All purpose flashlight thread

That flashlight is great, it was #2 on my list of favorites. I actually went with the Olight Warrior M22, reason being it has a larger heatsink and therefor can stay in "High" mode longer, and is 960 lumens. The Cree XM-U2 is the best LED out there right now. In case you didn't know, no LED driven flashlight will "run" on high for the given battery life, its usually an average of about 30 seconds to 5 minutes before it steps itself down to medium due to over heating. The PD35 is ~5 mins, the M22 is ~7 mins before step down.

Alrighty then, after researching Conscript's recommendation I ordered this;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1JLVVA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I'll be happy with it.

I'm with Fordguy on the mini Streamlight. I've EDC'd it for 3 years now and only recently did the rubber button cap come off. Still usable, just trying not to drop in a water bucket.

I've also recently picked up on of these.... https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=174&cid=29

But will likely mount on my BRPK.

I have two Microstreams as well. Love them.

While many here have bags of top notch flashlights I have to say I didn't have one....just the normal two D cell POSs and some $5 Flea Market LEDs.  So I'm long past due getting a good one.  And I'll probably end up getting at least one other "smaller" one now that I know a little more about them.

Got the M22 in today.  I have no basis for comparison since this is my first higher end light but I like how it works.  The Fenix PD35 has 5 power settings and this one only has 3 but I can't really imagine the 2 extra settings being of that much use.  Also test fitted on both my S-12s....on the low rail On/Off is easy with my index finger while gripping the AFG.

And true to form I'm already thinking about getting another light of some sort.  I think I'll stick with something (standardize) that uses 1 18650 cell, something around $50.

ADD:  Anyone have any brand recommendations with regard to 18650 (3400mAh) batteries, Nitecore, Fenix etc.?

Also, what are the practical uses of Red, Blue and Green filters?

Edited by Squishy

Got the M22 in today.  I have no basis for comparison since this is my first higher end light but I like how it works.  The Fenix PD35 has 5 power settings and this one only has 3 but I can't really imagine the 2 extra settings being of that much use.  Also test fitted on both my S-12s....on the low rail On/Off is easy with my index finger while gripping the AFG.

And true to form I'm already thinking about getting another light of some sort.  I think I'll stick with something (standardize) that uses 1 18650 cell, something around $50.

ADD:  Anyone have any brand recommendations with regard to 18650 (3400mAh) batteries, Nitecore, Fenix etc.?

Also, what are the practical uses of Red, Blue and Green filters?

Did that kit come with a pressure switch? I didn't see one on the listing.

I can't really recommend one for about $50, just whatever you do stay away from Ultrafire/Trustfire brand. Any major brand would do well, Olight, Fenix, Nitecore, Surefire (I think surefires are overrated personally and overstate lumens) Just make sure it's 18650 with the Cree LED and watertight and you'll be fine.

Maybe consider a more floody light since the M22 is a long distance thrower and you'll have one of each.

Colored lenses are typically for signaling, so useless in most applications. In the army some used the red lens to read maps, but I always thought this was stupid since mil maps have green and red features. Someone can probably prove me wrong or tell me why though.

I might just snag another M22.  They're on eBay for $65-$70 with no batteries/charger, just the basic setup.  No pressure switch in the setup I got, not sure it would be of use to me, like I said, I can work the rear switch with my finger.

Fuck man, now you've got me looking at another one for no reason.

I'd never had a flashlight on either of my S-12s but after putting the M22 on them and trying it out I think I'd like to have one on each all the time. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251377563837?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

But I don't think the lights necessarily need have a list of features like a carry light.  On the other side of it I'm wondering about some of the 2,000+ lumen egg cookers out there but I think I'll be able to resist getting one...especially since they go for $200-300.

Edited by Squishy

SQUISHY,

I'VE USED AW BRAND LI-ION'S FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

LIGHTHOUND.COM HAS AW 3400MAH BATTERIES FOR $21.50 EA. AND THE SAME BATTERY CHARGER I USE, THE ULTRAFIRE WF-139 FOR $17.99 AND THE CAR CHARGER CORD IS ANOTHER $3.00.

ALSO, IF YOU WANT TO CHARGE RCR123'S IN THAT CHARGER, YOU'LL NEED TWO SPACERS AT $2.25EA.

THE RED FILTERS ARE TO PRESERVE NIGHT VISION, PLUS, SOME ANIMALS HAVE A HARD TIME SEEING RED FREQUENCY LIGHT.

GREEN IS MORE FOR HUNTING, AS A WIDER VARIETY OF ANIMALS CAN'T SEE GREEN LIGHT, AS OPPOSED TO RED, OR SO I'M TOLD.

BLUE IS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR TRACKING WOUNDED ANIMALS AT NIGHT, AS THE BLUE LIGHT IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE BLOOD APPEAR BLACK ON FOLIAGE OR WHATEVER IT'S ON.

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY COLORED FILTERS TO FIT THE LARGER HEAD OF THE M22, THOUGH PERHAPS YOU HAVE.

NEITHER THE 500 LUMEN M20-X THAT I CARRY, NOR YOUR M22 WILL DROP DOWN TO A LOWER LEVEL AFTER A FEW MINUTES, AS I THINK SOMEONE SAID EARLIER, THOUGH THE OLDER 600 LUMEN VERSION OF THE M21 WITH THE XM-L LED WOULD.

OLIGHT FIXED THAT WITH AN UPGRADED LED, THE XM-L2, THAT NOW RUNS AT 750 LUMENS FOR THE FULL 1.5HRS.

YOU CAN GO TO BATTERYJUNCTION.COM AND CHECK THE SPECS.

JESS1344

"GREEN IS MORE FOR HUNTING, AS A WIDER VARIETY OF ANIMALS CAN'T SEE GREEN LIGHT, AS OPPOSED TO RED, OR SO I'M TOLD."

I've heard that as well, but our kitten loves chasing the bright green ball up, down and around our walls, lol.

Edited by BpS12
NEITHER THE 500 LUMEN M20-X THAT I CARRY, NOR YOUR M22 WILL DROP DOWN TO A LOWER LEVEL AFTER A FEW MINUTES, AS I THINK SOMEONE SAID EARLIER, THOUGH THE OLDER 600 LUMEN VERSION OF THE M21 WITH THE XM-L LED WOULD.

OLIGHT FIXED THAT WITH AN UPGRADED LED, THE XM-L2, THAT NOW RUNS AT 750 LUMENS FOR THE FULL 1.5HRS.

YOU CAN GO TO BATTERYJUNCTION.COM AND CHECK THE SPECS.

JESS1344

This is incorrect, in 2 ways. ALL production LED flashlights have a step down circuit once they get into the higher lumens ~300+. It's just the way it is, unless you are running a heatsink fan or liquid nitrogen. The heat will destroy it.

ALL the Olight M-series have a step down circuit, as verified by testers and the manufacturer. There is a variable in production bin LEDS but as I tested mine it averaged 7-8mins to step down completely, which was pretty much in line with what others had found:

TjMGjCol.jpg

It's not going to just go NOPE, BLINK. It will gradually lose intensity over about 2 mins. They have a heatsink as the only form of cooling, a modern LED throwing 960 lumens for 1.5hrs (if the components inside did not turn into a mass of molten silicon and aluminum) would fry hashbrowns.

603664244_1353469507.jpg

• Like 2