Salem 6 Hand Guards Available

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got my shipping notification. Should be here in a few days. I am 2 parts closer to doing my stock chop.

I do like this fore guard the best. I like how it is big and round on the bottom for a good grip. I'll get me one when they have it ready for the XN model. But these guys seem to take forever to get

LOL, drilling holes for cheater bars. My kinda guy. Just beat on it with a hammer. Big waffle head claw hammer. Beat the hell out of it and post the pics. Even better take a vid. Put it on youtube a

Alright maybe I'm overreacting a little. However when the sight shows step by step easy pictures and doesn't mention extra tools it is rather annoying. I just got the email from them saying they'll send a new rod out, I replied asking how long that'd take so we shall see. Right now I just need to find this tool (which no parts store in my town had heard of) or hire one or more of the marvel avengers to loosen this rod.

I guess someone has to be the guinea pig. Ah well. While its apart I might as well work on my 922r compliance and stock swap. The new rod should gain me two us parts so a drop in trigger should put me in business.

Bottom line is I want to play with my new toy and I hate waiting. However, since they're sending me a new rod anyway, I might as well drill a hole thru this one and stick a Cheater bar thru it.

LOL, drilling holes for cheater bars. My kinda guy. Just beat on it with a hammer.

Big waffle head claw hammer. Beat the hell out of it and post the pics.

Even better take a vid. Put it on youtube and post it here.

OMG I so want to see that.

Or you could just put a little heat where the rod screws into the receiver like was mentioned

earlier.

Thats what I did.

But hell no. Drill holes for cheater bars then beat the hell out of it.

Can't wait for the vid.

As far as instructions. Your letting Salem off way too easy.

They should have sent someone over to install it for you.

• Like 1
Alright maybe I'm overreacting a little. However when the sight shows step by step easy pictures and doesn't mention extra tools it is rather annoying. I just got the email from them saying they'll send a new rod out, I replied asking how long that'd take so we shall see. Right now I just need to find this tool (which no parts store in my town had heard of) or hire one or more of the marvel avengers to loosen this rod.

I guess someone has to be the guinea pig. Ah well. While its apart I might as well work on my 922r compliance and stock swap. The new rod should gain me two us parts so a drop in trigger should put me in business.

Bottom line is I want to play with my new toy and I hate waiting. However, since they're sending me a new rod anyway, I might as well drill a hole thru this one and stick a Cheater bar thru it.

If the guys at your "parts stores in my town" don't know what a stud removal tool are they are in the WRONG business. Try here.......http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_stud-remover-autocraft_9020069-p?searchTerm=stud+removal+tool# Just be a little patient. Regardless of what you are "modifying" guns, cars, attitudes, etc. the work required can definitely WEAR on you. Especially when you are wanting to "play". You have TO find comfort in knowing what the END result will produce or be willing to pay someone to do it for you. Good luck with your build and BE PATIENT!

Edited by Oncebitten
Is there a trick to this? I've used penetrating oil and I haven't even pissed the thing off yet. Help?

I think tooth and nail had a video where he removed it with an automotive tool. I will look for the video.

Here is the video. What you want starts at about 4:25....

I notice there is a flow problem with the mold for these lowers, at 9:30 you can see really big air pockets where the plastic tried to flow around the radius but their mold design is wrong and leaving large voids. I'm kind of surprised they didn't X-ray these parts before going to production and adjust the mold design to fix this. Actually this kind of flow issue is a fairly common problem around a radius area and would be anticipated. So when they cut it apart and I seen those voids, I was thinking really!

thats wierd its being such a pain. mine came off fairly easy. i wrapped the receiver with a rag then lightly clamped it in a vice then used vice grips at the base of the rod and it didnt need much force to loosen. if you have a little propane torch you can put a little heat on the base of the rod to break the lock tite. i didnt need to heat mine but if yours is stuborn then heat may be needed.

Here's another source for a Stud Extractor.....A cheaper one anyway! http://www.harborfreight.com/12-drive-stud-extractor-69466.html

I walked around harbor freight for 45 minutes looking for that tool; all I had to do was look at their website... ended up putting the upper in a vise and using a small pipe wrench with some good tape to avoid marring the rod. Worked well.

I have been trying to find 9" rails to fit this hand guard. The only ones I can find are the DiamondHead VRS 9" Rail Kit. But. they are sold out everywhere. I emailed the company and asked if they were flat on the bottom and when they would be available. They responded with all kinds of information except for the two questions I asked. Anybody familiar with these rails or have any ideas where to get 9" rails to go around the Salem 6 hand Guard?

I have been trying to find 9" rails to fit this hand guard. The only ones I can find are the DiamondHead VRS 9" Rail Kit. But. they are sold out everywhere. I emailed the company and asked if they were flat on the bottom and when they would be available. They responded with all kinds of information except for the two questions I asked. Anybody familiar with these rails or have any ideas where to get 9" rails to go around the Salem 6 hand Guard?

This kit doesn't have a 9" rail but you could get two kits and butt the rails together. Pretty nice kit for hand guard attachments. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1544/Ultimate-Rail-Kit-Tapco/Detail

Edited by Oncebitten

Well, I loosened the guide rod off by heating it a little with a MAPP gas torch, and then used cardboard + vice grips. Worked great.

I used two magpul rails (11 slot each) to extend the full length.. it isn't continuous, as the ends are curved, but it works.

I put my op rod in a vice between two pieces of wood and tightened it to the point of not wanting

to put anymore pressure on the rod....Guess what happend! It didn't budge!! But heating it like

was mentioned in the previous post did the trick!! You dont have to heat it but just to where its really

warm to the touch...After heating the op rod broke free and easy....

My thoughts is if it doesn't break free by locking the op rod in a vice and turning the upper by hand

you should use heat to keep the rod from possibly shearing off into the upper receiver..I don't like

the Idea of putting my upper receiver in a Vice..

2013-04-07175801_zps8f21fa68.jpg

Edited by duggr

2013-04-07175715_zps01cf20f4.jpg2013-04-07175821_zps4b38a1e9.jpg2013-04-07175715_zps01cf20f4.jpgMr.BlahX3

No i didn't....I have the Long F.B. XN Hand-guard with the Stainless Steel op rod!...Op Rod is built like a tank, Solid Stainless

in the white (non Anodized)...Just in from Saiga Stock last Saturday!

Edited by duggr
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, it took me much longer than expected to complete the Salem 6 hand Guard install with full length rails. I ran into two problems during the install that were no fault of Salem 6 but the fault of the manufacturers never ending design and spec changes from gun to gun. I have a pre XN model MKA-1919. I took out the guide rod using a stud remover and that worked great. The first problem was that the Salem 6 Rear Mounting plate has a small alignment pin that goes into the MKA receiver. The problem was the MKA receiver had no more then a dimple where a hole needed to be. I brought the receiver out to the drill press and made the dimple deeper to fit the Salem 6 mounting plate. I installed the guide rod and mounting plate. My next problem was the cup nut that goes on over the spring and tightens up everything onto the guide rod. It would not thread onto the new Salem 6 guide rod. Although the last outer nut that I would need to install fit like butter. After measuring things it turns out the rod was slightly larger than the nut opening. I took some emery cloth and rolled it up and inserted it into the nut. I rotated it for a minute in a direction that made the emery cloth tighten in the nut. I then checked to see if the nut fit. I did this over and over for about an hour. I did not want to take to much off at one time. Then the nut finally fit perfectly on the new guide rod. I had checked the fit on the old guide rod before I started sanding and the fit was really loose and sloppy. The cup nut fits much better on the Salem 6 guide rod.

The only place I could find 9" full length rails was from Diamondhead. They recently became available again after being out of stock for a while. They fit the Salem 6 Hand Guard perfectly for length as you can see in the photos. The problem was the rails were not flat on the bottom. I went and bought some Aluminum flat bar 1/8" X 1/2". I cut three pieces the length of the rails and then drilled the matching holes. The channel in the rail fits the aluminum bar perfectly. I bought 10-32 oval nuts and then put Duracoat on the bars and oval nuts. I used 10-32 X 5/8 Flat Head Allen Screws to attach the rails. The two center holes on the rail match the Salem 6 Hand Guard perfectly. The next two holes moving outward on the rail fit snugly , but do match up with the Hand Guard. The last two outer most holes could have been filed a little on the Salem 6 Hand Guard to fit them but I chose to use the installed rail as a guide and use the drill press. The final fit and finish looks great. I really like the build quality of the Salem 6 Hand Guard.

Salem6B.jpg

Salem6E.jpg

Salem6C.jpg

Edited by Venomous

Does the shorter rod limit you to 2.75" rds only?

No, If you look at the factory rod when you remove the hand guard you will notice the factory rod is longer after the cup nut for no reason. Salem 6 took out the extra length that looks like it is only there for mounting the factory hand guard.