I noticed in my virtual personel file that my C.O. had selected me for re-enlistment. Though it was a little odd since in my retention meeting I stated I was planning to retire. 6 months out I started the process last week to retire militarily in Sept. Just having finished a big Wing inspection and the Fire Dept. got an Outstanding. The Civil Engineering Squadron got an Excellent, and the Wing overall got the first ever Outstanding. I felt like leaving on a high note was a good way to leave it.

Go into to see the C.O. for the signature giving be the blessing to start things, and the C.O. says, "You've earned right to retire, but I'd like to speak to when I have more time. I appreciate all you have done. I'll sign this for you, but please come see me in the morning before you submit any paperwork."

I agreed to come back in the morning. Went into the office and had an old school sit down with the C.O. We talked for a bit and my C.O. said quality people are hard to keep, and we need to retain as many as possible to train the young Airmen what it takes to operate at the level we do. I was suprised when I was asked personally to re-enlist.

I had to withdraw my retirement. I had no choice, how can you say no to a personal favor?

I'll re-enlist for another 6. So I have at least another 6 1/2 years to help young Airmen learn to prevent the fire, fight the fires that can't be prevented, look out for each other, and above all protect the Constitution.

• Like 20

At times things can be frustrating, but I love my job, and the guys at the department family. Guess I just wasn't really ready to give it up. I'll likely rethink my decision when we do chemical warfare training ,and we have to put on our bunker gear over our chem suits to be ready to fight fires in the chemical war environment. On second thought I might be glad for it with N. Korea acting up. LOL

Edited by liberty -r- death

Thank you for your service. I can not say that I would have done the same. Take it from someone who didn't plan young, then got hit hard in my 401k. You are the last of a dying breed. Retirement is not something everyone can bank on any more. So while I appreciate your service, don't feel bad for looking out for yourself and enjoying what you've earned.

• Like 1
Congrats! Seven more years to hit my minimum. Like you, I will hang on a bit longer. But, I hope to at least be able to call it quits at that point in time if I so please. The felling must be great.

It's an great feeling to know I have my time in. Things are less stressful for the most part not feeling like you are under the thumb since you can call it quits and not loose anything. Since I'm gonna be in a while I'll be working on getting my courses done to move into upper management.

I'm coming up on 16 myself, when its all over it'll be worth it! 1 year at a time and take pride in the fact that you are providing a valuable service that most people can't or won't do.

Keep those young Airmen in line and safe!

I retired in Nov 2002 and haven't regretted it at all. I will say that if I had been selected for 1stSgt I probably would just now be retiring, but as it was, had no desire to be the Ops Chief in a 3 shop somewhere, no matter what level.

AS we always said...when it stops being fun, get out. YOU Sir are still enjoying it, you are making a difference, so I would not consider getting out until then...of course, there is always family to be concerned with as well.

Thank you for taking care of those young men and women! People ask me if I miss the Corps....I say only my Marines and my Cammies! Semper Fi and God Bless!