• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the fonghoul is that?   Sorry I am old school, aka Rat patrol  

Looks very unspectacular.....just like ANY suv type vehicle these days.....seen one seen 'em all.

If I win the lotta, gonna do this Brute conversion to my YJ.

Posted Images

My 94' YJ with 33's, lockers front and rear, 4:10 gears, AX-5 tranny, and with the lil' 2.5 lt. motor, I'm lucky to see 12-13 mpg, and that's after a vortex ram air intake plate, high performance coil, wires, and plugs, and a K&N air filter.In 4 low granny, that baby will drive itself up a rediculous incline. Even had the front tires come up off the ground when climbing once.

Years ago, I saw a video conversion with a 3.8 ltr.? diesel from an Isuzu box truck. Sure would eventually like to do that swap.

My 94' YJ with 33's, lockers front and rear, 4:10 gears, AX-5 tranny, and with the lil' 2.5 lt. motor, I'm lucky to see 12-13 mpg, and that's after a vortex ram air intake plate, high performance coil, wires, and plugs, and a K&N air filter.In 4 low granny, that baby will drive itself up a rediculous incline. Even had the front tires come up off the ground when climbing once.

Years ago, I saw a video conversion with a 3.8 ltr.? diesel from an Isuzu box truck. Sure would eventually like to do that swap.

I really like what I'm reading, other than the 2.5L... 4.0s are TOUGH as nails and about $200 a pop. You're way over due for an upgrade.

I also know a good ole' boy or two that will rework a 4.0 head to make it something nasty, and another couple boys that can help you build a 4.0 into a 4.6 that runs 10s in the 1/4 mile in a CJ7 and sounds like small aircraft while doing it... Last time I talked to him he had over 200 passes on it without pulling the valve cover.

• Like 1
Look for a Diesel Wrangler in 2014. Sounds like they passed the EPA constraints with it.

I have a very close friend that works with fuel systems for Chrysler. He's been saying for 2 years that they are going that direction.

I can only dream!!!

I really like what I'm reading, other than the 2.5L... 4.0s are TOUGH as nails and about $200 a pop. You're way over due for an upgrade.

Yeah, I know. I was on a mission a couple years back to build a high output 4.0. Between divorce (which I got the much, much better deal on), laid up from surgery, and work lay offs, it kinda fell through. With the availability of many months of work coming my way here in a couple weeks (and hardly nothing for bills), my main focus is doing the ball joints on my Dodge diesel, and new tires, and buying my Rokon Trailbreaker (that I've wanted for 20 some years). THEN, it'll be play time with moddin' out my pony (Jeep)!

When the time comes, I may have to send the head out to that good ole' boy if I go with a 4.0, unless of course I go with a diesel. Would be nice to run veggie oil if I had to.

I also know a good ole' boy or two that will rework a 4.0 head to make it something nasty, and another couple boys that can help you build a 4.0 into a 4.6 that runs 10s in the 1/4 mile in a CJ7 and sounds like small aircraft while doing it... Last time I talked to him he had over 200 passes on it without pulling the valve cover.

It looks pretty good.

I am not a Jeep guy, but my all time favorite car that I owned was a black 1980 Jeep CJ7. I still wish I never got rid of that thing. It was an amazingly cool Jeep.

DUDE!!! You can't let the love of your life slip away like that! Sell some watches and get a CJ7 back in your life!!!

Seriously though... I found my Dad's dreamcar in Utah in Hemming's Motor News and had its shipped back to the rust belt. CJ7s are WAY easier than that. Name your options and a-huntin' I will go!!!

Look for a Diesel Wrangler in 2014. Sounds like they passed the EPA constraints with it.

I have a very close friend that works with fuel systems for Chrysler. He's been saying for 2 years that they are going that direction.

I can only dream!!!

They are already running them overseas. We can't have them because of EPA Regulations. That's why they only made a diesel Liberty for one year. I ran into a guy who has a tricked out Grand Cherokee with a diesel that he brought back from being stationed overseas. I don't know how he got away with that but he did. He said it was a toss up between the Grand and a diesel Wrangler and he got the Grand.

• Like 1

I like it- with reservations. I sold my 92 YJ last year. It was fun but I'm not into off road rallying and the like. The wife still has her Cherokee Laredo and it will suffice in the slipery stuff with more comfort and storage. Both with the I-6, my fave. If money were no object, build the Hurricane and it's mine. THAT one is for Manly Men. The new Cherokee looks at home in the 'burbs. Wait 5 years, buy one used and then get it dirty.

• Like 1

I like it. For average drivers, it will probably exceed their needs as-is when it comes to off road capability. The average driver is the intended target, not the serious off-roader. I have a bone stock Suburban and it's capability far exceeds the demands of my use for it. If I want a bad ass mud truck or rock crawler, I'll build one from something older that I won't mind beating the shit out of and breaking.

• Like 1

Enough of this crap about JKUs not being "real" Jeeps. They put an extra door on the Wrangler and made it longer. So what? They should've done it with the TJ Unlimited. The TJU and CJ Scrambler were both long jeeps - but having two doors only was what made them "real"? Gimme a break. The JK is still a solid-axle vehicle that can be built and modded, and is one of the last real 4x4s on the market that can be taken out and abused right off the showroom floor.

I hated the JKU when it first came out. I thought it was retarded-looking, but after daily-driving a small TJ for 5+ years, the ability to have a comfortable on-road ride, lots of room, and easy access to all of it via 2 extra doors really snuffs out any of those complaints. When I'm done with my TJ, a JKU will be what replaces it in the driveway - or depending on my financial situation, the TJ might just stay and the JKU can park next to it.

As for the new Cherokee - bleh. The Cherokee used to be a tough vehicle that in many ways was a better off-roader than the Wrangler, and was nearly mechanically indestructible. Honestly the Jeep Commander looks like it should've been the Cherokee replacement. It looks almost exactly identical

Not this thing. Looks like yet another minivan-crossover SUV. Notice how all of these things look identical, no matter who makes them? They're all designed around wind tunnel performance to maximize MPG, so they all end up looking the same. The only major differences are in where the lights are placed.

Fun Fact: The Jeep Liberty was sold in the rest of the world as the Cherokee. Jeep/Chrysler was stuck on a bend of patriotic naming schemes at the time, so they decided to switch things up. I still hate Chrysler for scamming TJ/Liberty owners out of a diesel option, after they only offered it for several years in the Liberty and then mysteriously cut the option due to "lack of customer demand," despite the fact that there was a dealer waiting list for the CRD diesel Liberty.

I can only dream!!!

They are already running them overseas. We can't have them because of EPA Regulations. That's why they only made a diesel Liberty for one year. I ran into a guy who has a tricked out Grand Cherokee with a diesel that he brought back from being stationed overseas. I don't know how he got away with that but he did. He said it was a toss up between the Grand and a diesel Wrangler and he got the Grand.

The EPA restrictions are a load of crap - of course we already know this. I've lived in Spain where the majority of vehicles are diesel. The myth of particulate is bunk. It's crazy how many Americans still think that diesels smoke and belch black soot.

P.S. I was working on a vehicle loading dock last year where they were loading up Wranglers for delivery to foreign markets. A line of them passed me by as I was walking to the ship. ALL of them were diesel - every single one. You can't imagine how pissed off I was. Assembled here in the US with VM Motori licensed-manufactured engines, but we can't even buy them.

You can definitely see the Daimler-Benz influence.

That was the 98 to 2007 influence that trashed a lot of good mercedes. The other way around!

I'd say it's shareholder influence. The new model is obviously cheaper to make. Less materials, more plastic, more planned obsolescence.

Is the Jeep made in Mexico like the Dodge trucks?

You can definitely see the Daimler-Benz influence.

That was the 98 to 2007 influence that trashed a lot of good mercedes. The other way around!

I'd say it's shareholder influence. The new model is obviously cheaper to make. Less materials, more plastic, more planned obsolescence.

Is the Jeep made in Mexico like the Dodge trucks?

I don't know so much. My Father in law in the UK has a very quick AMG which is a damn nice car! I still think Mercedes makes nice rides.

I think we need to give the new Grand Cherokee a chance. It may look like all the other Cross-overs and SUVs but looks aren't everything. My in laws in the UK bought a Range Rover Evoque which after I looked into it, it really is a pretty but capable vehicle offroad to a certain extent.

http://youtu.be/HPGGv7jWFRM

Edited by MT Predator
how many people would drive their new $77.000 dollar RR through a river bed of unknown depth?????

I'm guessing only the factory sales department that had it pre-tested. rolleyes.gif

They run a little over $40K. A good loaded Grand Cherokee is in the same price range. Price a loaded Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited lately?

how many people would drive their new $77.000 dollar RR through a river bed of unknown depth?????

I'm guessing only the factory sales department that had it pre-tested. rolleyes.gif

They run a little over $40K. A good loaded Grand Cherokee is in the same price range. Price a loaded Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited lately?

Edit to add look at the damn Call of Duty Editions if you are feeling really rich.

everybody I ever knew who had a Bronco got left in the mud by the Jeeps. No pun intended.wink.png

Or Found On Road Dead!