I live in WI.

Any time I want to purchase a handgun in WI, I just do the paperwork and come back two days later.

Everything is handled through the Wisconsin Handgun Hotline

But when I try to purchase long guns, it goes through the NICS and I get delayed every time.

I do have unpaid tickets out of state and the warrants to go with it, but I eventually get the long guns too.

Does WI only check state records for handguns?

Shouldn't they be checking out of state records as well for felonies and such?

It seems odd to me that it's easier for me to get a high capacity 9mm than a Mossberg 500.

LOL.

Look people, I have no incentive to get the tickets cleared up.

They are in CO, I live in WI, and I can buy guns without having to wait more than a few days.

They don't affect my ability to vote or hunt or travel.

Maybe if I moved to CO I would go ahead and pay those off.

Seemed like a pretty simple question, but I had no idea this was the wingnut section of the boards.

I'll just post in the 7.62 sections now on.

Funny though, so thanks.

Again, you didn't read the post.

I'm not asking about why I'm getting delayed or if I'm going to or if a warrant has anything to do with it.

I'm fully aware of the situation.

I'm asking what the difference is between the two checks, based on the fact that I get my handguns sooner than my long guns.

Again, a simple question but all I'm getting are long winded rhetorical nothings; kinda reminds me of a liberal press conference in here.

And with that, I digress back to the ACTUAL gun sections of the forum.

Now I've never been arrested or charged with anything, nor had warrants. But don't you think clearing your name, no matter how insignificant, would be a priority above getting a new toy? So you buy a firearm, multiple firearms, great. But don't you think you could have spent that money to pay off your tickets so you don't...idk, get fucking arrested if you're ever pulled over?

No offense dude, but if someone walked on my range and asked me that, I would never let them shoot there. That's irresponsible, and irresponsible and guns don't mix. THATS why this seems pretty fishy to me. Gun owners are law abiding citizens and we like to keep it that way.

Now I've never been arrested or charged with anything, nor had warrants. But don't you think clearing your name, no matter how insignificant, would be a priority above getting a new toy? So you buy a firearm, multiple firearms, great. But don't you think you could have spent that money to pay off your tickets so you don't...idk, get fucking arrested if you're ever pulled over?

No offense dude, but if someone walked on my range and asked me that, I would never let them shoot there. That's irresponsible, and irresponsible and guns don't mix. THATS why this seems pretty fishy to me. Gun owners are law abiding citizens and we like to keep it that way.

Why would I get arrested in WI for a non extraditable traffic warrant out of CO?

I would have to be physically in the state...

I get where you guys are coming from, but you don't seem to actually know what you're talking about here.

Edited by emf

I was hit head on by a gal that had out of state warrents for traffic tickets. Guess why they arrested her at the scene?

Mancat answered your question. Futhermore, traffic or not, you're a criminal, hence the warrant for your ARREST. You get no free pass from me sir.

I was hit head on by a gal that had out of state warrents for traffic tickets. Guess why they arrested her at the scene?

Mancat answered your question. Futhermore, traffic or not, you're a criminal, hence the warrant for your ARREST. You get no free pass from me sir.

Are you honestly THAT unaware of what the laws actually are?

Unfortuantely, it is YOU that should not be allowed to handle a weapon.

Holy cow, you're a regular Diana Degette.

I cannot be arrested outside of the state of CO for those tickets.

Do your research, rookie.

I get what you're actually asking now.

Do you have a concealed carry license? This will allow some checks to be skipped at the state level.

I do, and that's another thing that I thought was weird, because they supposedly do state DOJ requirements as well as NICS.

It never even got mentioned during the application process.

The only time it comes up is when I purchase a shotgun or rifle, and then they give me a proceed 2-3 day later.

I don't know. The state laws about background checks can get detailed when a CC is involved. Some checks get turned into one time checks once you have the CC, but it may not apply to long gun purchases depending on which state you're in. I don't know the details of how WI does this.

States still screw up or do strange unexplained things, for example: There is a five-day wait in WA to purchase a pistol, but having a CCL eliminates the wait. Long guns have no wait here unless NICS delays you. There was one time when I purchased two pistols in one day (both in a single FFL transfer) and the LEO approval call came into the FFL an hour later. I don't have a CCL, so that delay should have been five days, but the LEO approval was the last required step in the process, so legally I was off the hook. Shop said I could come back and take my pistols home. I could never explain that one.

Edited by mancat

I had this come up, they wouldnt let me pick the gun up til the ticket was cleared, I was a "fugitive from justice” until the ticket was paid (which I didnt know I had). They dont have to even let you have the gun, so your lucky its just being delayed. FYI theres a good chance your DMV can and will eventually suspend your liscense in WI if the tickets arent paid

Edited by Redhunter2486

In FL the wait is 3 days but the day you fill out paper work dosnt count and the day you pick up your rifle dosnt count and the weekends dont count so essentially its a 7 day waiting period but i have a CCW so all i have to do is go in pay and do paperwork and then i can leave with the firearm/s.

Ummmm, at my old job, I had many people arrested. One thing I have seen happen, and not brought on by me, was fools getting arrested for out of state warrants on simple traffic violations. Simply because the person was a thief and the cop didn't like them. Maybe they won't arrest you and ship you to CO, but someone could get a bad image of you from the out of state warrant and pass judgement for simple crap cuz of it.