Just secured a SAM7r

Atlanticfirearms.com has more in stock right now for $1299. My LGS's have them for $1499. I do want to change the furniture to a more traditional look like bake lite upper/lower hand guard and pistol grip. As far as the stock I have to find one compatible to milled receivers, anyone know where I can buy this? For the stock it seems it would need the cut out at the top and bottom for the dual tangs, right? I'm curious to any performance improvements with the double hook trigger as opposed to single hook. Also for the look I want to buy a bayonet but the lug on this rifle isn't on the sight block, but located in the middle on what looks like a cleaning rod support. So it looks like I need to find a proprietary bayonet to this rifle. What's the real difference between the classic and this SAM7r besides the furniture?

arsenalsam7r.jpg

Edited by CAGLS
I have wanted a milled receiver for a long time but damn these things are staying expensive wet_eyes.gif Congrats, though. Be sure to post up some pics once you have your stock setup complete

It was a matter of timing. I just sold the IZ132 (in the pic above) I converted for $1100, but purchased used at a higher panic price of $800 in stock sporter config. Never got to shoot it.

I ended up getting a Polish laminated stock set from RTG and also some bakelite furniture from AA-ok. What should I apply for the finish, shellack? I want the Polish laminate butt stock to match the bakelite.

I've shot my SAM7K with the mag shown.....

In a couple hours I will have shot my SAM7R-61 with the mag shown.....

Both have bullet guides installed in Mother Russia I would assume.....

post-22193-0-54178900-1365968422_thumb.jpg

I ended up getting a Polish laminated stock set from RTG and also some bakelite furniture from AA-ok. What should I apply for the finish, shellack? I want the Polish laminate butt stock to match the bakelite.

Amber shellac will in most cases be an orange/yellowish tone, which darkens over time. The polish laminate wood is somewhat dark on its own, so you may end up with a more reddish/deep orange look.

If your bakelite furniture is more of an orange/light red hue to it, you may be fine with just plan amber shellac over the stock. If it's a darker red, you might want to adjust the shellac's tint.

If you want a redder hue, mix in a small amount of iodine with the amber shellac. Test it on a piece of scrap, and adjust the amount of iodine until you're satisfied. This is a common formula to get that "Soviet red" look of the shellac, but it also depends on the type of wood that is underneath.

Usually only need about 2-3 coats of shellac. It will harden enough to recoat within a day, and will partially blend back into itself if you're using the cheap storebought amber shellac - this stuff has solvents premixed into it. Clean your brushes with denatured alcohol, which directly dissolves shellac. Shellac needs a couple of weeks to truly harden before handling, even when it appears to be dry.

Edited by mancat
I've shot my SAM7K with the mag shown.....

In a couple hours I will have shot my SAM7R-61 with the mag shown.....

Both have bullet guides installed in Mother Russia I would assume.....

Your making me want to get that pistol version.

Picked up my SAM-7R today and had to do a bit of filing to get the surplus laminate furniture to fit, pre drilled holes for the screws so it doesn't split the wood. The Polish surplus bayonet doesn't click in the lug so I'll have to file the tab so it catches. The lever to loosen the top hand guard front bracket bent from trying lock it back. I'm not able to lock it back in fear the lever will snap (update: I needed to file the front of the upper hand guard and now the lever can be pushed down to lock in place). I used Pauly's technique to stain the wood but instead of applying the poly coat I layered it with tung oil.:

The sun light brings out the colors better in the pic.

9545798c-6e24-4df9-a885-978e656d352a_zps

b0d3d10a-2606-4c78-83bc-aac364261280_zps55918bdd-df04-4cac-bf47-1be7cf096895_zps

Edited by CAKfan
  • 5 weeks later...