anyone ever try to convert a saiga 223 to a 300aac

Everything I've researched is the barrel needs be changed out to one chambered in .300. Barrel blanks are available for about $50-ish once profiled (turned by gunsmith), pressed and properly head spaced... check gas ports and adjust if needed. Should work like a champ

• Like 2

I don't understand why you would chamber a non-AR in .300 Blackout unless you intended to load up some subsonic rounds for suppressors. The whole point of the .300 Blackout seems to be to simplify an AR by sharing 5.56 components, and to enable easier .30 cal suppression. Maybe someone can clue me in?

• Like 1
I don't understand why you would chamber a non-AR in .300 Blackout unless you intended to load up some subsonic rounds for suppressors. The whole point of the .300 Blackout seems to be to simplify an AR by sharing 5.56 components, and to enable easier .30 cal suppression. Maybe someone can clue me in?

Ballistics, Ballistics and Ballistics. The goal was to have both Supersonic (125 grain to 500+/- yards) and Subsonic (220 grain to 200 +/- yards)...... Suppressed and non-suppressed capability.

• Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for AR platform
  • Utilize existing inventory magazines while retaining their full capacity
  • Create the optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire
  • Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62×39mm ballistics <---------------
  • Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles
  • Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package
  • Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Texas AK Designs" data-cid="891600" data-time="1366235582"><p><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mancat" data-cid="891586" data-time="1366234028"><p>I don't understand why you would chamber a non-AR in .300 Blackout unless you intended to load up some subsonic rounds for suppressors. The whole point of the .300 Blackout seems to be to simplify an AR by sharing 5.56 components, and to enable easier .30 cal suppression. Maybe someone can clue me in?</p></blockquote>

Ballistics, Ballistics and Ballistics. The goal was to have both Supersonic (125 grain to 500+/- yards) and Subsonic (220 grain to 200 +/- yards)...... Suppressed and non-suppressed capability.<ul class='bbc'><li>Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for AR platform<br /></li><li>Utilize existing inventory magazines while retaining their full capacity<br /></li><li>Create the optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire<br /></li><li>Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm'>7.62×39mm</a> ballistics <strong class='bbc'><--------------- </strong><br /></li><li>Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles<br /></li><li>Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package</li></ul></p></blockquote>

Texas ak hit it right in the nose. I own llenty of guns in 223/556... why not have one in 300aac.. haha

The only reason I can see to do this is if you own a silencer, and then if you reload you could load subsonic x39 and get everything blackout does. Easy to get factory subs I'd the only reason I can see to do this.

Now if it's a "because I can" type of reason yea do it! I hate it when people tell you why it's a stupid idea,even I'd it is.

You should only need a barrel, mags are same it's the same case head so bolt is same.

The only reason I can see to do this is if you own a silencer, and then if you reload you could load subsonic x39 and get everything blackout does. Easy to get factory subs I'd the only reason I can see to do this.

Now if it's a "because I can" type of reason yea do it! I hate it when people tell you why it's a stupid idea,even I'd it is.

You should only need a barrel, mags are same it's the same case head so bolt is same.

Also note that getting pulled bullets and brass for .300 BO is more convenient and plentiful than 7.62x39, which is kind of an oddball diameter. Plus there is no risk of a boxer cartridge getting mixed and breaking your depriming pin. Then there is the advantage of combining with something like TAKD bastard and having much nicer mags and commonality with your other toys. 300 BO brass is very easy to make from .223, which is surprisingly easy to find even in ammo crunch times.

The ballistics are supposed to be just slightly better than the ruskie round on full power, and have a similar trajectory to .22lr if suppressed susonic.

That said, I think I would just get a 7.62 x 39 saiga and call it good and purpose build a 300 bo AR. what I personally plan for the future is a 300BO tavor with a home made form 1 can.

Ballistics, Ballistics and Ballistics. The goal was to have both Supersonic (125 grain to 500+/- yards) and Subsonic (220 grain to 200 +/- yards)...... Suppressed and non-suppressed capability.

• Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62×39mm ballistics <---------------

I get what you're saying, but this is sort of what I said. Almost every reason you gave is specific to the AR platform.

I get what you're saying, but this is sort of what I said. Almost every reason you gave is specific to the AR platform.

The world isn't just AR's and/or AK's..... to the dismay of both camps. The AR, M4 and M16 is not the only rifles using NATO 5.56 that could benefit from a ballistic upgrade? IWI Tavor, FN SCAR, FAMAS G2, H&K SL8 w/conversion and Daewoo K2 are a few that come to mind.

Too, the AK rifle platform is not sacred in the ballistics department, you wouldn't see a 12g, 20g and 410..... You'd have 7.62x54r, 7.62x39 and 5.45 to choose from as the others were adopted or invented as time went on. Why should this be any different? If there is an added benefit....albeit NATO related mostly (As was the case with the AK-101 in 5.56) we all benefit with more options.

***There are other Russian ammunitions like the SP versions but were not used as main infantry rounds.

I'm talking more about the parts sharing issue. It seems to me that most of the users want to use the round in 5.56 ARs because it uses the majority of 5.56 parts. Most of the other rifles you mentioned are not easily rebarreled for this cartridge.

I'm talking more about the parts sharing issue. It seems to me that most of the users want to use the round in 5.56 ARs because it uses the majority of 5.56 parts. Most of the other rifles you mentioned are not easily rebarreled for this cartridge.

Tavor and SCAR are not AR/M platforms yet are easy as hell to change barrels and are currently used in service around the world. Some I listed just as reference to as they could be upgraded as they cross share platform accessories for the 5.56 (mags and such without needing to change the bolt to use the .300 BO).

The French created the FAMAS G2 to be compliant with STANAG 4179 mag specs..... so If a better round came out they may update again. (Speculating) Then again they are French and by default weird from the word go.

I think you are failing to see the bigger picture of what the round is capable of compared to the 5.56 without a complete armory overhaul.... which equals mucho dollars $$$$$$ (I'm not sure you are aware there is a huge push in the military world for a better ballistic projectile.)

Like I said it would largely be due to NATO we see this done. Too, the British are about to retire the SA80 and looking for a new drug of choice. H&K416 is rumored to be a candidate..... speaking of, it also would be an easy upgrade to the .300 BO as well.

No I understand that. My main point of confusion here was, why someone would rechamber a .223 AK when 7.62x39 does almost all of the same things.

I can understand if you want to go to all of the work to make a Saiga .223 in .300 Blackout that would accept AR mags, for example.

One word. NATO....

STANAG 4172 standardized the 5.56 cartridge amongst NATO. If Russia wants to sell arms to they have to adopt the caliber..... just as they did with the 5.56.

Read this if you hadn't seen.... a .500 Whisper like bullpup to the bottom and speculation of a Grendal AK. Russia wants to sell arms it is very lucrative for them and they know it.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/12/06/here-are-two-new-russian-guns-that-our-troops-could-face-on-the-battlefield/

Outside of that, your question is subjective to personal opinion as to why someone would want a .300. Probably much like that of one who'd want a .223 (5.56x54) or a .308 (7.62x51) AK. Allows a standardization of ammunition stored.

I think we understand what each other is saying for the most part. You're right it's mostly down to opinion. I would rather leave .223 AKs in their original chambering and go with 7.62x39 for the purpose of having a slower-velocity .30 cal for suppression, etc. If I had several ARs, or other easily convertible firearms that used STANAG magazines, the .300 Blackout would be more attractive.

• Like 1

Texas u know ur shit and throwing out facts i would use!! Love it. Spent the day calling local shops and no ine has a gun smith or the technology to turn a barrel :-(. Can you shggest a shop who is capable of doing this that i can ship my baby 2

Sweet keep me posted

14.5 inch barrel wouls be treat with pinned and welded comp would be legit.. no fsb but a gas block with a front sight!!ugh so want

Edited by cguiro
Sweet keep me posted

14.5 inch barrel wouls be treat with pinned and welded comp would be legit.. no fsb but a gas block with a front sight!!ugh so want

How about this?

14.7" barrel. It is a 1:8 twist barrel and threaded for 5/8 - 24.

Because of the larger diameter projectile, the barrel will need to be larger. So I will need to make a larger/custom gas and rear sight block to make it work.

• 2 weeks later...