chop barrel and perm attach monster = cycling issues?

Hey all,
My vepr 12 as it sits wont cycle anything below 3 dram or 1200 fps. I was thinking about chopping my barrel and perm attaching a tromix monster to meet 18"OAL. Do people end up with cycling issues chopping that much and perming a brake. If so what should be the course of action to remedy this. Also. Should my gun be able to cycle 1145 1 1/8 skeet loads?
Thanks,
Thomas

i posted this in another forum as well but not sure if it should be here or there...

I've been looking for a similar answer. I plan on cutting my S12 3.125" and welding a warthog brake on. How long is the Tromix? If its the 6 or 7 inch one you'll almost surely need to do some gas system mods in order to cycle most 2 3/4 ammo I would think. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

Sounds like its hit and miss doing this. The bad thing is that it will be a lot more difficult to do work on the gas system with a welded brake on there. It's doable though, you could just slide the gas block down on the barrel. I would try to get it running the best you can first before doing permanent work.

Sounds like its hit and miss doing this. The bad thing is that it will be a lot more difficult to do work on the gas system with a welded brake on there. It's doable though, you could just slide the gas block down on the barrel. I would try to get it running the best you can first before doing permanent work.

Yeah, you don't need to remove the gas block, just move it out of the way. Theres no difference

• Like 1

That's what I'm thinking. But I'm not sure if it should even run that cheap stuff. It is a vepr 12 and I know it is supposed to run everything but does that include 2-3/4 1-1/8oz #9 at 1145 fps 2-3/4dram equiv??

Also I was under the impression that doing the work yourself chopping the barrel in one sitting was good to go as long as your Doug it and perming immediately. I've understood it to be okay. I've heard of people pressing out the barrel and the doing the work with te shotgun somewhere else as a way to stay on the good side of the law or certain.

The vepr12 is very capable of running light loads.. with a little love can be excellent at it.

Well there are many DIYer's that have done it, but also it's something that on a legal technicality basis could bite you. See at some point you were in possession of an unregistered SBS, and how do you prove how long it was that way, and technically speaking to the fed looking for one more notch in his bed post, it doesn't matter.

Write the BATFE yourself and ask them their stance on a non FFL doing this work without removing the barrel from the receiver but with all intentions of immediately and permanently attaching (by BATFE means of permanent attachment) the muzzle device to bring it back to legal non NFA length. Get a response in writing from the "authority". Cover your ass.

There is a scanned letter from the BATFE floating around on here that someone posted regarding this very topic and a lot of people (business members that do this type of work of course) tend to say that it is not legit. There is no harm in asking the BATFE what their stance is. Get your own letter is what I'd recommend to do.

Definitely do all to CYA, remember that Ruby Ridge started over creating an illegal SBS. As soon as you cut the barrel, it's an SBS.

If I were doing it this way, I would have a shop do it that has the appropriate licenses. I like to err on the side of caution on these matters. I would even feel uncomfortable removing the barrel then doing the work with all the questions about constructive possession.

ill prolly end up pressing it out and doing the threading and perming job at my place with the shotgun at a buddies in his safe this way no co posession = no constructive possession also ill be writing the atf for clarification.

on another point should my shotgun be able to cycle the 1145fps 2-3/4 dram estate skeet loads?

I don't see what the big deal is. Yes it's a SBS IF you leave it as a barrelled receiver when you cut, even if only for 30 min, but is a ATF agent going to stop you at the range or knock on your door because he sees you have a LEGAL shotgun with a 16" barrel & 2.25" brake welded on for a OAL of 18.25"? No. I'm not telling anyone to do this themselves but if your neighbor did this in his garage in an hour would anyone know?

I don't see what the big deal is. Yes it's a SBS IF you leave it as a barrelled receiver when you cut, even if only for 30 min, but is a ATF agent going to stop you at the range or knock on your door because he sees you have a LEGAL shotgun with a 16" barrel & 2.25" brake welded on for a OAL of 18.25"? No. I'm not telling anyone to do this themselves but if your neighbor did this in his garage in an hour would anyone know?
The ATF drones would know...they are watching;-)

I am definitely more cautious than many people, usually like to err on the side of following big laws like that. And the way my projects go something would happen and I wouldn't be able to finish it for a year.

Edited by romad7
  • Like 1