Show your duracoated saiga 12s

Trying to figure out what the best design I want to do while I'm waiting for my internals back from Pauly i figured I'd get my saiga 12 done. Currently thinking of a urban camo design. not the digital one.

Just want to see how they look and what your opinions are. I also see people duracoating their bolt carriers. Wouldn't that affect cycling?

So far I'm hooked on this design.

post-47410-0-91302600-1365846478_thumb.jpg

^ why's that? They're already painted from the factory so a professional blast job and Cerakote would have no negative affects, most likely it'd run smoother than a factory (non polished) bolt carrier.

If you really want to do something cool get intouch with a local metal finishing place and get the bolt carrier group coated in nickel boron. Np3. It would be sweet. And I've never seen a saiga anything with a nickel coated bolt so you could be the very first.

There have been a few threads of people who got their carrier group and internals duracoated so thick that their previously functional guns were inoperable or started FTE ing. Duracoat is a pain to remove from what I've seen here. At the minimum, I would tape off the rails, and the grooves in the BCG before duracoating.

• Like 2

^ agreed.

I'm not sure the cost of duracoting but cerakote could be done professionally for under $200. I have a guy that does my bolt guns I could pm the info if you want to look into it. As long as its done right I would feel good with either kind of coating.

The guys at Sniper Co. here in Fort Wayne are handling the duracoat. Since Pauly is going to be polishing the internals I'll probably just not duracoat the BCG and the rest of them since they will have that nice glassbolt shine and what not.

How do you guys feel about Duracoating vs Dipping vs cerakoting then?

I hear with cerkote your options are very limited.

The guys at Sniper Co. here in Fort Wayne are handling the duracoat. Since Pauly is going to be polishing the internals I'll probably just not duracoat the BCG and the rest of them since they will have that nice glassbolt shine and what not.

How do you guys feel about Duracoating vs Dipping vs cerakoting then?

I hear with cerkote your options are very limited.

What do you mean by limited?

NorinconPoly.jpg

Both of these rifles are Cerakoted... Not just externally either. The complete reciever, in and out, op rod, Bolt (masked off the bolt face and roller only) & carrier, even the gas system were all Cerakoted. Look in the Op-rod channel on the top rifle, that was after over 500 rounds sent down range with that rifle.... looks new! No marring or wearing.

Here is the gas system for an M14 done... the internals are left alone, but I even do the back end of the piston rod to protect wear there..

frtweld.jpg

It is self lubricating, and I'll be doing my S12 including internals, rails and BCG with it as well when I'm done with my build. I have also done many R-10/22's including the bolts and internals on the recievers. It's very durable and you almost don't even need to lube the gun when it's there.

I'm just wondering what you feel the limitations are??

• Like 2

I was on the AR forums reading some topics on what they had over duracoats. They mentioned color variety wasnt as available it was for duracoat. The more I hear about cerakote, the more interested I am though.

I agree on dipping being too glossy. I also hear its twice the strength of the best duracoat. lol I hear alot of things though.

no duracoat here, sorry....

here is the winning formula!

2 Fe(s) + Fe3+(aq) + 3 H3PO4-(aq) → 3 FePO4(s) + 3 H2(g)

after that, you can always spray on a coat of whatever color duplicolor matches your environment. smile.png

Edited by Stryker0946
If you really want to do something cool get intouch with a local metal finishing place and get the bolt carrier group coated in nickel boron. Np3. It would be sweet. And I've never seen a saiga anything with a nickel coated bolt so you could be the very first.

A company called WMD does stuff like that, a buddy at work was telling me about it when he was building his latest AR. I'd like to send in my s12 and get the entire inside of the gun coated, but I also haven't done any research on how much thickness it adds, and I'm broke so there's no hurry lol

Hotshot, those are some really nice looking guns sir. I like the stock on the top one

A company called WMD does stuff like that, a buddy at work was telling me about it when he was building his latest AR. I'd like to send in my s12 and get the entire inside of the gun coated, but I also haven't done any research on how much thickness it adds, and I'm broke so there's no hurry lolHotshot, those are some really nice looking guns sir. I like the stock on the top one

I can paint guns like that with Krylon! Lol. Don't laugh it actually turns out good and lasts.

A company called WMD does stuff like that, a buddy at work was telling me about it when he was building his latest AR. I'd like to send in my s12 and get the entire inside of the gun coated, but I also haven't done any research on how much thickness it adds, and I'm broke so there's no hurry lolHotshot, those are some really nice looking guns sir. I like the stock on the top one

I can paint guns like that with Krylon! Lol. Don't laugh it actually turns out good and lasts.

Oh well yeah, don't get my wrong, my gun is currently rattle canned as well. I did it when I saw that gun scrubber melts the factory paint..lol. I'm a buy once buy right kinda guy, and when I finally get around to SBS'ing it, I will probably have the insides done with boron nickle. And unless I've practiced and can do, and know what, kind of pattern I want(there's the real problem, my indecisiveness), I'm just going to go ahead and let a professional do it for me. There was a really neat video that I found in here a lot time ago of a guy that did a really cool camo job with spray paint. He put on the base coat, draped a mesh laundry back over the gun and lightly dusted stripes of other colors over. It made a pretty damn nice scaled looking pattern.

Thank you kind for being the first to show a picture haha.

I just put my order in for a duracoat design. I can't wait to post pictures once its all done.

I made sure this was a design that has originality

yeah i figured maybe i could start a trend and adhere to the thread topic

• Like 2

there shall be no details good sir. but expect greatness. I stopped in today to order my first suppressor and got another peak. look amazing and its still not done yet. These guys know what they're doing because its the greatest thing Ive ever seen duracoat wise. They did all my mags for me too with the price.

Alas I have lied to you all.

Heres a quick sneak peak of the UNFINISHED mags

post-47410-0-36452900-1367883285_thumb.jpg

Edited by rayne2ravage
  • Like 1

^ agreed. I'm not sure the cost of duracoting but cerakote could be done professionally for under $200. I have a guy that does my bolt guns I could pm the info if you want to look into it. As long as its done right I would feel good with either kind of coating.

I would like that info sir

Almost done!!!

how many hundreds was that?