Not like, roses and tulips (unless you're just into that type of thing), but small scale vegetable garden. And i have a couple of boston ferns hanging on the front porch. One of them is doing great, the other had a couple of small, brown and red birds build a nest in it, so i wasn't able to bring it in when it dropped down to 29. But are these ferns supposed to hold water? I noticed the root system is on top, and they won't take much water.

Also, i want to plant some tomatoes, onions, and maybe some corn. Any suggestions on planting time or tips on cultivation in the southeast? I know i could find the answers online, but i'd rather discuss it with y'all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Added some arches for the peas and beans this year. Tomatoes peppers and eggplant well under way from seed. We got about 500 pounds of produce last year. Hoping for another bumper crop this year.  

Yeah, yeah... Most people don't realize how big and rural most of NY is, bagged or not.   I've posted an aerial picture of my farm on here before I think. The entire area behind the barns was the g

Like fffpatriot, we have to deal with Montana's short growing season. It's way more prep than you will need. Cold frames and hoop houses are about the only way we can grow all the things we want/nee

Posted Images

If planting from seed you wanna get what you want to grow started germinating now, so the seedlings will be ready by the time we have our last frost. I got my pepper and tomato seeds a couple weeks ago. Been two damn busy lately to get em started like I should have, but there's still time. If doing it the first time you would prolly do better to start with store bought baby plants and transplant them when the ground is ready. I'm hoping to get mine started germinating this weekend. This year I'm growing a few of the world record hottest chile peppers, including THE hottest to date, the Carolina Reaper, and also a couple different kinds of Ghost Pepper.....and lots of others. anger.gif

If planting from seed you wanna get what you want to grow started germinating now, so the seedlings will be ready by the time we have our last frost. I got my pepper and tomato seeds a couple weeks ago. Been two damn busy lately to get em started like I should have, but there's still time. If doing it the first time you would prolly do better to start with store bought baby plants and transplant them when the ground is ready. I'm hoping to get mine started germinating this weekend. This year I'm growing a few of the world record hottest chile peppers, including THE hottest to date, the Carolina Reaper, and also a couple different kinds of Ghost Pepper.....and lots of others.

+1. He's in Birmingham so good advice. Interested in the peppers bro!

• Like 1

I'm starting my tomatoes tommorow. I built an insulated and vented hotbox with a double paned insulated 2'x4'window I mounted with hinges on top. The plywood box is lined and caulked with Reflect-X, with the exterior covered in black rubberized undercoated paint. Two soffit vents are cut into the sides, with velcro fastened to two Reflect-X strips that fasten over the vents at nighttime, due to the cold nights and short grow season here in Montana. I start the Heirloom seeds out in peat moss "Jiffy Strips" for a few weeks, then transfer them onto a modifyed (never been used aluminum transmission drain pan in the bottom of my hotbox. I also have a 10 watt incadescent shop light on a timer that stays on in cooler weather. When they start to outgrow the peat pots, I put them into those larger plastic Costco blueberry and strawberry containers. Come round June, I transfer them into 3 gallon Wilcoxsons ice cream containers,(two plants per container) that have several drainage holes dilled into the bottom, with last couple of inches of the container lined with pea gravel. The rest is filled with my special mix of previously composted fruits, vegetables, wheatgrass mats, eggshells, fish skins, entrails, bones, and worm excrements.I have a bunch of ripped down pine 1"x1"'s that I tie wire down (3 upright braces 5' tall)to the top and bottom of each ice cream container, with shorter one bi's lincoln logging the three uprights in three divided sections horizontally, so I have plenty of areas to tie up the branches the bigger and taller they get. By this time, its June, and a lot of the freezing danger is outta sight... but not always here in the Rockies! I've had to bring the plants inside to the kitchen before, even in July! Biggest,most flavourful, juiciest tomatoes I (or anyone else who had mine) ever ate! (unless were lying and they didn't wanna hurt my feelings).

Ahhhhhhhh! Spring is in the air!!

• Like 1

I'm growing tomatoes and peppers using 5 gallon plastic buckets with drip irrigation and timer. Tried it for the first time last year and it worked out great. I using approximately 20 buckets this season.

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1

Same with the "Quaken Aspen" groves. My ole' lady has acreage in the Gravellies which is loaded with aspens. Dead of winter, the snow is melted in a long wavy line where the aspens are, and theres a green hue where the snows gone. Lots of springs pumping close to the surface.

Best places to find elk shed horns also. I'm going shed hunting next week!

• Like 1

We had a 5 acre garden at one point. We sold tons of produce. Now I just put in what we will eat and store for our own use. Last year I was travelling alot and didn't bother. I'm on Vacation right now and the frost is out of the ground. I intend to get the till going here in the next few days and enlarge my plot a bit more. It was a bit crowded the year before last.

• Like 2
We had a 5 acre garden at one point. We sold tons of produce. Now I just put in what we will eat and store for our own use. Last year I was travelling alot and didn't bother. I'm on Vacation right now and the frost is out of the ground. I intend to get the till going here in the next few days and enlarge my plot a bit more. It was a bit crowded the year before last.

I thought farmers from New York planted bricks in their gardens, and grew buildings, and they never had to use compost or manure because of the abundance of liberals that inhabit that area?

I'm just half in the bag, and messin' with ya, Yeoldtool!

• Like 1

We've been very successfull at 5 gallon bucket gardening over the last few years, until the deer found them last year. We are working to the point of a full blown in ground garden, but our land needs alot of work to get there. Maybe this year, we will see. However, in central NH we have grown many types of squash, bell peppers, broccolli, tomato, hot pepper, zuccinni, various herbs, and other things in the 5 gal bucket garden. It's all in knowing your soil and knowing your local weather. We tried onion last year direct in ground, and it didn't produce. Corn I hear can be tricky, but we are gonna try that this year if we go to the in ground garden finally.

• Like 1

I thought farmers from New York planted bricks in their gardens, and grew buildings, and they never had to use compost or manure because of the abundance of liberals that inhabit that area?

I'm just half in the bag, and messin' with ya, Yeoldtool!

Yeah, yeah... Most people don't realize how big and rural most of NY is, bagged or not.beer.gif

I've posted an aerial picture of my farm on here before I think. The entire area behind the barns was the garden. Now it's all cattle corn. The second picture is the view from my backyard into Vermont.

post-23857-0-44902500-1364534063_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-35782800-1364534521_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 7
... The second picture is the view from my backyard into Vermont.

Is that the ridgeline between Bennington and Manchester by any chance?

My folks lived in Manchester for a while (myself in Danby, Londonderry and South Londonderry).

Edited by Dysfunctional

Here in the mountains of wnc me n wifey made multiple mini gardens as our land is steep and heavily forested. At one point we were using a mini greenhouse that we picked up for 300$ to start our vegetables. We haven't used it for a season tho we just start em in the basement w a light. That being said i dont know if we're going to be gardening this year as we just found out shes pregnant and we need to finish the basement so i have a man cave/safe firearm storage area lol

Oh, and we use plant boxes on both porches too.

Like fffpatriot, we have to deal with Montana's short growing season. It's way more prep than you will need. Cold frames and hoop houses are about the only way we can grow all the things we want/need. Wednesday was the full moon and the weather was nice so we planted our indoor starters. 60+ plants. Mainly tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, cabbage, peppers, leeks, and eggplant.

In a few weeks we will look to plant the cold crops outside in a hoop house. That will consist of peas, lettuce, spinach, radishes, onions, carrots, kolrabi, chard, zucchini, potatoes.

A few weeks later, around Memorial Day, we will put the indoor starters in the ground along with some corn, herbs, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, and some new experimental things.

We also have apples, cherries, plumbs, grapes, asparagus, strawberries, rhubarb, chives, mint, and raspberries. It's a lot to put up in fall.

Here is a photo showing about 2/3 of the operation. We have wood chips between the beds to assist with minimizing the weeds. We hooked up the drip and mist lines for each bed into our underground sprinkler system. So, it pretty much fire and forget.

Now, if I can just get the stupid fucking HOA covenants changed so we can raise poultry, we'd be set.

Oh, and one full bed of garlic was planted last November. Yum.

post-14994-0-19472100-1364574654_thumb.jpg

Edited by sunnybean
  • Like 7
... The second picture is the view from my backyard into Vermont.

Is that the ridgeline between Bennington and Manchester by any chance?

My folks lived in Manchester for a while (myself in Danby, Londonderry and South Londonderry).

No, That's looking east toward Killington through the Castleton River valley. Birdseye Mountains is on the center-right. If you look closely you can see Killington Mountain in a snow storm. It's "snow capped".

Very nice spread ya got up there, Yeoldtool!

Thanks, but...... being it's NY, just has a way of ruining it.

Edited by Yeoldetool
Yea, NY is huge, driven through it multiple times. It always leaves me wondering how a single city can possibly run your whole state's politics...

Same exact thing happens in Illinois with Shitcaca.

I used to grow carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and melons. Unfortunately, the critters always got to them, even with fencing and caging. I wanted to shoot them, but I live in a development and a school abuts my yard. Now I only grow flowers and herbs.

Three flats in the windows are coming up now. One chili, one other veggies, one flowers.

Our chili patch is watered by the irrigation ditch coming off the Rio Grande. Other is top water and some drip. Been working on new brick walkways and patios for the new growing season. Need a bunch of new fence due to the new boxer.

An armed gardener is a happy gardener.

We've been very successfull at 5 gallon bucket gardening over the last few years, until the deer found them last year. We are working to the point of a full blown in ground garden, but our land needs alot of work to get there. Maybe this year, we will see. However, in central NH we have grown many types of squash, bell peppers, broccolli, tomato, hot pepper, zuccinni, various herbs, and other things in the 5 gal bucket garden. It's all in knowing your soil and knowing your local weather. We tried onion last year direct in ground, and it didn't produce. Corn I hear can be tricky, but we are gonna try that this year if we go to the in ground garden finally.

My mom has been doing the same basic thing with her tomatoes and peppers for years, except she bought plant specific containers and put them on rolling dollies. If an animal starts to get into them at night, she just wheels them in the garage for a few days. For that matter, after it starts to frost as get cold she also moves them into the garage and leaves them by the door windows. She was getting tomatoes off of one plant until FEBRUARY one year!

Another good trick she does is sprinkle cayenne pepper all over them. It keeps just about everything away from eating them, except people that are smart enough to wash them off first! :)

I used to grow carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and melons. Unfortunately, the critters always got to them, even with fencing and caging. I wanted to shoot them, but I live in a development and a school abuts my yard. Now I only grow flowers and herbs.

I have the same problem with the varmints and deer eating everythin including habanero chili pepers. They not only eat the hot peppers but the entire plant. it's frustrating to work on a garden to have the deer eat it all after all, I was the one who did all the work and bought plants and seeds for the garden not the deer.

I have the same problem with the varmints and deer eating everythin including habanero chili pepers. They not only eat the hot peppers but the entire plant. it's frustrating to work on a garden to have the deer eat it all after all, I was the one who did all the work and bought plants and seeds for the garden not the deer.

Try putting a line of "blood meal" around the entire garden. We have also had very good luck with two strands of electric fence, spaced 6" and 12" above the ground. You can step over it but it deters the critters.

"From the Manufacturer
A high nitrogen source, our Blood Meal is guaranteed to promote rapid, green growth. A wonderful fertilizer for heavy feeders like corn, spinach, salad greens and garlic in the early spring, it also helps compost piles heat up and break down fast. Place some in mesh bags and hang from tree branches for an effective deer repellent in your garden."
Edited by Yeoldetool

its been extra cold as of late so i started out my seedlings indoor with CFL bulbs 6500k bulbs to match the vegetation light from this time of year soon im going to plant them outside

Edited by Battosaii

So, i was at home depot with my buddy and his wife last weekend, and she showed me all the pre-sprouted vegetables you can buy, and in a nice way, said she would suggest those, since its obvious i don't know what the fuck i'm doing. What's your thoughts on the alreaded sprouted plants? I think i'll try tomatoes and squash first, those seem to be pretty popular down here.

What all do i need? Some wire stand things for the maters, do the squash just grow on the ground? I'm going to do some oregano, basil, and parsley on the porch, and some catnip in a separate container so my cat can lay in it.

Anyone growing onions?

• Like 1
So, i was at home depot with my buddy and his wife last weekend, and she showed me all the pre-sprouted vegetables you can buy, and in a nice way, said she would suggest those, since its obvious i don't know what the fuck i'm doing. What's your thoughts on the alreaded sprouted plants? I think i'll try tomatoes and squash first, those seem to be pretty popular down here. What all do i need? Some wire stand things for the maters, do the squash just grow on the ground? I'm going to do some oregano, basil, and parsley on the porch, and some catnip in a separate container so my cat can lay in it. Anyone growing onions?

Tomatoes need 8-12 hours of full sunlight. Starter plants are great if you can get them at a decent price. I paid .99 a piece for the ones I purchased from a local nursery. I'm am growing tomatoes and bell peppers for the second year utilizing 5 gallon white buckets from Walmart. I also have them connected to a drip watering system on a timer. I also use Miracle Grow Tomato liquid fertilizer once a week. The bucket system is great so far.

Good luck,