VIDEO: Plastic Muzzle Brake for Saiga-12?!?!

looks pretty cool so far from point your at you could tweek the design here and there and call it your own.

say put a door breecher at tip or some holes or flutes etc.... then if you were to produce them would not have patent infringement...

even at that point you could combine with barrel shroud for one piece unit

I like the idea. I'm an engineer by trade, and all to often people underestimate the ability of structural plastics in abusive environments.

I don't know a lot about Delrin other then many of my custom hand calls are turned from it. I believe it's easy to machine because its a thermalset polymer and doesn't revert due to tooling heat.

The advantage a polymer will have in an application like a muzzle break is the materials high tensile elongation to yield. It may deform during the pressure release due to its low elastic modulus, but it'll likely retain its shape. Not sure how it will fatigue over multiple cycles, that really depends on how much elongation it sees.

If the Delrin fails, don't abandon plastics all together. There are some incredible tough structural nylons on the market available in billets as well.

It'll never be as "strong", but it may be as "tough" as metallic breaks, if that makes any sense.

Just an FYI, plastics hate stress risers, sharp corners are your enemy, do your best to round cutter paths in corners and utilize hemispherical end mills where possible on plunge cuts.

• Like 4

Awesome exercise in machining, it will be interesting to see how well the Delrin holds up. It is also awesome that Carolina Shooter Supply sent you a threaded insert to use in a copy of brake that they sell. Maybe you can use some high speed photography to see what kind of flexing and distortion the plastic version goes through while firing. With some lines and dots painted on the brake it may show the effects of the shock wave as the high pressure gasses follow the projectile through it.

• Like 1
I was just showing my smoking hot fiancee some of your vids and she she asked why you didn't just have a Saiga AS your arm? It was awsome. You really rule brother!

LMFAO.....to have my Saiga-12 as my arm would be pretty awesome........your smoking hot fiancee should be in a "Hotties with Shotties" video! lol

• Like 1

I'm glad to see you're still making progress, seems your learning a great deal that's applying to your future career as well. Nothing better then a project that tests your skills, teaches you a thing or two, and gives you enjoyment/satisfaction in the process. Anxious to see how this progresses.

...and I second Jeremiah's soon wife to be cast in the 'Hotties with Shotties' vid. ;)

• Like 2
I'm glad to see you're still making progress, seems your learning a great deal that's applying to your future career as well. Nothing better then a project that tests your skills, teaches you a thing or two, and gives you enjoyment/satisfaction in the process. Anxious to see how this progresses.

...and I second Jeremiah's soon wife to be cast in the 'Hotties with Shotties' vid. wink.png

Boy am I learning A LOT..lol I think Ive learned more with this project then any other project Ive done!

I can see the advantage where weight is concerned.

Yeah but the big question is how long will it last? lol

Like I said in the other thread you are going to be surprized at how well it does.

I would not worry about making a metal threaded insert. I would screw the delrin directly onto the barrel. I use hand taps to thread mine and when using delrin it makes for a very nice, tight fit.

Edited by dolomite_supafly
Like I said in the other thread you are going to be surprized at how well it does.

I would not worry about making a metal threaded insert. I would screw the delrin directly onto the barrel. I use hand taps to thread mine and when using delrin it makes for a very nice, tight fit.

Well seeing as I cant take my Saiga-12 to school to test fit my threads the threaded insert is a great option lol.

So when do we get to see the final product??? I am interested on how it holds up myself, questionable durability issues as it being a little thin.. But sweet so far, Im a machinist myself and do like what you have done, just ready to see how she rocks.. Anyhow, cool videos man.. Im actually in the process of trying to sale off my tromix monster break so I can buy a Molot GK-01 from CSS myself.. Another note.. I thought the russian molot is made of FORGED Aluminum while the CSS is billet aluminum with a hard coating for protection?? Thanks and love the work

• Like 1
So when do we get to see the final product??? I am interested on how it holds up myself, questionable durability issues as it being a little thin.. But sweet so far, Im a machinist myself and do like what you have done, just ready to see how she rocks.. Anyhow, cool videos man.. Im actually in the process of trying to sale off my tromix monster break so I can buy a Molot GK-01 from CSS myself.. Another note.. I thought the russian molot is made of FORGED Aluminum while the CSS is billet aluminum with a hard coating for protection?? Thanks and love the work

You'll get to see the final brake soon. I should have a couple brakes done this week.

Here's some pictures of the 90% completed brakes. I'll make some with gills and baffles and some with just baffles.

This black one is made put of the Delrin/acetal...

post-34773-0-05033800-1367888818_thumb.jpg

This one is made of high density polypropylene....

post-34773-0-54361000-1367888831_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome, it will be very interesting to see how they function. They may just suprise everyone, I have seen how delrin lasts MUCH longer than steel or brass as a splined sleeve in variable speed pulleys used in milling machines. It seems that the flex that the plastic has allows it to take a LOT more abuse than the metals when starting and stoping a lot or even worse reversing the motor when tapping. I have seen the pulleys with metals sleeves fail in as little as 6 months where the delrin lasts for many years (approximately 5-10) even under heavy use and abuse!

This is awesome. I have been a fan of Delrin for at least 20 years now and have used it in so many engineering applications that I can't even count them all at this point. My only concern will be the effects of the heat from repeated mag dumps, but other than that, I don't see it faring any worse than aluminum. Very cool project, and it's awesome to see CSS helping out with the inserts.

Congrats on your continued journey of learning machining. Making one of these out of plastic especially delrin is going to get you seriously injured! Delrin can shatter like glass, if you try this have a lot of protection on your, well, everything! Your copy looks really close as far as wall thickness to the others. Plastic can be used in many application where metal is use, such as wear surfaces, but plastic is not a good substitute for high pressure areas and brittle plastic at that. Think outside the box, don't put yourself in one.

• Like 2

Congrats on your continued journey of learning machining. Making one of these out of plastic especially delrin is going to get you seriously injured! Delrin can shatter like glass, if you try this have a lot of protection on your, well, everything! Your copy looks really close as far as wall thickness to the others. Plastic can be used in many application where metal is use, such as wear surfaces, but plastic is not a good substitute for high pressure areas and brittle plastic at that. Think outside the box, don't put yourself in one.

Thanks on the congrats and this experiment has been very fun. Ive learned so much doing this all on my own. I know about how Delrin shatters and we will shoot it off my rest using a hydraulic trigger. I also have test brakes made of high density and low density polyethylene that I will be testing and a member here is kind enough to be sending me some Torlon to machine into a brake......remember this is a little experiment just to see if it could work.

Very nice skills you got there!!! I would like to see a copy of this brake or even a saiga 12 copy of a 50cal barett muzzle brake (like the mossberg road buster) as a barrel shroud. That would mean its threaded right at the end instead of the front and would slip over the barrel hidding 3-4" inches off the tip and im sure it would still help with muzzle climb. Sure you dont get the kool muzzle flash effect from the ports but it would look like you have a SBS barrel with muzzle brake. Im still looking for something like that

Keep up thje good work!!

I know I read about the member here sending you a different stock to use for a break. I'm curious if it would work as a short flash hider that is made. I like breaks but I'd like to keep my s12 shorter if I can.

I'll also volunteer to test them out for ya as well.

Edited by montec