So I thought I was smart and trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. I wanted a powder that was relatively universal. That seems to have backfired on me.

I went with American Select as it worked for both 9mm and 12ga. However what I didn't notice is that it was for XTP bullets and doesn't come up under any loading data for Jacketed bullets or Plated.

So I gathered up my reloading data I had and looked for powder that works with Jacketed and plated. I came up with Vihtavuori N320, N330, and N340. Those actually work with all 3 listings. But it looks to be not something that is stocked locally anywhere.

The other options I came up with are Silhoette, True Blue, and Accurate #7.

Is anyone using any of these powders to give me an idea if they are clean burning or work well? I was hoping to keep the FPS above 1k.

I use accurate #5, #7, & #9 for all my pistol loads. To me it's clean. I have used Unique and found it to be dirty. The only thing about plated bullets is you can't drive them as fast as the others, use the same load data for lead bullets and you should be OK. Start low and work up. I shoot and have a butt load of Hornady XTP bullets loaded, in 9, 38, 357, 40, and 45.

What grain bullets you looking to load??

I use accurate #5, #7, & #9 for all my pistol loads. To me it's clean. I have used Unique and found it to be dirty. The only thing about plated bullets is you can't drive them as fast as the others, use the same load data for lead bullets and you should be OK. Start low and work up. I shoot and have a butt load of Hornady XTP bullets loaded, in 9, 38, 357, 40, and 45.

What grain bullets you looking to load??

I am using 115gr. I have some pulled bullets that are JHP from the place I order from. But was looking to do plated since they have more of that and I need to do FMJ I think for plinking. Its $20 difference in price per 1k ordered. And he has the Plated in stock currently.

I was told by ruger that my P95 likes the 115gr, not to use the 124 or other odd sized. I think I could do 147 but I like the lighter bullet for some reason. Probably the same reason I went 9mm instead of 45acp. And the reason why I use 150gr in my 30-30 only.

I use Titegroup for ALL my pistol, 38SP, 40S&W, and 45 Colt.

I did a bit of searching to come up with the answer,

and I asked a reloader that uses the same powder.

I have not tried in 25 ACP yet, still waiting on brass and boolits.

I am sure there is beter out there for the diff calibers,

but I am like you, I dont want a lot of diff powders around.

HS-6 is supposed to be good for 9mm, and I've been using it for my 12 gauge loads. If you can get some Power Pistol, that seems to be one of the best for 9mm. I have some 124 grain loaded up with it for use in my Suomi carbine, but I haven't gotten to the range with them yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the Vihtavuori powders he listed. I can't seem to find any local suppliers, but the published loads list some very good velocities for the pressure, and they also had some of the better numbers for 38 /357 loads.

Finding something that works for plated and Jacketed is the hard part.

If I wanted something slower then 1000fps I would shot a 45acp. 021.gifnaaaa.gif

Oh and for anyones FYI, you can fit 4 1lb containers of alliant in a fat 50 can.

Edited by montec
I always just used bullseye... <shrug>

000.gif

Me too so far for the pistol loads, but if I can gain ~200 FPS at the same pressures, why not switch? Also, B.E. seems to have a lot of flash compared to my factory ammo of comparable power.

i mean I just fill the CASINGS all the way FULL of bullseye... 9 mm, 223, 308, 50 bmg... all of it... just fill em to the top, JAM a bullet in em, and SHOOT!!!! :up:

ROFL!!!! NOT REALLY.... I still enjoy life... AND my face, fingers, and firearms all in ONE piece!!!! ROFL!!!!!

:smoke:

• 3 weeks later...

i mean I just fill the CASINGS all the way FULL of bullseye... 9 mm, 223, 308, 50 bmg... all of it... just fill em to the top, JAM a bullet in em, and SHOOT!!!! 032.gif

ROFL!!!! NOT REALLY.... I still enjoy life... AND my face, fingers, and firearms all in ONE piece!!!! ROFL!!!!!

000.gif

um no - that was a joke folks. 9 mm = 4 grains of Bullseye, 12 gauge = 17 grains....YMMV. Use the load books..... Red Dot works good for both too.

I emailed alliant inquiring for load data.

my email

"I was looking to find out if your American Select Powder will work for 9mm 115gr bullets?

I have many options available to me for types from JHP, FMJ, Plated, and Frangible.

I've been searching for the most compatible powder that will work for all types of bullets for my firearm caliber.

I have searched thru your guide, as well as many other reloading books searching for a workable powder for this caliber."

Now this was in an email I got from Alliiant .

9mm Luger
115 gr lead bullet
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Green Dot start 4.2 grs max 4.7 grs
Unique start 4.5
max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs
115 gr jacketed bullet
Red Dot start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Green Dot start 4.2 grs max 4.7 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5.5 grs
Power Pistol start 5.9 grs max 6.3 grs
124/125 gr lead
Red Dot start 3.6 grs max 4.1 grs
Bullseye start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Green Dot start 3.9 grs max 4.4 grs
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.8 grs max 5.3 grs
124/125 gr jacketed
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs
Bullseye start 3.9 grs max 4.3 grs
Green Dot start 4.1 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs
147 gr lead
Bullseye start 2.8 grs max 3.3 grs
Green Dot start 3 grs max 3.4 grs
Unique start 3.2 grs max 3.6 grs
Power Pistol start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
147 gr jacketed
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Note: Start with the minimum charge wt. Reload just a few and be sure they will properly cycle the action
of your pistol before reloading a quantity.
Edited by montec
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I did load some up with the american select and it was a compressed charge, was a bit light so will be looking for another powder still. Figured I would try it out. I wasn't even @ max charge. Shot a bit with a white cloud.

Why mess with compressed charges? That's where things get erratic and risky.

I think I will try some red-dot 9mm loads just to see how they compare to Bullseye. My LGS just got some of each in stock, so I grabbed both just to have options. I also found a not very local reloading store. It was a really good shop, but is 3.5 hours from me. They are the only store I have found that stocks Vitavourhi powders. They even had N350, the powder I was looking for. The bad news? The stuff was ~$40/lb. Now I know why no one stocks it. I am not going to spend twice as much for 150 FPS for my range ammo. Maybe if I was casting hunting ammo, or some good HPs with a Mihec mold, but nor for plinkers. Plus even at the book max charge, I don't see pressure signs, and there is probably a little more room for a +P load.

Non of the recipies for the powder showed it as a compressed charge, but it dam near filled the case with about 5.1gr in it. I'm gonna select something different. Gonna have to go back and check all my books and look @ everyone's recommendations from here on what they use or to use. I should contact bvac and find out what they used for powder if they would give that to me. That shite packs a wallop.

AA #5. Loaded some 115 grains to plink with, but had to "tweak" the load to get them to cycle my 92fs reliably, and they shoot sweet. And Yes, they are Rainier plated bullets. Loaded some Rainier 158 gr. plated HP's for .357, dug a couple out of the bank, they looked OK, aside from hitting all the dirt and rocks.

• 2 months later...

Just pick one of those in post #21 and go with it. Don't make this too complicated. RedDot and Promo are interchangeable data and promo is cheaper, so that is another option too. 

Bullseyse meters well and is cheap and works, so I don't have much incentive to change for 9mm. I would prefer to use something bulkier for revolver loads just as a safety feature, but it has been so easy to just load the same bullet with the same powder measure set exactly the same for .38 SPL as I do for 9mm.

Just pick one of those in post #21 and go with it. Don't make this too complicated. RedDot and Promo are interchangeable data and promo is cheaper, so that is another option too. 

Bullseyse meters well and is cheap and works, so I don't have much incentive to change for 9mm. I would prefer to use something bulkier for revolver loads just as a safety feature, but it has been so easy to just load the same bullet with the same powder measure set exactly the same for .38 SPL as I do for 9mm.

No I understand that.  Its just trying to find one that is in stock is the issue.  I just keep playing the waiting game.  It's been awhile since I've done much of anything firearm related.

This may be shitty advice, but here goes.  I use middle of the road jacketed bullet data for my plated 9mm loads in 115 and 124 gr.  I just dont push my bullets past 1150 and I feel fine about it.  Ive shot literally thousands with no problem.  Start at the bottom and work your way up and you will be fine.

Ive used red dot for my 115gr loads and it works pretty well.  Its a large flake powder, so it doesnt meter the best with my lee disks (not like win231), but it works.  It has a very small min to max window, so be careful.  This powder seems to be everywhere.

I use 4.3 grains with a 115 gr bullet.  

The range is 4.0 - 4.5 for 115 bullets.

If you can find unique, buy it.  It is the kind of powder that you can use for everything, and it gives really good velocities without being too spikey in pressure.  Yes it is a bit dirty, but no more than win white box or the like.  

I use 5.3 gr with a 124 grain bulllet

The alliant website lists the max load as 6.2gr for a 124gr bullet.

I know its been a while since you started this post, but I figured id chime in.

Ive been reloading 9mm for a while now, if you need anything just ask.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for chiming in.  I haven;t found much for powder yet.  I am using everyone's input to go thru.  Pulled my reloading books out tonight and am looking thru them.  

The wife is heading up to about 10mins from the nearest cabella's so I'm sending her in with a short list for me of some Items including powder.  Ordered me some 115G plated bullets so I'm looking @ all powder recipies I can find for whats all listed here.  

I'm more of I'd like to get as much out of a lb as I can for bang for the buck for quantity of reloads so I do appreciate everyone here for providing insight and other options that they all use.

Now everyone uses something different and I can appreciate the knowledge from other reloaders and I do not mean to insult anyone if I have not chosen or I am too much of a debater over what I am looking for.

I do know that I wish I knew what freedom munitions uses for powder so I can stay clear of that as it was so god aweful dirty that I barely made it thru 50rds before I had issue with it feeding as it was a mess.

• 4 weeks later...

wow, this is kinda an old post, hadnt had much time to get on with work and life. but ive used from day one hodgdon: clays universal for my standard pistol loads. with a 4gr charge it will put a 115gr cast bullet to 1034 starting load, and at 4.5gr to 1124. also i use alot of plated bullets and had no issues with them.

as for it being clean, i put about 700 rounds through my berretta with out having jams or ejecting issues. 

hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well an update I have decided to go with Accurate #5 if it ever shows up on the shelf.  Its got similar fps and pressure but lower grains. used.  Both the local Fleet Farm and Scheels have it shown on the shelf just non instock.  And its cheap about $19/lb thats cheaper then Alliant.