MTs-255 revolving shotgun, would you buy it

I would love if they started importing these, what say you guys?

709516452_h4o_ka_o-tfb.jpg

659335-tfb.jpg

The MTs-255 (Russian: МЦ 255) is a shotgun fed by a 5-round internal revolving cylinder. It is produced by the TsKIB SOO Central Design and Research Bureau of Sporting and Hunting Arms. The Russian-made guns are available in 12, 20, 28 and 32 gauges, and .410 bore.

The MTs-255 is unique in that the forearm extends nearly all the way back to the cylinder. The shotgun is reloaded in a manner consistent with that of most modern revolvers, by unlocking the cylinder, and swinging it away from the frame to the left and down.

seems like a prop for a failed movie and someone had a hard on for it and made it a production gun to me.

I do know of a few people that would buy it. Russian Hammer and my buddy Shane, Hammer because he's a gun hipster, and Shane because well he's a weirdo and has to possess novelty shit.

Before I go any farther, let me state that my pump action shot gun is un-reliable off brand because its been heavily used and left loaded for years by Grand Pa. I would not trust it for home defense. I love my S12, ALOT for fun and end of the world preparedness. That stated, I love the idea of the gun in the photo.

I could load 5 rounds, and there is no chance of mag spring wear/fail from age, wear, ect. Also, very few moving parts and a time perfected design... If it was affordable I would load it and leave it by the bedside, ignore it till the day it is needed....

That said, I could most likely buy a much better quality pump for WAY cheaper.

if you rotate the right thing you get more bangs per load.

Agreed, but those are not the right things. Those are a super kludge. The right thing is made by MD.

I do like the Rossi/Taurus revolving rifles and shotguns. For no better reason than they look and feel good. That's a good enough reason if you have the money.

My best friend is an excellent musician. He is very good with a piano and passable with a guitar among other things. However, he says that whenever he looks at a piano, he feels that he ought to play it, but maybe later. It's a chore. When he sees a guitar, he just picks it up and starts playing because it looks good and feels fun.

That's how I feel about some guns. There are guns that I love just because I love them and not because there isn't some alternative which could serve the role better. I love .410 even though it falls short of other choices almost any way you look at it. Those circuit judges are just pretty and they feel good. I'd want to shoot them. I think I would get bored of a S410 and use the S12. I don't think I would get bored of a revolving .410.

I'd really like some of the .410 lever guns for similar reasons.

if you rotate the right thing you get more bangs per load.

Agreed, but those are not the right things. Those are a super kludge. The right thing is made by MD.

I do like the Rossi/Taurus revolving rifles and shotguns. For no better reason than they look and feel good. That's a good enough reason if you have the money.

My best friend is an excellent musician. He is very good with a piano and passable with a guitar among other things. However, he says that whenever he looks at a piano, he feels that he ought to play it, but maybe later. It's a chore. When he sees a guitar, he just picks it up and starts playing because it looks good and feels fun.

That's how I feel about some guns. There are guns that I love just because I love them and not because there isn't some alternative which could serve the role better. I love .410 even though it falls short of other choices almost any way you look at it. Those circuit judges are just pretty and they feel good. I'd want to shoot them. I think I would get bored of a S410 and use the S12. I don't think I would get bored of a revolving .410.

I'd really like some of the .410 lever guns for similar reasons.

Not bored, but priced out. 410 is expensive to shoot, no matter if it feels good or you just like the feel of it.

I love 12 ga. Always have. I'll take the recoil of that over a high powered bolt rifle any day. I grew up hunting with a 16 ga. that had a 28" barrel. Talk about recoil! A Saiga12 is easy compared to that.

I love my Judge. It's a handful. You know by the weight and the weight tames the recoil so it's manageable. I've not shot the Circuit judge yet. I want to and have a friend that has one, so It's just a timing thing.....

Before I go any farther, let me state that my pump action shot gun is un-reliable off brand because its been heavily used and left loaded for years by Grand Pa. I would not trust it for home defense. I love my S12, ALOT for fun and end of the world preparedness. That stated, I love the idea of the gun in the photo.

I could load 5 rounds, and there is no chance of mag spring wear/fail from age, wear, ect. Also, very few moving parts and a time perfected design... If it was affordable I would load it and leave it by the bedside, ignore it till the day it is needed....

That said, I could most likely buy a much better quality pump for WAY cheaper.

You've obviously never worked on a revolver.

100_0780.jpg

There's plenty of moving parts to a modern double action and given enough friction and time, they'll fail like anything else. Now, for the purposes that you mention it would fill that role well... but often people put too much stock in the idea of revolvers being completely fail safe.

• Like 2

You make a perfectly valid point, but I only have two weapons that have never managed to fail. One is an AK 47 and the other is my Colt Trooper Mark III. My S12 has not failed in a long time, but it has failed. My pump action is an effective baseball bat.

Your point is perfectly valid, and I would not consider a revolver shotgun to be a battle ready weapon at all though.

I've cleaned a lot of dirty gunked up revolvers that were completely locked up with either grime or rust for folks and I've yet to come across one that I couldn't at least make fire, albeit with shady timing. A revolver's weakest point is the cylinder lock/stop. One good real whack (or drop) on the side of the cylinder can either snap it, or bend it to the point the revolver is so outta time it will spit lead or possibly not even hit the primer. Revolvers may not malfunction the way semi-autos can, but they are definitely more fragile.

this would be awesome to pay the tax on and convert to a 12ga wheel gun

Fuck yeah. They did it in Russia (for police use if you can believe that.) and call it an OTs-62.

post-6253-0-55981000-1366130134.jpg

And yes, if imported, I would totally buy a MTs-255, register it, and then convert it to OTs-62. Not really interested in shotguns that aren't either 12 or 20 gauge.

Source: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/11/ots-62-12-gauge-service-revolver-shotgun/

this would be awesome to pay the tax on and convert to a 12ga wheel gun

Fuck yeah. They did it in Russia (for police use if you can believe that.) and call it an OTs-62.

attachicon.gifots_62_12_gauge.jpg

And yes, if imported, I would totally buy a MTs-255, register it, and then convert it to OTs-62. Not really interested in shotguns that aren't either 12 or 20 gauge.

Source: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/11/ots-62-12-gauge-service-revolver-shotgun/

Now that's hot!