i like bullseye because their is a ton of published data for a wide range of bullet weights. ive loaded as high as 145 and as low as 95 gr bullets.

Edited by Vintovka Dragunova
  • Like 1

When you can find it. My LGS never has red-dot.

I like the dot powders generally, but I've had some loads based on it that clearly weren't burning well. If it smells bad, when shooting, it isn't burning well, and another powder is a good idea. It seems to do pretty well for mid power stuff.

I figured for starting and maybe trying a few recipes and working up loads and chrono them to see what I can do.  For now its just to be able to do some practice loads on the inexpensive side(for my loving wife).  I figure once I'm more comfortable with experimenting with other recipes I'll venture out to specifics for specific loads.  And its the most common powder in the area @ the 3 shops that carry some reloading items.  If its a bust I will post up as well for others to read that are doing this as well.

• 7 months later...

An update.  Haven't found any powder since.  Some trickles in but mostly for rifle.  And I maybe reloading now for not only myself but my bro-in-law, and wife.  Wife in the next month or so will be getting her pistol so I know I will need more ammo for that as well as the bro-in-law.  Both will be going with 9mm so I know it will be all the same.  Of course the bro-in-law is gonna have to pay cost on the reloads so I am not manufacturing and selling.  Or at least assisting me with my hunt for powders.  

Side note, has anyone else seen a huge surge in reman ammo out there from many different companies, all charging almost the same as new loads.  Heck I can pick up win white box 100pk for $25/box.  I think this may very well be hurting us in the powder location.

Edited by montec
  • 2 months later...

You folks talking Bullseye; where are you finding it?  It's a favorite of mine, but I haven't seen any in stock for well over a year.

Recently I was able to latch onto some RedDot.  Also have a fair amount of Promo, so I'm not exactly hurting.  Truth be known, I've probably got enough to last me the rest of my life, LOL

Over the past year I've been loading .38 Spcl wadcutters and 200 gr. .45 acp target loads with Alliant e3 using RedDot starting loads.  Seems to work OK, but I haven't chronoed anything.  Plan to try e3 in 9mm, but going to start pretty light.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, it happened.  Powder showed up locally for Accurate #5 so I picked up 2 lbs.  I am hoping in the next couple months I can get some stuff cleaned up and projects done so I can try some loads out.

And to think it only took 2.5yrs for this powder to show up in the shelves.  I better check my stock on primers just to make sure I can last another shortage that could very well come in the next year or so.  Its election time.

Also wife had not selected her pistol yet.  I got my hands on a M&P shield for her to try but she didn't like how tight she had to hold it.  Hoping to get her the M&P 9c if I can get my hands on one for her to shoot.  I'm not a buy and trade in type guy.  If I can borrow from a friend or fellow shooter I will do so before I buy.

Edited by montec
  • Like 1

I was just about to start reloading too. I've been talking with a few serious competitive shooters and have been hearing very good things about CFE pistol. If I could be sure of a fairly stable supply of that, I would be pretty tempted to switch and make that my new standard.

Sorry, I didn't log the source.

125GR LRN hard cast, 3.3gr Red Dot, CCI CP. OAL 1.090". This load gave me the tightest overall grouping in my handguns.

Here's Alliant data from their 2004 manual:

125gr Lead
Win WSP Primer
4.5gr Red Dot MAX LOAD
1,145 FPS

From Alliant:

9mm Luger

115 gr lead bullet
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs

115 gr jacketed bullet
Red Dot start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs

124/125 gr lead 
Red Dot start 3.6 grs max 4.1 grs

124/125 gr jacketed
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs

I'm a bit lower than the Alliant data, but it's a published load. I just can't remember where I got it.

Remember, only YOU are responsible for what you do. Do your research.

• Like 1

I am well aware of that part. I never* use load data without finding a published load for equal or greater. 

*unless there is no published data for the projectile, as in my custom bullet, or cast bullets that are well over their nominal weights. Then I find a bullet one size up, and one below and work up very gradually, noting pressure signs.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well I did end up with some #5 not long ago. I haven't been able to work on some loads yet.

I do know I am going to need lots more now. Bro in law just picked up a xd 9 mod 2.0 and he wants me to assist with practice loads.

Should be good to let him pick and choose and be the ginea pig for powders and loads. He's got a bit more $ then I do at this point to experiment.

I will of course not deviate from published load data and have seen a few manufactures issue addendum updates for their loads. I've got them all printed off and stuck with my load books.

From experience, I can say even if his gun is the test rig, you should do the testing.

When you are working up from low, there is the risk of a barrel obstruction, and only you can be sure that adequate care will prevent firing the next round into it... 

Anyway, I don't share max loads with other people, and I don't let them have weak loads until I have worked up to a level where I can be sure an obstruction won't happen, and I have used the load for a while. Your brother and law can help, but don't let him do the actual test firing during the work-up process.

That's my advice, and you are an adult so you can ignore it if you want. I know I will be pretty rigid about this in my own practices.

From experience, I can say even if his gun is the test rig, you should do the testing.

When you are working up from low, there is the risk of a barrel obstruction, and only you can be sure that adequate care will prevent firing the next round into it... 

Anyway, I don't share max loads with other people, and I don't let them have weak loads until I have worked up to a level where I can be sure an obstruction won't happen, and I have used the load for a while. Your brother and law can help, but don't let him do the actual test firing during the work-up process.

That's my advice, and you are an adult so you can ignore it if you want. I know I will be pretty rigid about this in my own practices.

Oh no, I would never let someone fire the first rounds I make.  I hope it didn't sound like that, I ment he can buy the powder and I will load up with bullets and brass.  I know that loading your own brings risks that I would never want anyone to have an issue with.  I wont be loading without him there for ammo he will be right there working along with me.

• Like 1

you'll be glad you did. When you go to the range and find a random pile of  23 empty "6.7 LefthandedMonkeyskinner", you know there is some poor bugger who collects vintage "chimp specials" and will trade you a barrel of 9mm brass for it.

you'll be glad you did. When you go to the range and find a random pile of 23 empty "6.7 LefthandedMonkeyskinner", you know there is some poor bugger who collects vintage "chimp specials" and will trade you a barrel of 9mm brass for it.

Speaking of, I have a 5gal bucket of crap to sort thru. I had about 3 of steel/aluminum I chucked a few years ago.

• Like 1

Take that bucket of steel to the scrap yard and trade it in for a bucket of lead. I used to get brass at one too, before they stopped selling to the public.

I also bought about $90(?) worth of mixed brass for one of the guys here once. It was kind of a disappointing deal for him though. Previously every time I went, the barrels were full of belted magnums, which is what he wanted. The time I went for him, there were barely any. Also I hadn't really thought the thing through well. The plan was to scoop a bucket full and send him a big flat rate package or two and he would see what he got. 

After I got the brass, I realized I couldn't mail them without going through to check for any unfired ammo, etc. So I ended up sorting them for him, and he didn't get as much of what he was looking for. I think it was still cost effective for him, but not the score it could have been.  

I still plan to do something like that with a mechanical sorter some time and just get a few barrels of mixed range brass. Then I would be set for a long time.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Man its been forever. No reloading yet. Fleetfarm had a killerdeal after rebate on rem 115ge factory on black friday. Plus havent had much range time (this may change in the fall). Wife will be getting a pistol this month so i may end up reloading sooner rather thwn later.

I like Blue Dot for 9mm. I use 6.3gn behind a 125gn RN powder coated bullet for practice rounds and 6.0gn behind a 147gn JHP XTP for +P defensive loads. I'm interested in the new Alliant Sport Pistol powder, will try to get some soon.

I like Blue Dot for 9mm. I use 6.3gn behind a 125gn RN powder coated bullet for practice rounds and 6.0gn behind a 147gn JHP XTP for +P defensive loads. I'm interested in the new Alliant Sport Pistol powder, will try to get some soon.

How consistently does that meter for you in pistol volumes? Smoky? I just keep coming back to bullseye because it works so well, but I wouldn't mind something with a bigger safety margin.

How consistently does that meter for you in pistol volumes? Smoky? I just keep coming back to bullseye because it works so well, but I wouldn't mind something with a bigger safety margin.

It doesn't meter super well, usually .2 grain error. I meter and weigh each charge and then add/subtract powder to get better consistency. It burns pretty clean and I don't notice that much smoke.

Thanks. That tells me what I need to know. For me at least, life is too short for trickling, also for single stage loading of pistol ammo. 

It looks like I'll still be keeping an eye out for a bargain on CFEPistol and loading bullseye in the meantime.