Got an AR .308 Lower, need to pick a barrel length and parts kit

16 inch or 20 inch barrel?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. 16 inch or 20 inch barrel?

• 20 inch Barrel
    • 16 inch Barrel

Well, Im buying the 16 inch kit on my payday. I wish I could get the 20 inch, but its out of stock and I dont want a 24. If I find myself dissatisfied by it, I will get a match grade barrel later and try that, but it sounds like I am going to be pretty pleased by the 16.

I now need to do some research on Chrome vs Non Chrome and I need to figure out if I give two craps about gas system lengths....

16 inch isn't bad, you sound like you know what the upsides/downsides are. My Dad's AR-10 is great and has a 16 inch barrel, it suites his needs and what he wants it for 100%.

It's like Scotch, there really are no bad ones, just ones you don't like as much as others. :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="TheJoe90" data-cid="890461" data-time="1366011771"><p>

Well, Im buying the 16 inch kit on my payday. I wish I could get the 20 inch, but its out of stock and I dont want a 24. If I find myself dissatisfied by it, I will get a match grade barrel later and try that, but it sounds like I am going to be pretty pleased by the 16. <br />

<br />

I now need to do some research on Chrome vs Non Chrome and I need to figure out if I give two craps about gas system lengths....</p></blockquote>

Gas system length is very important. The two main ones of worry are ballistics and weapon longevity. A carbine gas system is considered overgasses on a 5.56 round and causes undue wear with milspec ammo. With most .308 (7.62 nato) being milspec quality this issue for the most part would be the same. Not enough powder is burned up and it is still very hot (incipient stage of combustion) at that point. You are also robbing some of the pish away from the round vey early. Carbine length is 7", rifle length is 11",and your barrle is 16" long. That is 4" worth of difference before a disturbance in push. If 4" doesnt seem a lot check ballistics for the difference in a 16" barrel and 20" barrel, it is considerable. Also for accurace with your iron sights, a longer sight picture means a more accurate shot at a distance. Using a flat top gas block with a good set of BUIS the extra 4" of length in sight radius adds quite a bit of accuracy to them. Far beyond what a carbine system would. A flat top ans bottom gas block would allow you to also mount a bipod adapter to your rifle to make it very stable for shooting medium range shots well.

• Like 1

this will make you shit a brick..... http://proofresearch.com/barrels/

heh can you say magnum research (as in the "other companies insulate")

Comparing a mass produced 10/22 barrel to Proof? Come on, did you read anything about the company or who all went in on it?

You completely missed my meaning, the quotation is from their website, and I was implying the exact opposite of your assumption. Until I looked into Proof, I had written off trusting anything CF with barrels. I most likely won't get one. I've had CF products fail, and when they do, they explode, I still have a piece of it lodged in my hand and one in my arm, you can see still the piece in my palm, luckily most of it was able to be removed and the scars have faded and mostly gone. That being said any barrel can fail, and I understand that. I just have apprehensions about CF in certain applications for obvious reasons.

My accident was with an automotive part.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Like 1

I started with 16" barrel it does everything I need it to so I haven't changed it...I don't shoot it enough to worry about wear and tare from a carbine lenght gas system. DPMS, Bushmaster, and Remington all have two different height upper recivers so make sure you know which one you have before you order your hand guard/ rail.

If anyone needs a Troy 13.8" high profile rail for 308 let me know. I have on in FDE I am currently using as a paper weight.

Comparing a mass produced 10/22 barrel to Proof? Come on, did you read anything about the company or who all went in on it?

You completely missed my meaning, the quotation is from their website, and I was implying the exact opposite of your assumption. Until I looked into Proof, I had written off trusting anything CF with barrels. I most likely won't get one. I've had CF products fail, and when they do, they explode, I still have a piece of it lodged in my hand and one in my arm, you can see still the piece in my palm, luckily most of it was able to be removed and the scars have faded and mostly gone. That being said any barrel can fail, and I understand that. I just have apprehensions about CF in certain applications for obvious reasons.

Gotcha... My bad... Carbon fiber can be a real bitch. You only know when it's about to go out one tenth of a second before it fails. :)

• Like 1

Gotcha... My bad... Carbon fiber can be a real bitch. You only know when it's about to go out one tenth of a second before it fails. smile.png

I had a carbon fiber drive shaft on a road car once, key word once. It was like a sling shot, load it up, so weird at first. decided to be a street race hero one night with some track tires, got the tires up to temp, pulled to the line, held my revs, DUMP the clutch, LOUD tire squawk, hear all sorts of nasty, didn't get very far. Left $200 lighter and a big bruised ego on a AAA truck. lol. Track car, all about it, could or would happen at the track also. The fully lightened drivetrain and reduction of sprung weight on that car was amazing though felt like 30-40 more hp.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, ordered the 16 inch kit, its got the extended rails that go beyond the gas block. I ordered some M16 style front and rear flip down sights that have adjustable windage, I figure with a good set of peeps and such a beautiful long sight plane I can practice my iron sight accuracy till I buy a good scope. Im not stoked about the Carbine Length Gas System, (Mid-length would be better) but I can deal. I did decide to go with a chrome lined barrel.

I couldnt wait and hope something came into stock, in these troubled times having an imperfect weapon can be better than waiting and MAYBE getting the right weapon later. If I find that I would rather have a longer barrel later, I will buy a second upper and quality longer heavy barrel for distance shots. Or, I might find that the 16 inch is perfect. I will let yall know what I find.

Now I am looking to add a 5.56 to my growing collection, Im looking at building a piston driven 16 inch AR15... They have a real reasonably priced kit on the same site, so I will just wait to see how the shipping, fit, and finish on the 308 kit is before I buy.

Thanks yall for the help in finding the right parts.

• Like 1