Catamount fury tear down and review

I picked up my cat yesterday evening and fired about 150 rounds through it.50 royal buckshot, 50 federal 7 bird shot, 50 Winchester universal 8 shot the royal and the federal did great the Winchester ejected two the other 48 basically re chambered the empty shells. the gun itself seems pretty nice but i don't have a s12 or vepr to compare it to nor have i shot either one so i cant compare.the finish is okay but my s308 has a nicer finish.I think it would be easy to convert it to a pistol grip i am not sure what you could use for a new buttstock with out having standard ak tang. I complete tear down and took allot of pictures.the one thing that i am very disappointed in is that it says on the barrel lead shot only.When i ordered this i read the century and centerfire website and their was no mention of this anywhere i don't know why it cant shoot steel shot and i feel like century hid that little detail.maybe it can shoot steel with certain precautions.overall I am medium satisfied if that makes sense.

post-44196-0-91878000-1366248664_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-88626500-1366248692_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-26713700-1366248725_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-00246700-1366248755_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-72455400-1366248776_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-17435200-1366248837_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-87907000-1366248864_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-55680900-1366248887_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-97708900-1366248921_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-49107600-1366248944_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-68891200-1366248968_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-03699300-1366248998_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-66773600-1366249020_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-12586600-1366249056_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-21581700-1366249116_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-23610800-1366249141_thumb.jpg

Edited by red308
  • Like 4
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I picked up my cat yesterday evening and fired about 150 rounds through it.50 royal buckshot, 50 federal 7 bird shot, 50 Winchester universal 8 shot the royal and the federal did great the Winchester

I find it rather odd and rather stupid that they redesigned the buttstock attachment. To use anything other than the stock it comes with you would have to replace the trunnion, or wait for proprietar

Posted Images

Thanks for the pics and write up. No steel shot is kinda a deal breaker at price point.

Conversion seems like it's pretty straight forward. For a new stock you should look into ace adaptors, that would be the simple route. Next major issue is how easily will this be able to accept saiga mags. If that's impossible, or a magwell impossible this thing is dead in the water. In my opinon.

Great breakdown. Doesn't look too badly made, but it's the things you can't see that count - low-carbon steel metallurgy may be why you can't do steel shot.

It looks like the bolt carrier is almost completely die-cast?

I think it's interesting that some of the component pins are staked. Not sure why that is - never really seen that done on any AK before.

Finish just looks like a heavy parkerizing. It would probably take to a quality firearm coating very well.

At least you can just easily pull out the factory trigger linkage by hand.

It does appear from the pictures that many of the conversion parts for the S12 will work or could be modified to work on the Fury. My concern as well is that bolt carrier and how long it will hold up to repeated punishment. I would love to get my hands on one next to the Saiga with a set of calipers. That info would go along way in determining what would easily work and wouldn't with standard Saiga conversion parts.

I'd buy one. I'd also break it in hard and if anything is going to happen it would happen then. But I don't think it will. I'm guessing this is a decent copy of the Russian beast. It's a little oddball.....but so was the Saiga when we first seen it.

Great breakdown. Doesn't look too badly made, but it's the things you can't see that count - low-carbon steel metallurgy may be why you can't do steel shot.

It looks like the bolt carrier is almost completely die-cast?

I think it's interesting that some of the component pins are staked. Not sure why that is - never really seen that done on any AK before.

Finish just looks like a heavy parkerizing. It would probably take to a quality firearm coating very well.

At least you can just easily pull out the factory trigger linkage by hand.

your right about the finish if i get around to trying to convert it i will blast it and put a quality finish on.I emailed century to ask why they never mentioned the little detail about steel shot cant wait for their answer.

I find it rather odd and rather stupid that they redesigned the buttstock attachment. To use anything other than the stock it comes with you would have to replace the trunnion, or wait for proprietary aftermarket stock. To me that would be the deal breaker. he horrible looks of the casting on the carrier(could just be pics) kind of scares me as well.

• Like 4

Shoot the piss outta that thing. How many ports does it have? I wasnt really interested in this offering, and the buttstock aspect does blow. This is a good write up on it and helps clarify what many of us have been wondering.

Run that fucker hard and keep us posted! Congrats. Another gun is never a good thing IMO.

I'm not an expert. Questions concerning the "no steel shot".

Does it have a chrome lined barrel?

Does it have a choke on the barrel? Some chokes are made for lead or steel?

I looks good, will be interesting to see what it takes to fit an S-12 mag.

it has internal chokes and i don't know if the barrel is chrome lined. there is no mention of chrome lining on centerfire or century's site and if it was chromed i think century would advertise it as so.

Interesting.

I have no idea why they would screw us with that rear trunnion. Makes no sense.

Finish doesn't look as bad as I expected but the carrier does look kinda rough.

Am I all mixed up or is that a last-round-bolt-hold-open? Looks like the follower pushes it up when the mag is empty.

Internal chokes are cool but could be a problem if you were wanting a different muzzle device.

I do like the factory HGs though, and the sights look nice.

First post, got the Fury II yesterday, Installed a 308 Saiga US stock. It needed to be narrowed a little, and the nose reshaped to match the original. The 308 stock is hollow, so making up a through bolt will not be a problem. Only got one choke with it. Trigger guard is spot welded on, will require drillin out the spot weld. As I do more, I'll post the pic's.(I'll use a higher resolution)

Ken

post-46552-0-17946100-1366417076_thumb.jpg

post-46552-0-81804000-1366417085_thumb.jpg

post-46552-0-11463800-1366417093_thumb.jpg

post-46552-0-34830800-1366417112_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For those of you who don't like the rear trunnion, it looks to have a standard rivet pattern. The rear trunnion is one part on an AK where you can usually get away with using threaded screws rather than rivets. Rivets would be best, but you could easily drill out the existing rivets and then install a standard AK trunnion using button-head machine screws in the style of a screw-built AK.

• Like 1

my cat is already going back to century for warranty if they will take it. I shot about fifty more buckshot and fifty federal 7 shot today and the gun is fucked. the bolt carrier is jammed all the way to the back and i cant get the top cover open so as of right now anybody looking to buy one i might think about holding off until some things get sorted out. ill post some pics tomorrow.

I am sorry to hear that Red. Hopefully Century will make it right. I am hoping that these guns prove reliable, as I see them possibly being the "new Saiga" in the fact that they might come way down in price, and could be an affordable platform to build any way you want.

Let us know what the cause of the failure is when you find out. I am intesrested to know if you got a lemon, or if it is an inherent flaw with the materials or design.

Red,

Might try removing the pin that holds the the top cover on. Think that I will hold off on cutting and drilling until you see what happened.

Ken

Edited by w3kmp

so this is what has happened to my cat. the recoil spring is to weak and the gas regulator doesn't work.it doesn't matter what setting i put it on it shoots the cheap shells the same and when i shoot buckshot i closed the gas off and it still is overpowering the recoil spring. the metal used is very week and with the power of the 2 3/4 royal buckshot it is slamming the bolt carrier against the rear dust cover retainer and distorting the cheap steel casting.look at where the bolt carrier should slide on the rails and you can see where the casting has distorted allowing the bolt carrier to jump up from the rails causing it to jam open all the way back.

post-44196-0-13339100-1366472810_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-97310700-1366472842_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-07825800-1366472865_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-82923000-1366472918_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-68601000-1366472957_thumb.jpg

Crazy. Interesting to see how you are treated with the return, I hope everything works out for you. I am assuming parts are not interchangeable such as the gas regulator and bolt carrier with the S-12?

i shipped it out to century yesterday.I don't know about interchangeability.

Crazy. Interesting to see how you are treated with the return, I hope everything works out for you. I am assuming parts are not interchangeable such as the gas regulator and bolt carrier with the S-12?

i shipped it out to century yesterday.I don't know about interchangeability.

Cool. I just read(again) after I posted that.... you didn't have a s12 or vepr to compare with. Thank you.

The carrier looks fine to me?

I wonder if your receiver actually bulged. Who knows whether or not they're fully heat-treated.

its hard to see in the picture where the carrier slides on the rails in the receiver are all distorted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my shotgun back in the mail about a week ago and all century did to fix the gun was grind down all the the distorted metal so everything would slide freely.three days ago i sold the cat and couldn't be happier. imo the catamount fury is a large piece of shit and i would not recommend anybody spend their hard earned money on one.century also said that the gun cant just fire any shell you need to try all brands to find one that allows the gun to function.

• Like 1