Thinking of upgrading. 9mm to 45acp

• 2 weeks later...

If you love it, get it.

In general my thoughts are that this is more of a capacity and operating cost downgrade.

With good ammo, either is very effective.

• Like 1

i say xdm stainess 9mm and the fnx stainless 45 acp are the best. just cant really justify having both. If i get a good enough offer on my xdm package though on armslist i will def buy a fnx or the tactical version. that will finally convince me to get my tax stamp for a suppressor.

• 4 months later...

What is the intended use? I can rely on a 9mm with good rounds just as much as a .45 to drop a BG. They are handgun rounds and you still need shot placement to eliminate the threat with either one. I own several of both mentioned calibers and some in between. Honestly, I usually carry a G19 with a 15 rounder and a 17 rounder for a reload. Lots more rounds doing it the 9mm way than the .45 way IMO.

Hornady 9mm+p makes 360 foot pounds of energy. Rem golder saber 45 230 grain hp makes 390foot pounds. I say power factor is a non issue. Now 45 is big and slow. 9mm small and fast.

Faster and still small is the 357 mag. The most famous police and defense hand gun load is the 125 grain. At more than 1700 fps from a 5" barrel thats more than twice either the 9 or 45.

Now you have less rounds and slower reloads but you can use speedloaders. I would seriously look at the 8 round 357 mag snub N frame s&w 627 pc. Its probably about the perfect packing pistol. At the same capacity as a 1911 with gi mags but lots more power.

I say shoot the biggest most powerful handgun you can accurately can. And speed loaders are not slow they are slower than an auto but in a self defense reload id think you would be slower any. And I thought the rules to gun fighting was 1. Have a gun 2. If your not shooting your loading 3. If your not loading your moving 4. If your not moving your dead.

125gr .357sig, best of all worlds...energy, capacity and 'concealability'. Look up full power .357sig loads (like Underwood). You'll be looking at >600lbft of energy from a 4" barrel. If .357mag is recommended, .357sig should also IMHO, especially for carry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iujNWfhUx4A

Also, one should compare +p to +p, not +p to standard pressure rounds.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • 2 weeks later...