Catamount fury tear down and review

Interesting, Now have you figured out a way how to remove the mag well and make it accept saiga or vepr mags or even standard catamount fury 1 mags? I have tried to remove the mag well and see if it works with out it but it was a epic fail on my part!sleep.png

i added a vepr 12 magwell to mine and it worked fairly well. i recently sold the whole thing, so no more real input on my part.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I picked up my cat yesterday evening and fired about 150 rounds through it.50 royal buckshot, 50 federal 7 bird shot, 50 Winchester universal 8 shot the royal and the federal did great the Winchester

I find it rather odd and rather stupid that they redesigned the buttstock attachment. To use anything other than the stock it comes with you would have to replace the trunnion, or wait for proprietar

Posted Images

Just got mine: SN is 018XX.  Wish we had a leger of SNs and expereinces. 
10856649_1098883716793410_69262002140357

I took the risk.  50 rounds later, no deformation of the carrier or other moving parts.  Shoots birdshot and 00 just fine, when you remember unhappy.gif  to change the piston setting.  Will convert.  Anyone used the CSS kit for their conversion?  Along with that, plan to install a normal trunnion so I can run a Magpul stuck on an RD adapter.  I like the line.

Edited by InTTruder
  • 1 month later...

Well.... I'm probably going to get jumped on, but I actually LIKE the Fury. I like it with it's Commie Chinese action... I converted Mine (actually still in progress, stuff is coming in the mail) The only time I had a fail to cycle was My fault for not turning the gas selector from buck shot to birdshot.

My bitch with the weapon, was that horribly long, and stupid looking stock (had the Fury 1) I bought a receiver block, a pig nose adapter, and a pistol grip adapter, and a seriously CHEAP pistol grip (because I'm CHEAP) The latter would probably been a LOT easier to convert if I had spent the $$$ for a nice Hogue  grip.. because I had to do a LOT of Red-Neck reengineering to get it to fit properly. If you look at the photo, you will see that the trigger group is in it's factory position,.. NO adding a $150.00 trigger group, No internal adjustments,. EVERYTHING is stock,.. other than the  aftermarket receiver block. I had to drill & tap the block to accept the pistol grip adapter,  but that was fairly simple.. The whole conversion, with the UTG Mil spec 6 position stock cost me a bit under $140.00 (approximate, and NOT including the vertical grip with green laser, blue light, and tactical flashlight) I'm still adding, the cheek guard and the door breach/muzzle break, and tactical sight,.. but they will be in within the next few days in the mail... Will update the photo when the parts arrive....    Bob

post-50476-0-27294100-1432777019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Red-Neck Engineering

PS: Changing the stock freed up a bit more than 4 inches, even with the Limbsaver slip-on on the back, which turned this shotgun into an absolute Teddy-Bear to operate,.. (26 bucks on Amazon,.. and, because I bought 2,..one for the ole 'Ladies NEF Pardner Protector,.. which is also a Chinese copy of a Remington 870,  FREE shipping!) LOL Also,. I saw this shotgun on sale at Gander Mountain.... I've seen the Saiga, and Vepr  AK-shotguns, but being both CHEAP, AND poor, I didn't see either in my near, or distant future. I thought I'd take a chance and plunk down 500.+ bucks... and I'm REALLY glad I did! I have a custom made AK-shotgun,. that didn't cost me half of what the above-mentioned firearms cost,.. AND don't import anymore. So far,.. I'm all smiles, and keep on adding stuff until I get it just where I want it,.. perhaps I got one that was made between Chinese Holidays, on a Wednesday, when an important dignitary was visiting the factory....

post-50476-0-03213500-1432780152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Demonleather

Everyone seems really down on Chinese stuff... I've heard remarks like" I always thought that  a Chinese Junk was a boat, until I bought Blah blah blah"...Well, I'm here to say that I personally have bought that "Chinese Junk" and in my opinion, it just ain't so. I bought a Norinco pre-ban SKS complete with that funky tri-blade bayonet, brand-new, out of  the box, dirt-cheap way back in 1985. I've heard countless folks put them down, saying "cheap Chinese junk" yet the weapon NEVER let me down. I took the 10 round attached clip off, and went to a 20 round metal clip No problems. The Only time that rifle ever gave me grief, was when I took the 20 round clip off and went to a 30 round AMERICAN made plastic clip. I went back to the 20, and it was like a sewing machine. Over the 14 years I owned it, I bet I put 10,000 rounds through it,. half of that was steel jacketed armor piercing rounds, which rape a barrel bore... yet, when I got rid of it, it would STILL hit a fluorescent lime green tennis ball at 40 yards and make it jump... with just iron sights. EVERYONE has their preferences, and no matter what I say, the will still have their biases. For those that do not,. and would like to upgrade,I'm just offering help to make your weapon better,. and not necessarily Russian..    Bob

We've got a Chinese thrift store down the street from where I live where you can buy things that run twenty bucks st wally world for .99! Most of it is good, but not high quality. I don't however recommend the shaving cream. SUCKS more than anything has ever sucked before.

NO adding a $150.00 trigger group, 

You do know that the overwhelming majority of people who have converted AKs or upgraded standard config models use a trigger group that is nicer and costs $24 USD retail, right? (G2) If you wanted a premium trigger that is about as good as it could get, those are $65. (RSA)

Everyone seems really down on Chinese stuff... I've heard remarks like" I always thought that  a Chinese Junk was a boat, until I bought Blah blah blah"...Well, I'm here to say that I personally have bought that "Chinese Junk" and in my opinion, it just ain't so. I bought a Norinco pre-ban SKS complete with that funky tri-blade bayonet, brand-new, out of  the box, dirt-cheap way back in 1985. I've heard countless folks put them down, saying "cheap Chinese junk" yet the weapon NEVER let me down. I took the 10 round attached clip off, and went to a 20 round metal clip No problems. The Only time that rifle ever gave me grief, was when I took the 20 round clip off and went to a 30 round AMERICAN made plastic clip. I went back to the 20, and it was like a sewing machine. Over the 14 years I owned it, I bet I put 10,000 rounds through it,. half of that was steel jacketed armor piercing rounds, which rape a barrel bore... yet, when I got rid of it, it would STILL hit a fluorescent lime green tennis ball at 40 yards and make it jump... with just iron sights. EVERYONE has their preferences, and no matter what I say, the will still have their biases. For those that do not,. and would like to upgrade,I'm just offering help to make your weapon better,. and not necessarily Russian..    Bob

It's a toss up really.  I've already heard the chi-com Mosins are good and I have a surplus "pre-ban" (It was made in the 1950s and been around many blocks instead of just one.) SKS and it's an excellent shooter.  And then there is the chinese 1887 12 gauges that tend to have problems mechanically.

It just depends on who makes it and if they got it right.

Chinese commercial firearms especially can be hit or miss.

My Norinco DP SKS has some pretty rough machining compared to my Yugo or Russians that I've seen. It would sometimes stovepipe when I first got it, as the follower arm was just a single piece of metal rod that was twisted into shape by what looks like hand tools, then (I assume) tempered and blued. It was done wrong and was causing the follower to tilt. Tweaked it a bit, it was good to go.

I've seen more than a few rough MAK-90s - neighbor at my last house had one that was basically NIB, but it was still a mess. They can be really nice, but Norinco also had bad well-known QC slips, such as quite a few rifles getting dimpled on only one side of the receiver.

Wouldn't call myself an expert, but based on what I've seen of Chinese exports, a lot of them dropped in QC close to the 94 EO - almost like they knew it was coming, and they were cranking every product out as fast as they could.

Edited by mancat
  • 3 months later...

How's the kitty run?

Kit runs flawless! No ftes or ftf. The bolt, interior rail and hammer is polished. It also has the CSS reliability kit with a ported gas block, so I'm getting no issues on any low brass ammo. I also converted the JT recoil spring to fit. The thing is a beast!

• 9 months later...

I picked up my cat yesterday evening and fired about 150 rounds through it.50 royal buckshot, 50 federal 7 bird shot, 50 Winchester universal 8 shot the royal and the federal did great the Winchester ejected two the other 48 basically re chambered the empty shells. the gun itself seems pretty nice but i don't have a s12 or vepr to compare it to nor have i shot either one so i cant compare.the finish is okay but my s308 has a nicer finish.I think it would be easy to convert it to a pistol grip i am not sure what you could use for a new buttstock with out having standard ak tang. I complete tear down and took allot of pictures.the one thing that i am very disappointed in is that it says on the barrel lead shot only.When i ordered this i read the century and centerfire website and their was no mention of this anywhere i don't know why it cant shoot steel shot and i feel like century hid that little detail.maybe it can shoot steel with certain precautions.overall I am medium satisfied if that makes sense.

Thanks for this! 

For those who are lazy clicking on the link.

IMG_20150925_181636_zpsvzsy1xxy.jpg

Thors Hammer lol!!!!!!!