One of our worst fears... (Reason to replace rail?)

I had a Sierra Ordinance install it, the railed gas block, chop the barrel and perm install the brake - so Lee from S.O. may be able to talk about the details on the install of the rail.

It comes with three screws, one larger than the other - apparently an analog to the larger rivet - and a roll pin. Hope to know more soon. There was another thread where folks wanted to know more about the CSS rail results, etc...

Have any pics inside the dustcover...where the larger screw head acts as the forward rivet? Was curious about this mod myself as i'm not to thrilled about the polymer rail...plus mine is slightly canted. Figured I could fix two problems with one replacement part...just wanted to hear others feedback first.

I had a Sierra Ordinance install it, the railed gas block, chop the barrel and perm install the brake - so Lee from S.O. may be able to talk about the details on the install of the rail.

It comes with three screws, one larger than the other - apparently an analog to the larger rivet - and a roll pin. Hope to know more soon. There was another thread where folks wanted to know more about the CSS rail results, etc...

Have any pics inside the dustcover...where the larger screw head acts as the forward rivet? Was curious about this mod myself as i'm not to thrilled about the polymer rail...plus mine is slightly canted. Figured I could fix two problems with one replacement part...just wanted to hear others feedback first.

soon :)

60ouTgB.png

3gX4kRf.jpg

UfNSvML.jpg

RN1FOt5.png

So far so good. I have not shot it yet.

Front screw head is bigger than the other two, not as big as the factory one. The gentlemen who installed it used the factory pin, not the roll pin that comes from CSS. I am glad that worked out. The factory pin is solid and heavy duty, IMO.

The CSS may have a larger ID where that pin goes because the cover moves more freely, rather liked it stiffer where it stuck in place when opening. Not sure what can be done about that if anything.

He mentioned one screw oddly protruded from the rail, so he cut it off and hit it with a blackening agent.

Right after taking these pics I put on my eotech, I will run it this weekend. Seems solid.

Someone mentioned using a JTE guide rod with this cover, I can't remember the exact reason for that - speak up if you do. I have a JTE rod here that i have for a S-12 project but may use it with the Vepr if need be. I had the barrel cut down so if there are any cycling issues I will go through the whole system to make it more efficent and hopefully run bulk pack again and that may include the JTE rod.

Questions? What should I be looking for in the CSS rail?

Edited by ec4321
  • Like 2
60ouTgB.png

3gX4kRf.jpg

UfNSvML.jpg

RN1FOt5.png

So far so good. I have not shot it yet.

Front screw head is bigger than the other two, not as big as the factory one. The gentlemen who installed it used the factory pin, not the roll pin that comes from CSS. I am glad that worked out. The factory pin is solid and heavy duty, IMO.

The CSS may have a larger ID where that pin goes because the cover moves more freely, rather liked it stiffer where it stuck in place when opening. Not sure what can be done about that if anything.

He mentioned one screw oddly protruded from the rail, so he cut it off and hit it with a blackening agent.

Right after taking these pics I put on my eotech, I will run it this weekend. Seems solid.

Someone mentioned using a JTE guide rod with this cover, I can't remember the exact reason for that - speak up if you do. I have a JTE rod here that i have for a S-12 project but may use it with the Vepr if need be. I had the barrel cut down so if there are any cycling issues I will go through the whole system to make it more efficent and hopefully run bulk pack again and that may include the JTE rod.

Questions? What should I be looking for in the CSS rail?

1) Can you take a picture directly from behind to see if there is any cant? (use a high aperture if you have a DSLR to avoid too much depth of field)

2) Can you take a picture of the spacing between the front screw head and the top of the bolt carrier?

3) When racking the bolt carrier, is it making any physical contact with the front screw head? (view directly from the right side)

4) Wipe the bolt carrier down, rack the bolt 4-5 times. Open the top cover, do you see any signs of contact/rubbing between the bolt carrier and the front screw head?

5) When shooting, place an optic at the very front of the rail or in front of the ejection port; are there any FTE's?

6) Wipe the bolt clean. After shooting, do you see any signs of bolt carier contact with the front screw head?

BTW That top alumnium rail looks sexy. Great job to the guys who worked on her. Yours is a one of a kind here in the U.S.

Miscellaneous Question: Did they weld on a rail or replace the factory with the railed version of the front gas block sight?

Don't have a DSLR, but I will take a picture as best as I can.

I am trying to think of an agent I can wipe on the bolt carrier to show rubbing - if I had a grease pencil that would be perfect.

Hopefully get something back tonight.

The Railed Gas block was purchased from Kvar and replaced the one that came on it, not a weld on, etc.

Any idea why the JTE rod was suggested?

Edited by ec4321

SE9e2DP.png

Ks2x9NY.png

BeYOBs4.png

jxfjhql.png

I took a sharpie and covered the rub spot on the piston, ran it back and forth violently with the cover up - and it went untouched. I then put the cover down and repeated - you can tell it make some contact with the cover down so presumably with violent action it does contact that bolt head but just barely.

I wouldn't have guessed it from pulling it all the way back and looking - there is a much bigger gap than the factory rivet.

One downside to the loose pin contact with the CSS rail is that the rail will rest against the sight leaf and scratch the anodizing. I cannot be sure all will as loose, but with mine I cannot position where I want the cover to rest as I was with the stock cover. If you pull the sight leaf forward first and let it rest then the cover it won't rub each other.

I will do some shooting this weekend and let you know what I find out. FYI I had the eotech on this one directly above the ejection port for testing when I first got it and had no FTEs with this firearm.

Edited by ec4321