All purpose flashlight thread

Well since we finally have some more space opened up for some long awaited subject matter, lets look into some flashlights. I feel these little fuckers have many great uses for EDC, as well as SHTF. I have taken a liking to having mine with me everyday. Its good to be able to shine a little light on the subject.

Heres mine.

Its a Surefire LX2 Lumamax and is dual output.

200 lumens on high for 2 hours, or 15 lumens on low for 36 hrs.

post-32793-0-94281600-1366400383_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-02933500-1366400398_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-48898900-1366400418_thumb.jpg

Whats in your loadout?

Edited by Captain Hero

GUYS,

FROM BATTERY JUNCTION, THE OLIGHT M20-X WARRIOR, LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH-AND STROBE, $89.95.

500 LUMENS ON EITHER HI OR STROBE, 1.5 AND 3.0HRS RESPECTIVELY.

100 LUMENS ON MEDIUM FOR 5HRS.

19 LUMENS ON LOW FOR 85HRS.

END BUTTON IS MOMENTARY OR FULL-ON.

SIDE BUTTON ON TAILCAP IS FOR STROBE.

YOU CAN TRANSFER STROBE CONTROL TO END BUTTON BY: WITH LIGHT ON HIGH, PRESS AND HOLD SIDE BUTTON DOWN, UNTIL LIGHT BEGINS TO STROBE, TURN LIGHT OFF WITH TAIL SWITCH, THEN DOUBLE CHECK BY PRESS OF TAIL SWITCH TO INSURE STROBE CONTROL HAS TRANSFERRED. YOU CAN NOW STROBE ON EITHER MOMENTARY OR FULL-ON. REVERSE TO REVERT.

SAME FUNCTIONS AVAILABLE WITH THE TAPE SWITCH.

HAVE ITS PREVIOUS GEN LI'L BROTHER (SAME DIMENSIONS BUT 340 LUMENS) ON AN AK.

CHECK OUT KREBS CUSTOM #9 GRIP ADAPTER, COMBINED WITH THEIR #12 VLTOR SCOUT FLASHLIGHT MOUNT, FOR HOW TO DO IT. I USE THE SOG GRAPHITE GRIP.

I POSITION THE SIDE BUTTON TO FACE 9:00, SO THAT I MAY HAVE INSTANT ACCESS TO THE STROBE FUNCTION WITH A PRESS FROM THE SIDE OF MY THUMB, BUT STILL WANT TO MAINTAIN THE NON-STROBE MOMENTARY OR FULL-ON.

WITH ALL OF THAT MOUNTED ON THE 9:00 RAIL, IT LEAVES THE 6:00 RAIL OPEN FOR A GREEN LASER, SO WHILE MAINTAINING YOUR GRIP ON THE SOG VERTICAL GRIP, YOU CAN MOVE YOUR THUMB SMOOTHLY BETWEEN 9:00 AND 6:00 TO ACTIVATE EITHER/BOTH.

I RECOMMEND THE 18650 RECHARGEABLE BATTS, AS THEY BURN LONGER AND BRIGHTER THAN 2 OF THE 123 CELLS.

GET THE WF-139 BATTERY CHARGER FROM BATTERY JUNCTION, ALONG WITH ITS CAR CHARGER CORD AND THE 3400mAh AW BRAND BATTS FROM LIGHTHOUND.

USING THE RECHARGEABLES, YOU WILL PRETTY SHORTLY PAY FOR THE LIGHT, CHARGER, AND BATTS. IN MONEY SAVED OVER USING ONE-TIME PRIMARY CELLS.

DO NOT-DO NOT-DO NOT USE THESE RECHARGEABLES, EITHER THE 18650's OR THE RCR-123's, IN A LIGHT WITH AN INCANDESCENT BULB, AS THE HIGHER mAh's WILL VAPORIZE THE FILAMENT INSTANTLY.

JESS1344

post-45478-0-19999500-1366405530_thumb.jpg

How does it hold up through hard use? Only reason I ask is that Ive dropped my Surefire from 12ft step ladders, in puddles of water while lit and banged the shit out of it while in my pockets against hard surfaces and Im yet to make it fail.

Mine uses LED's with a TIR lens for great tight beam focus and still gives enough for peripheral vision. I like the tactical tailcap switch as well. No need to cycle through shit. Momentary pressure puts the light on low, more pressure puts it on high. Rotate the tailcap clockwise enough and you get constant on in the low setting, and rotate further and its constant on in high.

I know there are lots of great lights other than Surefire, and thats what Im hoping to have others share. But for what its worth, Surefire is hard to beat. You will pay more, but if you shop around you can find them for much less than the MSRP, and still get a great light with an excellent warranty IMO.

Thanks for sharing JESS.

Come to think of it, anyone use any of the Nitecore or Lens Light products?

CAPT.

IT'S BEEN MY EVERY DAY CARRY FOR ABOUT 2 1/2YRS; IF I HAVE PANTS ON, IT'S ON MY BELT, IF I'M IN THE SHOWER OR ASLEEP, IT'S ONLY A REACH AWAY (ALONG WITH THE GLOCK).

BEEN SUBJECTED TO LOTS OF BUMPS AND KNOCKS, AND HAS NEVER HALF-STEPPED.

THAT'S THE PART I FORGOT, GETTING THE DIFFERENT LEVELS; WITH THE LIGHT FULL-ON, USE THE SIDE BUTTON TO SCROLL THROUGH THE LEVELS, LOW-MEDIUM-AND HIGH, LEAVING IT ON YOUR PREFERRED LEVEL, AND TURNING IT OFF. WHEN YOU USE THE TAILCAP SWITCH AGAIN, EITHER MOMENTARY OR FULL, IT WILL BE AT THAT LEVEL.

I LEAVE MINE ON HIGH, JUST IN CASE I NEED TO FRY SOMEBODY'S RETINAS, ON SHORT NOTICE. IF I NEED STROBE, IT'S INSTANTLY AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SIDE BUTTON.

JESS1344

• Like 1
3728547-21.jpg Flashlights; Type: Penlight; Body Type: Aluminum; Bulb Type: LED; Rechargeable (Yes/No): No; Battery Size: AAA; Maximum Light Output (Lumens): 28.00 Type: Penlight Power Source: Disposable Battery Battery Type: AAA Number of Batteries: 1 Color: Black Length (Inch): 3-1/2 Length (Decimal Inch): 3.5000" Material: Aluminum Trade Name: MicroStream Style: LED Flashlight Batteries Included (Y/N): Yes Bulb Type: LED Lumens: 20 LED Bulb Color: White Weather Features: Water Resistant Run Time: 1.5 Hrs. Supplied With: Alkaline Batteries Approval Listing/Regulations: CE JWOD: No Manufacturer Part Number: 66318

Model #327-7074 Low Price: $24.01 ea

Bought several of these and given a few to friends. Best part is they are bright and use just 1 AAA. They come with a lanyard that you can wear around your neck. You really can´t go wrong with Streamlight, but they can be pricey.

post-8235-0-55307900-1366469963.jpg

• Like 2

I've got a bunch of Surefire stuff, incandescent and LED. The only thing I don't like is that CR123 batteries don't give you any warning before going tits up. I have a Pelican LED in my Jeep that is equal to Surefire's comparable light.

• Like 1

Fenix R4 100-240 lumens off one 123, got it for $30 shipped, if you don't know about Fenix, they are killer quality. Litttttttle tiny flashlight that puts out like the sun. <--- currently carry this little guy

I've got a Fenix TK40 (amazon had a sale got it for $110 shipped) 860 Lumens off of 8 AAs, I use eneloop rechargeable batteries, this light rocks.

Fenix TA-21 it's got tons of functions strobe all that tacticool shit, crenelated bezel

I've got a SF M6 Gaurdian, amazing light, it was 500 Lumens off a wire bulb, now 900 with an LED convo and tons of battery life.

SF 9P with an LED convo outputs 450 lumens

SF EL 105 lumens, small fits in a suit well going to convert the head to a new LED eventually

I have the Inova floods in all the colors including UV. A few various ones.

SF IR model for NV

That's all I can remember off hand, I used to sell this stuff, I've got a small duffle bag full of lights. lol

I've got a Cyclops converted to an 85 watt HID that blows itself up. It should output about 9000 lumens or so, custom hammered the reflector to be an orange peel, right now it's in pieces. This was the field party light.

Fenix R4 100-240 lumens off one 123, got it for $30 shipped, if you don't know about Fenix, they are killer quality. Litttttttle tiny flashlight that puts out like the sun. <--- currently carry this little guy

I've got a Fenix TK40 (amazon had a sale got it for $110 shipped) 860 Lumens off of 8 AAs, I use eneloop rechargeable batteries, this light rocks.

Fenix TA-21 it's got tons of functions strobe all that tacticool shit, crenelated bezel

I've got a SF M6 Gaurdian, amazing light, it was 500 Lumens off a wire bulb, now 900 with an LED convo and tons of battery life.

SF 9P with an LED convo outputs 450 lumens

SF EL 105 lumens, small fits in a suit well going to convert the head to a new LED eventually

I have the Inova floods in all the colors including UV. A few various ones.

SF IR model for NV

That's all I can remember off hand, I used to sell this stuff, I've got a small duffle bag full of lights. lol

I've got a Cyclops converted to an 85 watt HID that blows itself up. It should output about 9000 lumens or so, custom hammered the reflector to be an orange peel, right now it's in pieces. This was the field party light.

Can you start fires with that thing? lol, there are alot of vids on the candle power forum of guys starting fires with their supercharged maglites...lots of fun to watch.

To the OT, I've got an Olight T-10 and a T-20 that I've had and carried daily for 5 and 4 years, respectively. Both of them show alot of wear and abuse, neither has shown any desire to give up the ghost.

Yes that Cyclops will start a fire, hell the whole thing is a fire because the circuit, this is an old incandescent Cyclops I converted, and burned the stock circuit, the replacements I got are all wrong, so I have to go back to the drawing board.

I've got a bunch of Surefire stuff, incandescent and LED. The only thing I don't like is that CR123 batteries don't give you any warning before going tits up. I have a Pelican LED in my Jeep that is equal to Surefire's comparable light.

That is about the only thing I can say that is a drawback as well. But I have noticed that they go strong, even when the batteries are on the weak side. I was actually surprised. I havent tried the Pelican.

Im actually considering looking into one of the Lens Light products. This one actually.

http://lens-light.com/store/products/LensLight-K.O.-Ti-DigiCam.html

The only thing I dont like about it, is that it doesnt appear to be a true tactical tailcap switch.

Edited by Captain Hero

it looks like a standard diameter body and if they are any good they use a similar thread to surefire or one of the other decent lights in which case you can test that by trying a clickie cap on it.

I wish they had a picture of the threads I could tell you what would word I bet. (I'm a recovering flash-o-holic)

it looks like a standard diameter body and if they are any good they use a similar thread to surefire or one of the other decent lights in which case you can test that by trying a clickie cap on it.

I wish they had a picture of the threads I could tell you what would word I bet. (I'm a recovering flash-o-holic)

I shot them an email, so I hope that they do respond. But I dont know if it would work on it or not.

I shot them an email, so I hope that they do respond. But I dont know if it would work on it or not.

I've found that the threads on decent brands are all usually the same. I've got surefire caps on inovas and Fenix's, I also have a fenix cap on my surefire (surefire was out)

Just be careful when trying to interchange parts

• Like 1

GUYS,

TRY THE AW BRAND RECHARGEABLES IN RCR123 FOR LONGER RUN TIME THAN THE USE ONCE PRIMARY 123'S.

IF YOUR LIGHT WILL TAKE THE 18650'S, AW MAKES 3400mAh 18650'S.

YOU CAN CHECK OUT LIGHTHOUND FOR BOTH, PLUS THEY HAVE OR CAN MAKE ON/OFF SWITCHES TO WHATEVER CONFIGURATION YOU NEED.

JESS1344

I'm going to cheap out but I have a story about this light. I keep a cheap pen light for work use. I change a lot of oil in vaccum pumps. Well the oil is always nasty, monomer, acids, and dye as well as water in it, I dropped this light while on into a bucket of oil that was about 160* F. I figured I was out three bucks, as I poured the oil in the waste drum I saw the light was still on! I've killed about three batteries since this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VK6ZGM

• Like 1

I like the Fenix lights. I have the following Left to Right:

TK75 2600 lumens - 3ea

TK70 2200 lumens - 1ea

TK35 860 lumens - 5ea

TK22 650 lumens - 1ea

All of these lights have four power settings.

You can get them from Fenix Outfitters which is about 100 yards away from where the original Tromix shop was located in Broken Arrow, OK. Great group of guys. The owner has an 8" Tromix S-17 SBS.

Tony

P.S. I should have an RC40 early next week which puts out 3500 lumens.

post-1323-0-42856900-1366999837_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ya Fenix is one that I pressured the owner of the company I worked for to get and never regretted. They responded well to feedback for the CandlePower Forums users and made early changes, support rechargeable cells and a lot of their lights have replaceable and serviceable bulb heads which is one important feature to me.

Tony how do you like the TK22? The button on them hold up well over time? I like my TA21, but the function wheel is starting to show wear (from getting turned back and forth while walking I'm thinking), makes me really wish they used the magnetic control like jet beam. I have to send it out for replacement I'm thinking.

As far as Chinese lights that are good with a great warranty program and abuse taking the top 3 are, in no order, JETBeam, Fenix, and O-Light. I believe WiseLED is Chinese also, but they are in the Surefire class and price mark for good reason

The TK22 is the one light that rarely gets used so I really don't know how well it will hold up. It does have springs on both ends of the battery, which I understand is required in order to hold up to weapon recoil. However, I prefer the larger TK35 for all around use. They have held up fine, but I don't really like the power setting button in the end cap. When I need to light up the yard (5 acres) I will grab one of the TK75's or the TK70. The 75's throw a more flood-like beam, whereas the TK70 is more like an old school Q-beam (tighter focus). Both work fine for vehicle use, but I would not want to pack either of them around on a daily basis.

Tony

• Like 1

Ya I have smaller lights for EDC over my M6 or TK40.

I've got LED outdoor flood lights they are amazing, it's like a pure white set of street lights, put two more up in the backyard, they are great. I do still have my lights for scanning farther out, but it's nice having the stationary ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I added a new member to the family a "used" but unopened surefire x300u-a 500 lumen light, put it on my krinkov. Damn it is nice...

Scored of a local forum for $100 in traded items

Thats going to be my next purchase. Im going to put my standard x300 on my G17 and put the ultra on my G21.

I like the Pelican LEDs. I have one of the 3c models that has been dropped out of too many tree stands to count. Plus as long as they are on I have been able to find them when they "jump" out of the boat. They have great customer service. I dropped one and it busted the clip all to hell...light still worked. I called them about buying a replacement part and they replaced the entire thing for free.

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • 7 months later...

I got a $100 Amazon Gift Card from my dear sister for Christmas.  After considering getting a $50 flashlight and a ruck/bag of some sort I decided to go ahead and spend it all on a flashlight.  I think I prefer a rechargeable and with all the different "bundles" it took some time to narrow it down.

So I'm thinking this guy, thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR3WA0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QOGI25MFZFSC&coliid=I1SP2QESH0JGRB

I got a $100 Amazon Gift Card from my dear sister for Christmas.  After considering getting a $50 flashlight and a ruck/bag of some sort I decided to go ahead and spend it all on a flashlight.  I think I prefer a rechargeable and with all the different "bundles" it took some time to narrow it down.

So I'm thinking this guy, thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR3WA0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QOGI25MFZFSC&coliid=I1SP2QESH0JGRB

That flashlight is great, it was #2 on my list of favorites. I actually went with the Olight Warrior M22, reason being it has a larger heatsink and therefor can stay in "High" mode longer, and is 960 lumens. The Cree XM-U2 is the best LED out there right now. In case you didn't know, no LED driven flashlight will "run" on high for the given battery life, its usually an average of about 30 seconds to 5 minutes before it steps itself down to medium due to over heating. The PD35 is ~5 mins, the M22 is ~7 mins before step down.