Disassembly for cleaning?

This is going to sound like I have no business owning a firearm, but I will say it anyways. I can't get the receiver cover off. I tried pushing in the button and it should just come off, but it doesn't. I have tried using a flathead screw driver to push it in and that does no good. I have the saftey on, and mag removed. I am not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought it was worth adding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, cleveland.

How to strip your AK for cleaning:

1 push in the "tab" on the back of the receiver cover while pulling up on the cover.

2 With the cover off, remove the recoil spring.

3 remove the bolt carrier, bolt, gas piston assembly. don't worry if the bolt falls out, you can't screw up when you put it back in, it only goes in one way.

4 Rotate the gas tube release lever (on the right side of the rifle by the rear sight) so that it sticks straight up into the air. The lever is very tight, and you will most likely need a pliers.

5 Pull up on the gas tube

6 Clean, make sure to clean out the gas tube too, mine is always caked with stuff.

Reassembly

1 Place the tube back in place, and rotate the lever back down to the locked position,

2 Put the bolt back into the bolt carrier if it fell out, and make sure the bolt all the way to the front of the carrier (it should slide easily in the grooves on the carrier)

3 Put the carrier, bolt and gas piston back into the receiver, if the hammer came uncocked, you will have to cock it by hand to get the carrier back in.

4 Slide the recoil rod back into place. Be sure to get the back end into the groove on the trunnion.

5 To put the receiver cover back on, set it in place, and line up the "tab" with the hole in the cover. slide the cover up to the tab and push the tab in. slide the front of the cover into the groove below the rear sight.

6 If everything is lined up, smack the top of the cover so that the "tab" pops into place. Once the tab is protruding from the cover, the cover is secured in place.

Just for kicks...

Are you trying to do this with the BOLT LOCKED OPEN???

That makes it REALLY, really hard to get the cover off....

with the bolt closed, push the button on the rear tab down, the rear tab IN, and lift the cover UP at the rear.

:smoke:

well...i never looked for a bolt hold open on my x39...but about 2 months ago i found it there. i can't remember the exact specs on my gun but i know its an EAA model....so they arn't like a left handed smokeshifter

So I push the button down, and then in? Does the button go through the cover? I mean am I supposed to be able to push the button all the way through the hole in the cover? Mine seems to be getting caught up on the top of the button. :unsure: I will try again when I get home tonight.

Edited by cleveland

That button has a slot on the top of it that the cover fits into. Thats what holds it on. The pressure of the recoil spring keeps it all tight. Pull up on the cover, push in on the button, and push down on the button all at the same time. Yes, the button goes through the cover. Use a screwdriver to make this easier. Your thumb will get caught in there if you reassemble with your thumb.

Once you get the top cover off, everything else will be almost self explanitiory. You will see how simple the AK design is, and look back on this moment and laugh. Its a good thing if your top cover fits very tightly. It means that the rifle was put together with nice, close tolerances.

I'm glad we could help.

Well, the button doesn't clear the hole in the cover. There space to pass through in the hole under the button, however the button and the cover overlap at the top of the button. I tried wiggling it back and forth and there was no play at all. I guess I am going to have to take it to a shop. All I have managed to do is scrape off the bluing on the button. :angry:

When you push in the tab you can feel 2 distinct stages. It will first push easily, and then get harder (you should be able to feel the change), be sure to keep pressing in on the tab while you pull up on the cover.

The only part of the tab that has to end up inside the cover is the bottom, but the top will go in a ways too. Just push it as hard and as far as you can.

The tab that the little button mounts into, that you need to push thru the cover *MUST* go all the way thru the cover... if it doesnt... MAKE IT... hit it with a screwdriver and a hammer!!!!

That is the bolt carrier return spring, and it is mounted in such a way that it *IS SUPPOSED TO BE REMOVEABLE* for cleaning!

If you cannot get it to push all the way thru the cover, it must be jammed up

Remember this rule....

If it JAMS... FORCE IT... if it BREAKS... it NEEDED REPLACING ANYWAYS!

once the cover is off, that tab on a spring slides forwards and OUT OF THE RECEIVER groove that it lies in... and you take it OUT so that you can remove the bolt carrier and the rest of the internal parts...

The tab that the little button mounts into, that you need to push thru the cover *MUST* go all the way thru the cover... if it doesnt... MAKE IT... hit it with a screwdriver and a hammer!!!!

That is the bolt carrier return spring, and it is mounted in such a way that it *IS SUPPOSED TO BE REMOVEABLE* for cleaning!

If you cannot get it to push all the way thru the cover, it must be jammed up

Remember this rule....

If it JAMS... FORCE IT... if it BREAKS... it NEEDED REPLACING ANYWAYS!

once the cover is off, that tab on a spring slides forwards and OUT OF THE RECEIVER groove that it lies in... and you take it OUT so that you can remove the bolt carrier and the rest of the internal parts...

:lolol: Thats funnt Indy!! But hes right. Don't worry, you won't break it. Elves make AKs out of magical beer cans in an enchanted basement. Dont worry about scraping some paint off either, a spray can of flat black BBQ grill paint will fix 'er right up! Automotive engine header paint works good too.

I know how tight a dust cover can fit. Don't worry, it's good that it is so tight. After you've popped it on and off a few times, it will be alot easier to do. Before you take it to a shop and spend money or time or hassle with it, let us try to get you through this.

I PMed you my home phone number. Give me a call at home, I will pull my Saiga out from under my pillow and walk you through this over the phone. It will be alot easier to do with someone doing it with you.

Cleveland, Did you get it open yet? If not, I have a couple videos showing how it can be done.

If you use the screwdriver, don't worry about it going way into the receiver, you wont break anything, and the recoil rod goes back into it's slot realy easily.

http://media.putfile.com/Ak-cover-removal

http://media.putfile.com/AK-cover-removal-with-a-screwdriver

Thanks for those video. They let me know I am not a dum bass. ;) I was getting worried that I was missing something. The top of the button catches. Is there a spring inside that is pushing up? The button wont got down any farther to clear the top of the hole. It almost seems that the button is too big. If I had not read the post about not filing it, I would be doing that next.

I GOT IT!!!!!! I guess I was babying it. I got pissed and laid into it and it popped right off. Thanks for the help, I hope it was entertaining. :smoke:

Edited by cleveland

hahah. Ive helped guys fix thier guns with rubber mallets. I guess Ill be the first one to say it.

its an AK! BRING A HAMMER WITH YOU! USE YOUR FOOT! HOOK IT ON A BRANCH AND CLIMB WITH IT!

:)

...and they make them in 12 gauge? shit, I gtta have one....wait, I already do!

the bottun, you mean the spring loaded button on top of the recoil spring assembly? that pushes in and goes under the dust cover?

the hole, now you mean the hole that should be square on the reciever cover?

remember russian quality control on akm types isnt the greatest. its part of the character of the gun.

Yep, but it is more like the letter "u" now that it has been sliced. Is that going to be an issue? I don't want the cover to come off when firing it.

Also, does anyone have a link for firing pin disassembly instruction?

Hey guys, thanks again for all the help.

as long as there is reciever dust cover metal UNDER the latch button on the back of the reciever, you are golden. you can fire the thing with the cover off, without a problem. the whole package together is kind of leery the first time you see it, but its fine. shoot the shit out of it.

you knock the pin out of the side of the bolt to remove the firing pin.

Ive never had a need to disassemble either my romanian AK or my saiga 12's firing pin. know how I clean them? field strip them and spray them out with wd-40 or preferrably, PM blaster, let them sit and drain off, and then oil and reassemble. I hardy ever use a cloth on either of them.

DONT BABY IT!!!

Truly... there is NO REAL NEED for you to remove the firing pin, unless its BROKEN...

Just spray it out with cleaner, or the like, then oil... thats all you need to do for that part.

I have posted EXTENSIVE cleaning instructions on the forums... check them out, they step by step you thru nearly EVERY conceiveable aspect of cleaning a Saiga!

Have fun! Glad ya got 'er apart!!!

Truly... there is NO REAL NEED for you to remove the firing pin, unless its BROKEN...

OR, there is a pice of sealant from a round stuck in the channel the firing pin is in, and it starts slam firing.

Best to just avoid this in the first place by cleaning it once and a while.

slam firing.

That's my concern. I know it is a real possibility with my SKS, and considering the similarities I figured better safe then sorry. Does the FP have a spring on it? I know with the SKS they are free floating.

pistonring8, I would be happy to check out your post. Where do I find it?

Thanks again for all the help guys.