Catamount fury tear down and review

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I picked up my cat yesterday evening and fired about 150 rounds through it.50 royal buckshot, 50 federal 7 bird shot, 50 Winchester universal 8 shot the royal and the federal did great the Winchester

I find it rather odd and rather stupid that they redesigned the buttstock attachment. To use anything other than the stock it comes with you would have to replace the trunnion, or wait for proprietar

Posted Images

post-27774-0-96094700-1370753444_thumb.jpg

I got my shotgun back in the mail about a week ago and all century did to fix the gun was grind down all the the distorted metal so everything would slide freely.three days ago i sold the cat and couldn't be happier. imo the catamount fury is a large piece of shit and i would not recommend anybody spend their hard earned money on one.century also said that the gun cant just fire any shell you need to try all brands to find one that allows the gun to function.

• Like 6

Looks like a $300 gun, as a gamble, maximum.

Thanks for sharing your experiences as a first-run guinea pig!

i would go buy another one if it was 300$ but i doubt that will ever happen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Honestly if these where priced like they should be. ie way  less than the saiga 12. i might consider buying one to mess around with.

so now that the price came down i did just that. and so far im really liking this shotgun....

i

Any pics?

im currently converting it. just swapped out the rear trunnion. i also just ordered a russian vepr magwell going to see about installing that.. pics when complete..

ill post it in the catamount fury section....................................................................lol

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Stock should be here in a few days. I can't find the bolt pattern listed so I'm stuck measuring and drilling.

I had to weld an extension onto the back of my trigger for the safety to make contact. What did you do to solve that problem?

I'm putting together a video showing the problems and solutions as I go.. The bolt and other internal parts look like they spent a night in a shot blaster, they don't seem to be cast. I think I know why the bolt got stuck back during firing. The dust cover is on the wrong side of the recoil spring, so it can actually go behind the carrier when fired. The recoil spring seems narrow and its binding in the carrier.

I'm seeing this as having potential, just need to sort out the bad stuff and get it fixed. Also I'm going to probably treat this as a 2 3/4" only gun. I don't think I'll be trusting my face to 3" magnum with Chinese steel

• Like 1

Ok I have my first adapter made, no alterations made to the rear mounting block, the adapter is cut from 4140. Weighs about 3+ ounces or so.

Pretty basic machine work. Just got it done half an hour ago..... Beer time biggrin.png

Yes I still need to paint my shotgun.. Just got the paint tonight. The swirling on the receiver is from a hand stone, not from a dremel. Took a couple hours to clean my crappy filler welds to look like something.

post-2952-0-56876200-1394769310_thumb.jpg

Its angled 3 degrees to fix the receiver angle.

post-2952-0-77765500-1394769313_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

How did you do the pistol grip? 

Ok I have my first adapter made, no alterations made to the rear mounting block, the adapter is cut from 4140. Weighs about 3+ ounces or so.

Pretty basic machine work. Just got it done half an hour ago..... Beer time biggrin.png

Yes I still need to paint my shotgun.. Just got the paint tonight. The swirling on the receiver is from a hand stone, not from a dremel. Took a couple hours to clean my crappy filler welds to look like something.

attachicon.gifCIMG1623.JPG

Its angled 3 degrees to fix the receiver angle.

attachicon.gifCIMG1624.JPG

Measured, cut a square hole for an AK grip nut and dropped it in.

The trigger and safety are the hard ones. I had to make a longer leg on the trigger body, to get it within range of the safety. The safety is apparently located further back then a standard AK.

The hammer and hammer spring are also not standard. The hammer is the pivot point for the LRBHO device, and it has a sort of collar cut into it to hold the LRBHO device.

What really needs to happen is for someone to make a modified trigger pack for these.. Sadly that is outside of my ability to make affordable. Mine probably cost $200 to make due to all the shop time. And its not possible to convert these without a welder until someone makes the trigger groups. The safety is not even close to working unless you weld big extensions.

Interesting, Now have you figured out a way how to remove the mag well and make it accept saiga or vepr mags or even standard catamount fury 1 mags? I have tried to remove the mag well and see if it works with out it but it was a epic fail on my part!sleep.png

Edited by Postal456
  • 3 months later...

I guess this will turn this into a Zombie Thread...

In the pictures, there seems to be an unusual AK trigger part in the parts shown. Is that a linkup piece that bridges the gap between the trigger and the hammer?

The trigger on the Fury looks to be set back far like the pre-converted Saiga 12 is. I am not familiar with the triggers for a Saiga 12, but I am somewhat familiar with an AK trigger. Am I right to think that the hammer hits the firing pin in the same place as a regular AK with the trigger linked somehow with a bridge between them being so far apart?

Yeah its similar to the unconverted Saigas. The extra part acts as a linkage. Sadly it seems that the placement is a little off.

I have mine working aside from not feeding from the magazine... Not sure what is happening with it, too busy to work on it for now.

Yeah its similar to the unconverted Saigas. The extra part acts as a linkage. Sadly it seems that the placement is a little off.

I have the Fury 2 coming and have been toying with a conversion. I've combed every Saiga conversion video I could find and the linkages seem to be similar in the fury. It's like a Bullpup in reverse :)

I think I'll wait til the warranty is up which will be around a year. Fortunately, I'm tall so the comically long pull of the Dragonov stock might work for me. How's the unconverted trigger? Horrendous?

Edited by koyotetan
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the fine post and pictures, along with the follow up. I have NOT read the second line of answers. No time. What I do not like is all of the cast parts that appear to be as soft as they could be. Sorry your Cat did not work out for you. I am kinda surprised that such a cheap possibly dangerous shotgun would even be available for sale, but that is just me. HB of CJ (old coot)