So I have the Molot style pistol grip and the AK/Saiga grip screw & nut. What I don't have is the knowledge on how to fit this to my S-12. My first thoughts are to go out and purchase some hand files but before I do that I am going to ask for some advice. Pictures or pointing me to a video would be helpful.

Oh and I am undecided on what trigger guard to go with. It probably will be riveted w/o a screw attachment for a PG. I'll present those questions later.

Thanks in advance!

post-35052-0-59621100-1365819319_thumb.jpg

I suggest buying the bolt on trigger guard from CSS that already has the PG nut as part of the trigger guard. It's far more sturdy than the trigger guards without the PG nut and its made from better (thicker) metal, not just bent sheet metal. Another plus is you won't have to cut a hole in your receiver either, it's $40 so its a little more but worth every penny. When I mounted my Molot grip on my S12 with that trigger guard I filed the front recess of the PG (where the rear of the TG fits in the PG) to get a better fit, and I also had to cut 1/3" or so off the screw to get the PG tight enough. It's all easy little modifications and well worth it IMO.

Paint the bottom of the receiver first tough lol! I use a little paint pen/marker with a felt tip that's made for touching up scratches and stuff on guns. I've seen them at a lot of gun stores and Gander for about $6

Sunnybean: Going all the way back to 2005, that's some excellent information. There are some good links by Cobra in that thread as well. Thanks! Reading that pretty much walked me through the process.

Dubya: I haven't considered a screw on TG since I received my RJF build. It's a small detail but there is something to be said for having rivets instead of screws. I won't settle for the holes left over from the conversion for the same reason.

Meh.... I really don't see the point of rivets instead of what I have (obviously if I did I'd have it riveted). The TG I have isn't like the other gay looking ones IMO, the TG is threaded so you screw into it from the inside rather than a nut & bolt. It also gives me the flexibility to easily swap the TG out or remove, paint the receiver (if I get to it) and reinstall. No offense to you or anyone with a RJF Saiga but for the time, money and BS I've seen people deal with one of their builds it just isn't worth it to have the same parts I can buy and install, just as good, and have 4 holes welded closed and a TG riveted on (which I personally don't want anyway). I seen your build with the smooth welded brake (nice BTW!) and I have a buddy that's going to (try to) replicate something like that. I'm sure he'll do a fine job, he's been welding for 7 years as a career..

But, to each his own, that's what makes Saiga's so awesome. Nobody has to build theirs like anyone else's and what works for me may not work for you.

Edited by dubya

No offense to you or anyone with a RJF Saiga but for the time, money and BS I've seen people deal with one of their builds it just isn't worth it to have the same parts I can buy and install, just as good, and have 4 holes welded closed and a TG riveted on (which I personally don't want anyway).

None taken! I wholeheartedly agree with you. I just want to clarify that I am not touting RJF or this build as the cat's meow. My long wait time and the experience dealing with their customer service was enough to drive me away. Does anyone still watch their show?

What you will hear me talking more about is the level of detail they put into their builds. I definitely want to match the quality in my current build. I mean if RJF can do it why can't I?

Take a look at their charging handle. It's my favorite detail on the whole build...

post-35052-0-56760200-1365878256_thumb.jpg

post-35052-0-56352800-1365878270_thumb.jpg

post-35052-0-92658000-1365878284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I hope the welds on your RJF vertical handle are better than the two they did for me. Actually, I don't think they could get any worse. Still, kept an eye out for cracking. At least they didn't bondo and then paint yours. You'll be able to see yours much more easily than mine.

• Like 1
I hope the welds on your RJF vertical handle are better than the two they did for me. Actually, I don't think they could get any worse. Still, kept an eye out for cracking. At least they didn't bondo and then paint yours. You'll be able to see yours much more easily than mine.

I remember that thread. How'd you go about getting it fixed?

I remember that thread. How'd you go about getting it fixed?

On one of them, the carrier finally cracked where the ejection cut begins to narrow. I sold it to evlblkwpns for some super secret project he is attempting. He was fully aware of the crack and shotty vertical handle. Robert, at R&R, hooked me up with one one his carriers and pucks.

The other one is still in my possession. Pauly reworked it for me. I feel better about it not flying off and hitting me in the face now.

You can do that hole very quickly and accurately Scribe the lines, then the diagonals punch inside1/16" on the diagonals and drill with a 1/8" bit in each corner, and on the center. Then drill up the center hole to just under your scribe lines. Get a square or triangular bastard file and extend the center hole to the corners. Your scribes will keep you from going too far.