Little Tighty

Good Thing when your talking about your girl, bad when its about your magazine well.

I currently have a 12 round banana magazine and a 20 round pro mag drum that i need to fit. They are fine on the width, but the length is definitely a problem. It seems like i'm going to have shave down the tabs on each side of the magazine well, almost all the way.

I have watched some vids on how to fit the mags on youtube, but it seems like he had to take off A LOT less than i need too.

Has anyone else had to remove a lot of plastic to get their mags to fit? Im nervous about messing up a 100 dollar drum.

Thanks fellas.

PS- Any tips on removing the factory stock? I feel like ive lost 2 lbs today wrestling with this thing on the floor. I cant get the screws to budge with a screwdriver, or cordless drill.

Edited by Tkamp24
  • Like 1

"Sides" or front and back?

For the 12, look up MD ARMS drum fitting A B & C fit. These directions will be good for all S12 magazines, and in theory should apply to other AK mags as well. It may seem like a lot of meat needs to be removed, but if you do the order right, you will be surprised how much difference a single swipe of a file could make on something that seemed like it would take a lot of material removal.

Follow the directions excactly and in the order they show and you will have good results. If you have more than one S12, I would make the release tabs the same length before fitting any magazines.

For the stock, the screws should be easy and there should be only 3. Maybe your screws are rusty and gripping the plastic more. I wouldn't worry about ruining the screws, since they suck anyway. Just use normal machine screws to replace them.

Once those come out, whack the top and bottom edges of the stock alternately in strokes angled away from the barrel toward the back and it will wiggle free.

Great advice from GF once again. I almost screwed up my new MD20 by not reading the directions as usual but caught myself before too much was removed. I actually did have to take more off than I thought was normal but my mags all fit nice and tight except the ProMag 10.

Well, thru watching more videos I figured out my problem. My Saiga came with a factory installed mag well. Dont know why it took me so long to figure it out. Guess that explains why the bastid wasnt fitting.

Should I take these too a gun smith for fitting or can i still do it myself? I feel like im going to have to shave these things down to next to nothing.

Thanks again

You can do it yourself with a file, but you should read carefully the threads on fitting magazines for magwells. Very small differences in angle will have dramatic effect. Not to be rude, but if you didn't notice something as obvious the magwell this might not be something for you to work on. On the other hand, you could risk a mag go slowly and gain a thorough working knowledge of your gun.

It might be simpler to hawk them on the WTS section. I am pretty sure the forum e-store has some SGM mags made for guns with your magwell in stock.