Inexpensive Slugs for Saiga 12?

I was just curious what slugs you all use for practice and competition (if you compete). I am currently using Federal Classic 1 oz. rifled slugs (2.75 inch) in my Saiga, and they function great... but I was wondering if there was a more inexpensive route to go. Links to online vendors would be great as well...

Thanks!

Winchester Super X 1oz rifled slugs is what I've got laying around though I don't shoot them much. Always heard it could scratch up a barrel that isn't rifled. I do have a few incendiary rounds left :devil: Might lay down some fire with my new Saiga soon.

I usually buy a bunch of different ammo at once. Federal, Fiocchi, Remington all seem to have a cheap loading. I usually pay 10 bucks for 4 5-round boxes at the local shop. Depends what he has that day.

I use Lightfield slugs, the 2 3/4 inch version is a 1 1/4 ounce slug. They are dead on at 100 yards and drop about 4 inches at 125 yards. At fifty yards you can darn near figure 8 them( shoot about an inch high over point of aim). Great for deer hunting. They run between $7-9 dollars a box of 5. They also put out a 3" version with I belive a 1 ounce slug but has a little less drop at 125-150 yards. If your just looking to shoot cheap and out to 50 yards, 1 ounce Remington sluggers cost about $3 a box of 5.

Midway is selling wolf 1oz 2-3/4 slugs for about $90. for 250 shells :dollar::dollar:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

YEEHAH!! G O B

I wouldn't use Wolf in any of my pistols, but use it in my AK's (7.62x39)...

Have you used the Wolf slugs before? Are they any good, or junk?

I also saw that Selliers and Bellot buckshot is on sale pretty cheap....

Why no wolf in pistols? I've got 9mm wolf...still non-corrosive, fairly accurate, and don't have the lacquer around the bullet, just the primer.

There are a couple of reasons I don't use them... some of them or subjective, of course.

• I shoot primarily Glock pistols. The laquer coating in combination with the steel cases are very hard on the extractor. I have seen 3 of them break because of Wolf ammo. Or at least that was the ammo currently being used. I have not heard of them breaking with any other ammo, let's put it that way.
  • In my guns, they are not as accurates the Federal American Eagle rounds I use for competition.
  • They chrono pretty slow in my Glock 21 (.45 ACP). This is an advantage for competitions, I guess (if they were more accurate).
  • They stink... I mean really smell bad. Also tend to be a bit more "smokey" than other rounds.

If you pistols shoot them fine, then more power to you! I wish mine did... they are pretty cheap! Although, it is worth the extra $1.50 a box just to not have to smell them!

KySoldier: The weapon you see me holding in my avatar pic there will not fire wolf ammo consistantly. I had thought it was the gun itself, but it is not. No other ammo does this with this gun. Apparantly the primers are harder than normal or something. Every couple mags ya pull the trigger and nothing. Pull the trigger a couple more times and the round will go off. Fine in my rifles, but a tad bit dirty. If you carry or if you have a home defense weapon, invest in the best ammo you can just for that purpose. Besides, for a dollar more, I can get american made ammo in BRASS. If I ever get a press and pistol dies, Ill have the brass. If not, I can sell the brass when I get a huge pile goin on, PLUS brass is easier on your gun anyhow.

www.cheaperthandirt.com has some decent wolf prices if your local shop isnt cheap enough for you. Fast service too.

Don't know about pistol ammo-Wolf shot shells are clear plastic hulls with high brass base smell funny shoot fine. I would be VERY carefull shooting .45 glock have seen several warnings of KB. Seems feeding problems combine with unsupported brass in feed ramp at chamber.If weapon will fire without slide fully forward the round can be partially out of chamber causing KB. Check to see how far back the slide can be and still actuate trigger.If this is more than a SMALL distance,have weapon repaired. This is why I personally prefer sledgehammer tough designs like 1911's AK's 1903-a3's ect. Nothing wrong with the fancier stuff like AR's and glocks but they are more "sensitive"-to ammo,temperature rough treatment,ect. If I were a LEO type I would most likely have a glock-1911 is a tad heavy to carry 24/7. My main point is to put 'the good stuff' in your sports car and save the bargain stuff for your beater.

G O B

Yeah, I have heard that rumor about the unsupported chamber and firing out or battery as well... but it is largely unfounded. Plenty of guns KB, and if you look at the pure percentage, Glocks KB the same as any other pistol manufacturer... I tried to look up the exact number of reported KB's in Glocks, and it is somewhere around .001% of them (About the same as Colt, Springfield, everybody)... .45 ACPs are significantly less as that is a very low pressure round. That whole malarky that the Oregon police are getting rid of the G21 because of a bad batch of ammunition is crazy... they won't even let Glock LOOK at the pistols, so even they know it was an ammo issue, and nothing wrong with the G21... somebody is just trying to save face...

Problem is, internet comes along and spreads rumors like that as fact, and then people get scared and do things like get rid of thier Glocks, thus spreading the false rumor.

From what I have seen, I would trust my life to a Glock... I can't say the same about 1911's though, but that is just because I have seen to many fail in competition. Granted, these are 1911's that have been dicked with by questionable gunsmiths, but I rarely see a Glock fail...

That doesn't mean that I don't love 1911's!! Just got a Kimber TLE RL II tonight as a matter of fact... very excited to play with my new toy!!!

Okay...off my soapbox now, sorry about that.

There is extra headspace in the chamber on .45 1911 types. Really only the ejector is holding the round when the firing pin hits it. Hence the reliability. But from my experience, when its only one type of ammo causing a problem, its not the gun's fault. Plus, the indentation the firing pin makes on the misfire wolf ammo is quite deep. Im using .40 S+W.........maybe its the red laquer causing the round to not completely seat in the chamber or something. Dunno. Dont care. A dollar per 50 rounds difference isnt a big deal.

the glock KB's arent unfounded theres been alot and all with the .45 www.thegunzone.com has extensive reading on it. some are from reloads but there are more than a few with factory loads

o yeah i shoot wolf all the time, isnt too dirty and i have seen no damage to my gun but its know for being a tough SOB so i dunno

Edited by shotgun_lobotomy

It looks like glock KB's are probably caused by shape of feedramp and less than complete feed, coupled with sloppy weapon that will drop hammer with the slide out of battery. The round would have to be jammed in at an angle to develop that kind of pressure. I am not a pistol expert, but am a damn good mechanic.The most disturbing thing that I have heard is that some of these will strike firing pin with the slide back 1/4 in. Any auto pistol should be checked regularly to see if slide must be in battery to fire. Bet these guns get very little love. Also would bet that well maintained glock with good ammo is 99.999% reliable.Pistols put the powder a LOT closer to your hand than long guns,makes rense to be damn near ANAL in their maintenance.

"It is a good measure of the intelligence of a mechanic(or shooter!) that he can count to ten on his fingers!

G O B

the glock KB's arent unfounded theres been alot and all with the .45 www.thegunzone.com has extensive reading on it. some are from reloads but there are more than a few with factory loads

o yeah i shoot wolf all the time, isnt too dirty and i have seen no damage to my gun but its know for being a tough SOB so i dunno

I really really wouldn't take what the Gun Zone has to say as anything close to fact. They have a real "The Sky Is Falling" hatred of Glocks.

ANY Gun will KB given the right situation... Glocks are NO MORE PRONE to KB than any other gun... As a matter of fact, if you look at pure percentage, Glocks have a slightly LESS chance of blowing themselves up than other guns. That statistic from Glock in Smyrna is that overall, 0.001% chance of a KB with a Glock (I am working on memory here, so I might have the number wrong, if interested, I will call Glock again and find out)... any Glock, caliber not important. Compare that with other guns? About the same... maybe slightly less. I don't have those statistics in front of me.

Where the difficulty comes in is that there are more Glocks than probably any other pistol out there, so you have a tendancy to hear more aobut the KB's from a Glock than any other pistol... simply because there are more out there, not becuase they are more prone to KB... There are other guns out there that have unsupported chambers that KB as well, just nobody dedicates a website to them! ;)

Another difference between Glocks and other guns is the barrel. They have the hexagonal rifiling that seems to be more prone to damage done by lead build up. So, that is one of the reasons that Glock says not to shoot lead bulllets through the gun. There have been several studies done on this, one of them showed that in one shooting sessions the chamber pressure steadily increased to dangerous levels after only 100 rounds of lead ammunition through a hexagonal barrel. So... sure, you throw lead down there enough, you are going to have a KB... on any gun with the same type of barrel. Even with that taken into consideration, there still isn't much more of a chance of a KB than with other guns...

Okay, off my soapbox... I am sorry about the thread hijack (my own thread even!)... I promise to shut up now!! ;)

Edited by Wicked96SS
It looks like glock KB's are probably caused by shape of feedramp and less than complete feed, coupled with sloppy weapon that will drop hammer with the slide out of battery. The round would have to be jammed in at an angle to develop that kind of pressure. I am not a pistol expert, but am a damn good mechanic.The most disturbing thing that I have heard is that some of these will strike firing pin with the slide back 1/4 in. Any auto pistol should be checked regularly to see if slide must be in battery to fire. Bet these guns get very little love. Also would bet that well maintained glock with good ammo is 99.999% reliable.Pistols put the powder a LOT closer to your hand than long guns,makes rense to be damn near ANAL in their maintenance.

"It is a good measure of the intelligence of a mechanic(or shooter!) that he can count to ten on his fingers!

G O B

Okay, I lied... but this is my last post on it!! Agian, I am sorry for the hijack...

You are 100% right... you don't clean a gun, get crap in the firing pin channel that causes the firing pin to stick "out" not only do you have a chance of an out of battery strike, but a slam fire as well. Damaged machinary can be dangerous at times, but it is hardly a flaw on Glocks part...

Again, you are right on the nose when you talk about maintaining your guns well... I cringe when I hear people say "I have been shooting my (insert name of gun here) for 5000 rounds and I haven't field stripped it yet! Still functions fine!!"... Okay, I have heard of the 250000 G17 torture test where they never cleaned the gun... no thanks... Although I don't clean my Glock 21 (.45 ACP) after every time at the range, I do clean it once a week, and I do detail strip it (takes about 5 minutes on a Glock to detail strip and clean the slide and reciever)...

Keep your stuff clean and well maintained, and you wont' have a problem... unless you shoot crappy ammo, or reloads that you put a double charge in, or somehow screw up. But, that is the case with any gun...

• 2 weeks later...

What is some cheap ammunition to use just for messing around, hitting targets or bottles or whatever?

Cheaperthandirt.com has shells from estate cartridge, some types as cheap as like 4-5 bucks for 25 shells. That seems like a really good price to me, will this stuff cycle in my Saiga 12?

• 2 weeks later...