Conversion advice

Just bought my first saiga 12. Of course I want it converted. Looked at a few of the major converters. I'm leaning now toward doing it myself. I watched all of the videos on the Carolina shooters sight and a load more on you tube. What are the major drawbacks to buying the parts and doing it myself. I don't want to spend the money and time only to find out later that I made a big mistake. Thanks!

First off, welcome to the forum. There are NO drawbacks . If you send it off it will be months before you see it again plus the shipping costs on top of paying someone to do work you can easily do on your own. Besides being easy and fun you will have a great deal of pride and satisfaction invested in your weapon. You cant buy that anywhere

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to convert it myself! I know this could start a firestorm of replies and debate, but can you advise me what company is generally regarded as having the best trigger group, trigger guard, extended mag release, alternate/ergonomic safety, gas puck, and gas regulator/plug. I also need advise on a folding stock. Price is no concern since I am saving a ton doing it myself. I know one could debate each of these items for days and that the threads are probably already in the archives, but "I ain't got time for that!" The zombies and home invaders are already in my area. I am ready to order some parts and get the Russian in the shop! Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to convert it myself! I know this could start a firestorm of replies and debate, but can you advise me what company is generally regarded as having the best trigger group, trigger guard, extended mag release, alternate/ergonomic safety, gas puck, and gas regulator/plug. I also need advise on a folding stock. Price is no concern since I am saving a ton doing it myself. I know one could debate each of these items for days and that the threads are probably already in the archives, but "I ain't got time for that!" The zombies and home invaders are already in my area. I am ready to order some parts and get the Russian in the shop! Thanks!

I'm looking @ the CSS trigger guard, tromix trigger,and the plate instead of the shephards crook. Just need a little more $ to order my stuff.

You won't regret that plate. Shepard's crooks are awful IMO.

If you have some basic skills, save a couple bucks and spend 30 minutes to get a nicer trigger. There is a guide in my signature on how to do it.