How Much Louder Does Muzzle Brake Make Arsenal SGL 26-61 7.62?

Not quite what you are asking but i have a Romanian AKM with a Soviet slant muzzle brake and an AK-104 with the standard muzzle booster/flash hider and the 104 is a lot louder,which i suppose isn't helped by the shorter barrel.I have got an AK-74 style brake for the AKM and dont really notice much difference between that and the slant brake noise wise

Not quite what you are asking but i have a Romanian AKM with a Soviet slant muzzle brake and an AK-104 with the standard muzzle booster/flash hider and the 104 is a lot louder,which i suppose isn't helped by the shorter barrel.I have got an AK-74 style brake for the AKM and dont really notice much difference between that and the slant brake noise wise

Plugs and muffs and who notices.

UKAK, That's exactly what I'm talking about( I think anyway lol) do you have pics of the ones you described so i can compare?

The reason I ask is animals on our acrerage are spooked already by 3 1/2's in my Nitromag, 7.62x54r in the Mosin, .45 long colt in the Judge & the Saiga .223. (they don't seem too bothered too much by the M&P9 & smaller rounds though because of the lower dB) As much as we have tried, some escape their enclosure . It has come to mind (after much frustration and rounding em back up) that examples should be made which would give us a bonus of moving targets. chicken.gif022.gif Then I figure thier time will come soon enough! Back to what I was trying to nail down, comparatively, does the type of muzzle break on the this Arsenal SGL 26-61sgl2161-01.jpg

cause a major amount more percieved dB when compared to this slant type on This beautiful Russian redheaded RAK?

rak201225.jpg

Ah, now the two brakes for the Romanian AKM i have are exactly the same as the two in your pics and to be honest i havent noticed a great deal of difference noise-wise between the two, but saying that i havent tried the two without wearing ear defenders.

post-44524-0-54623900-1364841983_thumb.jpg

This is the Romanian beauty with Soviet clothes and the slant brake on smile.png

The scope isn't usually fitted, i only shoot this one with the irons.

Edited by UKAK

UKAK, I hear ya, even with my amplified enhancer/protectors... now if I could only convince those damn animals they ought to pony up for a pair of thier own, huh? Nice Romanian btw, I've always liked the way a detailed wood grain looks on these.

Edited by redrocker35
UKAK, I hear ya, even with my amplified enhancer/protectors... now if I could only convince those damn animals they ought to pony up for a pair of thier own, huh? Nice Romanian btw, I've always liked the way a detailed wood grain looks on these.

Thank you :)

Its a Russian wannabe as the furniture,muzzle brake,sling,mag and rear sight are all Soviet AKM items :)

I pose a question then, much of the time I stand inside a doorway of a old out building firing outside for target practice, any ideas on how to dampen the firearm's report. Would a 3 sided padded room w/ a firing platform with a egg crated ceiling be safe? I know it sounds like a extreme, but spending more time training and less time rounding up the critters would be make it worth my while if it can be done safely. I always wear ear defenders, so even if the pressure increased where I was, it would be ok I believe.

Im curious about the country of origin for your '74 style brake. Does it have an internal baffle similar to this one?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-140US.html

Or is it more like this one?

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/ak_flash_hiders.jpg

Im trying to determine the sound difference between having a baffle vs. not having one.

Is a sound moderater an option?

It would be a option if the tax-stamp/purchase cost wasn't a issue. After brushing up on the penalties for illegal possession, I wouldn't be caught with even a free one. One day maybe, but I would want something that was interchangeable with multiple calibers & barrels, does this exist? Wouldn't that be nice to see something like that brought to consumer markets without the need to expensive tax-stamps and excessive paperwork?

Im curious about the country of origin for your '74 style brake. Does it have an internal baffle similar to this one?

Im trying to determine the sound difference between having a baffle vs. not having one.

Its pretty much like the rusmilitary one.Its actually a Chinese copy of a Soviet AK-74 brake but made for 7.62x39 :)

Its pretty much like the rusmilitary one.Its actually a Chinese copy of a Soviet AK-74 brake but made for 7.62x39 smile.png

Cool. Im curious to see if the one with a baffle will make the rifle louder, vs. one that doesnt. Thanks for the prompt reply UKAK.

nothing about the AK-74 type brake is "louder", it simply redirects the blast in different directions, which gives the effect of greater blast depending on where you are in relation to it.. the shooter, and those directly to the right/left of the shooter, will perceive a harsher blast with the AK-74 type brake. the effect ahead of the muzzle may actually be less than with a bare muzzle or simple flash hider or slant brake, which do little to redirect the effects of the muzzle blast. I would try and find out for myself, but I can't run that fast.

• Like 2
nothing about the AK-74 type brake is "louder", it simply redirects the blast in different directions, which gives the effect of greater blast depending on where you are in relation to it.. the shooter, and those directly to the right/left of the shooter, will perceive a harsher blast with the AK-74 type brake. the effect ahead of the muzzle may actually be less than with a bare muzzle or simple flash hider or slant brake, which do little to redirect the effects of the muzzle blast. I would try and find out for myself, but I can't run that fast.

That does make sense, since I had the joy of having my SGL31 being fired, and me being present forward of the brake. Not fun. I was actually about 6 ft. to the left and 3 ft in forward of the muzzle. Very loud as opposed to being the one pulling the trigger. lol.

That does make sense, since I had the joy of having my SGL31 being fired, and me being present forward of the brake. Not fun. I was actually about 6 ft. to the left and 3 ft in forward of the muzzle. Very loud as opposed to being the one pulling the trigger. lol.

Not quite what you are asking but i have a Romanian AKM with a Soviet slant muzzle brake and an AK-104 with the standard muzzle booster/flash hider and the 104 is a lot louder,which i suppose isn't helped by the shorter barrel.I have got an for the AKM and dont really notice much difference between that and the slant brake noise wise

Thank you guys, this is great to know, having been down range sounds like a practical way to experience the difference with a AK-74 style brake. I've had a similar experience with one of our Mosin 7.62x54 rounds... wanted a closer look at the fireball but never again without ear defenders.

I can't help feel bad for large numbers of soldiers and Marines caught in roadside bombings and firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan that are coming home with permanent hearing loss and ringing in their ears. All to aware of the casualties of not only the major US conflicts and wars but training exercises as well.