose. Even the barrel pin. I bent 1/4" plate I milled out to support the trunnion when pressing the barrel pin out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got a little more work done. Got the barrel back from ADCO, which turned out great. While I had the barrel out, I went ahead and removed the side scope mount, tig'd up all the extra holes including the bho slot, and welded the original trigger guard to the mag release tower. It was riveted in place, along with re-riveting the forward most hole of the rear trunion which was removed when I took off the scope mount

Won't it void the warranty on your suppressor to put it on a kalashnikov? There are so many people whose threads are not concentric to and paralell with the bore.

I think it depends on who you buy your suppressor from.  YHM doesn't seem to say anything about it on their warranty page.  Some suppressor makers don't even offer their products in M14x1LH to keep them from going on an AK.  Kind of irrelevant here since Sapper's rifle was threaded on a lathe.  I had mine done on a lathe also, in case I ever want to put a can on it.  But my gunsmith was able to do it without having the barrel removed.  A friend had his VEPR done at the same time, but we had to remove that one, since his jig wouldn't work with the slant cut receiver.  MIne was done in 9/16-24, which gave 100% thread engangement.  Wouldn't have gotten that with 5/8-24 according to my smith.

Nice. I thought I had actually read the AK prohibition on YHM. I'm still pretty sure GemTech and SilencerCo have that rule. It actually makes sense to me to deliberately get an overbore suppressor. I can't remember the name, but there is a company which makes a can with a 9mm hole that is rated up to mid power .308 rounds and had fairly decent decibel ratings even with smaller projectiles. It was on the heavy side, but it was remarkably versatile. The steel version was just under $700.

Like zagumennyyilya stated, the suppressor co will never know what weapon their can was attached to. The barrel not be concentric/parallel to the bore doesn't apply to mine as my threads were cut concentric on a lathe, which is why I sent it off to adco as they guarantee it to be right. I wasn't comfortable with any local smiths to do the work nor knew of any with a jig like those who did netpackrats gun. I'll check with a dowel rod also to ensure no hang ups.

Edited by sapper1371usmc