Silver soldering issues

I can't get the stuff to work right with my mapp torch, it's just not melting at all. I got the 1370 melting point stuff, I know propane maxes out at 3620 and mapp is hotter. So what gives. Even off the work it's not getting very melty.

I'm trying to blind pin my faux can to my yugo Krink.

cleaned the fool out of the can and removed the finish from a small area near the pin, cleaned it with autobody prep clean, tried rubbing alcohol also. Tiny bit of flux then clip a few small peices of solder around the hole.

It's a IGF can it is 6061 alum if memory serves correct.

Any ideas? I've brazed and soldered before, but never had this much issue and I know this stuff can be a super pain in the ass, but damn what gives?

update after speaking with several local smiths, they asked "who the hell told you that silver solder would work on aluminum?"

So I found a TIG welder that isn't far, which the one I have access to is very far. so yay?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

You need TIG.

Yup it's taken care of now. Melting point of 6061 is right near the min temp silver solder you have to use for blind pinning, I had no idea the regulations required a certain temp till I double checked one day the "approved" perm attachment methods.

glad we still have to follow the rules when the ruling classes are breaking them every day.

Just sayin'

"oh sorry about my non-compliant firearm. I declared an exemption for myself. What's the problem? You guys do it all the time."