Midwest Industries

So they have a saiga specific section for handguards here:

But I was interested in this one with the extended handguard because I have a 20 inch barrel:

Will the universal ones work on a Saiga or do I need to pick one of the Saiga specific models?

Edited by tritium
: nonvendor links removed

I put the standard Extended AK one on my rifle. I did however get a regular AK gas tube for it to work. The Saiga gas tube would need the sheetmetal cover removed for it to fit.

I also went with the optic specific gas tube cover. The railed cover may have more room under it. I'm not sure.

Edited by tsc91

It's really not all that bad to take a dremel to the stock gas tube and remove the heat shield. There are 4 tack welds that hold it in place... take one of the grinding stones to it until you get it really thin then attack it with some pliars until it pops off or tears around it. Once you get the shield off completely you can grind the remaining welds smooth. It's about an hour's worth of work, altogether.

It's really not all that bad to take a dremel to the stock gas tube and remove the heat shield. There are 4 tack welds that hold it in place... take one of the grinding stones to it until you get it really thin then attack it with some pliars until it pops off or tears around it. Once you get the shield off completely you can grind the remaining welds smooth. It's about an hour's worth of work, altogether.

Good idea. Is it unpainted underneath?

I have a Chaos on my 762 so I don't need to remove it anyway but if I wanted a Kvar handguard it'd fit with the stock gas tube if the heat shield is removed? Its ugly so I'm taking mine off regardless.

Ya remove the heat shield and what I like to do is take my dremel and a thin cutting wheel and cut some vent slots in it. I put 3 slots per spine then take a 1/8th drill bit and hit the center of each slot to open it up a bit. This does nothing but make it run a bit cleaner and a cool fire ball at night out of the gas tube but if you do decide to do this remember to not slot into the spines that contact the gas piston.