Sign in to follow this  
Cobra 76 two

Most affordable (to buy) .50 BMG

I have a friend who is in the market for a .50, and asked me if I knew what the best price he could get on one is. Can I get some help here? I would think maybe a .50 cal upper for an AR? Like the Beowulf?

What is out there for the least expensive price, that isn't a total piece of crap?

Well, I wouldn't consider .50 Beowulf in the same category as .50 BMG.... it's more like .458 SOCOM and such. I mean, if your guy just wants something with .50 in the caliber, that would definitely be the way to go cheap-er. But when I hear "fifty cal", I automatically think of the BIG fifty.

Google for the Spartan 50 BMG upper. It's a bolt action AR-15 upper-half that looks like it takes Barret mags for a little over $1500.

Tony was really plugging his serbu. That looked to me like the one to buy, but I must admit I am no long range shooter.

My buddy built a .50 BMG using a BOHICA upper and a Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply lower like this one.

r50_1a.jpg

Edited by MT Predator

If I was you I'd suggest something like the .338 lapua, savage has a rifle in that cal for less than a grand. 111 long range hunter.

Safety Harbor in Florida was making .50 BMG uppers for AR-15 platforms. They were seriously backordered before the panic - I don't know what's up with them now.

My buddy built a .50 BMG using a BOHICA upper and a Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply lower like this one.

r50_1a.jpg

Weren't a lot of people finding that those bohica uppers made good grenades?

http://blog.ryjones.org/?s=bohica

That's news to me GunFun as I don't keep up with .50s. Looks like Safety Harbor uppers are questionable too. I'll give him a heads up.

My Serbu is the semi-auto. They run nearly $7,000.

Their single shot is a nice rifle as well, albeit a bit on the ugly side.

Tony

Look at the .338 lapua more accurate and cheaper all around.

If I was looking for a long range sniper rifle bigger than .300 win id go with the lapua. Plus if you reload you can save a buttload mire.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/12/jim-barrett/gun-review-savage-111-long-range-hunter-338/