Factory 10rd Mag problems

So I took the plunge and bought a Tooth and Nail AR-12/ MKA 1919. I just picked it up today and I'll say that it is pretty sweet. I have to give them a call tomorrow, but I have a couple of questions regarding the mags; specifically the 10rd mags.

- Only one of my mags drops free on its own. It is a ten round mag, but I have 2 regular 5rd mags and (2) 10rd mags that won't drop free.

- Only (1) of my 3 10rd magazines will stay inserted. Of the other two, one I have to slam in to get it to engage and stay. The other one, the magazine won't fully engage and won't stay in at all no matter what I do.

I still have to take it out to the range, but those were just the first initial things that caught my attention when playing with it. Any insight reagarding fixes to these problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zog

I received a 10 rounder a week ago that would barely engage and would fall out after the first shot. I found a small burr in the notch that the magazine catch engages in. I removed the burr and it works great now.

I received a 10 rounder a week ago that would barely engage and would fall out after the first shot. I found a small burr in the notch that the magazine catch engages in. I removed the burr and it works great now.

why don;t you file the magazines catch hole on the mags (the top side closest to the feedlips) File it little by little until

the mag release button is as easy to push in to release as the other mags that are working properly...I wouldnt worry

about the mags dropping free on empty as they will with time..

2013-02-24182502_zpse916f173-1_zps7d25bc

Edited by duggr
  • Like 1

Otlahurst, is the bur where duggr is showing in his pics? Either way, hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to tinker around with it. Thank you for the quick replies guys!

Duggr, on a side note, how do you like the Salem 6 conversions vs the factory 10? I'm thinking about picking up a couple to upgrade the 5rdrs that came with the shotgun.

Zog

MKA mags seem to always need some "Fine Tuning" of some sort.. But once you get the right ammo

and the mags tuned properly it runs like a champ....Also! Make sure the ammo you use has a hard

casing....I like the Green Remington casing...Check out a few different shells when your buying by taking

your thumb and pressing on the shell casing. You will notice some are harder than others and selecting

the harder casing will help in the feeding and loading a shell as well.....

Zog

The salem 6 mag extention for the stock 5 rnd mags works perfectly...Make sure you get the replacement

spring they sell as well....If you buy them I can show you the quickest way to get them going....The salem six

mag extension seems to be less prone to trouble compared to the factory ten round mag...at least for me they do...

Plus we have the option to return it back to a 5 round mag if you choose!!

(Keep all the old parts to the 5 round mags)

Edited by duggr

Some factory MKA mags definitely need "tuning" to work correctly. Two of my 5 round and two of my ten rounder mags either do not engage the catch, or stick in the magwell and I wind up pushing them up too far just slightly, and they need to be pulled out with a healthy tug. Since I'm on the Firebird lower list. I'm not going to do anything to them until I get the lower.

Duggr,

How much would you say you had to file to get them to work? I got one of the problem mags to engage finally, but not the other one. I just don't want to file it too much. I've been sanding the polymer part of the mag down too since it seems like it's right on the mag well.

Duggr,

How much would you say you had to file to get them to work? I got one of the problem mags to engage finally, but not the other one. I just don't want to file it too much. I've been sanding the polymer part of the mag down too since it seems like it's right on the mag well.

Zog,

I've never had a problem mag...But if your mag is a standard 5 rnd mag you should file the area that I posted above. File the area of the mag until

it engages the mag catch on the lower receiver and locks in correctly....Now if it's a Factory ten round mag and it's not locking into the lower you have

to see if the polymer on the mag is contacting the lower and not allowing the mag to enter in the magwel to lock in,if so you should trim the polymer for the correct clearance.. the ten rnd mags could possibly need both of the mods described above. Hope this helps!

JP I'll try to get to it this weekend....The Mississippi is past flood stage here in Illinois...Hope i wont have to sandbag...I had enough of that

Jp

been a busy weekend sandbagging. Will try to get the measurements ASAP!

Different problem on my factory 10 round I just took it out to the range to try and it would put the lip of the round high enough to chamber...just stuc there so I had to remove the mag...kinda frustrating on a mag that's brand new...any thoughts?

"wouldn't put the lip high enough" that should say above...

Different problem on my factory 10 round I just took it out to the range to try and it would put the lip of the round high enough to chamber...just stuc there so I had to remove the mag...kinda frustrating on a mag that's brand new...any thoughts?

shotgun-shell.gif

I presume by "the lip" you mean the rim. Do you mean the rounds aren't being stripped out of the magazine when the bolt closes because the back of the shell isn't high enough? From your description, I'm also not clear if you mean the front of the shell (if that's the part you meant by "the lip") isn't angled high enough and it's getting caught and jamming when you try to close the bolt. A picture or two of the loaded magazine would help but, from your description, it sounds like your feed lips need adjusted a bit. Without a picture, though, telling you what needs to be done and to where (along the feed lips) would just be a guess. You could open them up by expanding the lips, but you don't want to make any modifications that will make the feed angle worse. Can you post a picture or two? I'm sure others will chime in to help you, here, too.

Edited by Hunter308
  • Like 2

blink.png huh

• 2 weeks later...

Duggr,

Was wondering if I could get the width and thickness of the salem 6 extensions? I'm thinking about trying to make my own couplers

sorry took so long JP...Best I can do...Duggr

2013-04-27194522_zps5bbe31d7.jpg2013-04-27194942_zps4e7f4856.jpg2013-04-27194918_zps68cc91ca.jpg2013-04-27194749_zps90b27e7d.jpg2013-04-27195113_zps08a8d96c.jpg2013-04-27195041_zpsddc83961.jpg2013-04-27195547_zpsd24eca96.jpg2013-04-27195523_zps4f354163.jpg2013-04-27195502_zps7ac3208a.jpg2013-04-27195616_zps7e15592d.jpg2013-04-27195802_zps3c1d149b.jpg

• 1 year later...

I got a new 10 rounder also that wouldn't stay in the well at all.  i called Centerfire systems to see about it. they said to file the top of the feed lips down some.  i tried that, no luck at all.  i then tried filing some out of the hole in the side, and polished burrs a bit.  no lucky.  i then filed the top lip of the polymer back about 1/16 inch or so.  that was the trick to this one.  it was keeping the mag from going up far enough in the well to lock in.  seems like there are a few possible fit areas that should be looked at on these.  have yet to shoot it to make sure it handles shock but i can't pull it out by hand at least!