Help With Ammo

Hey Guys,

I am new to the shotgun world. I picked up my Saiga 12 on Saturday. I purchased a flat of ammo that the sales rep recommended because it was cheap. After doing some research on here, I am a little concerned because its low brass, and it seems several people have had issues with that. I have a couple of questions, if anyone could help it would be greatly appriciated.

1. Anticipating a problem, i have already purchased a v plug. However, my factory sights are installed over where the plug is located. It sounds like I will need to be shooting from the #5 seting with the #8 ammo I have. Should I remove the front sight, install the v plug, then reinstall the sight? Will leaving the setting on 5 for slugs or buck shot cause problems? Has anyone else encountered this? I guess I could just leave the sight off alltogether and just buy something else.

2. The #8 shells i was sold (Estate dove and target load, white box). Size on the outside of the box say 12 gauge 2 3/4 inches 1 oz shot 8 shot (then in small print it says 3-1/4 Dram EQ. On the shell itself it says 70mm 3 1/4 -1 . Can i shoot these? I know this is a stupid question, but the sales guy didnt exactly kill me with confidence. Im not sure what the 3 1/4 means.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Slow down there and take a deep breath. One thing at a time. Take your gun out in it's stock configuration and shoot it. Don't change a damn thing until you shoot it first. Many run great right out of the box. If there is a problem after you shoot it, start reading and if you need more help, then ask a question. Set your factory plug to the number 2 setting and take your 5 round factory mag and go waste some ammo!

• Like 2

That ammo isn't really that bad. If its a newer made gun it'll probably run well on setting 2 with that ammo. You shouldn't have to touch the sight to remove/install a gas plug but like hog said, shoot it in stock form for awhile first and work out the bugs, then do your conversion. It'll save you many a headache.

• Like 1

Give it a try and see how it does; you may be OK. Shot a friend's SGL12 right out of the box with Estate Dove 7½ loads (1290fps?). Seemed to love them - no failures - ate 'em like Skittles. No real problems with Remington #8 target loads (1200fps) either. Now the Winchester AA #9s that were around 1140fps....that was another story.

Oh - and 3¼-1 probably represents the "3¼ dram equiv., 1 ounce of shot".

Edited by HammerofGod
  • Like 1

Thanks fellas,

I got caught up in watching youtube vids which made me spaz out. I cant leave the computer to stop looking at everybodies S12's, Im starting to understand how a crack head feels. Looking forward to posting some pics once shes up and running. Thanks again for the tips.

Thanks fellas,

I got caught up in watching youtube vids which made me spaz out. I cant leave the computer to stop looking at everybodies S12's, Im starting to understand how a crack head feels. Looking forward to posting some pics once shes up and running. Thanks again for the tips.

Heh. Welcome to the affliction!