Molot factory mags

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AZG" data-cid="892482" data-time="1366405512"><p>

not exactly sure vepr 12 mags work in saiga's with magwell's. Mine do not. vice versa though </p></blockquote>

My 030 runs them fine. I call bs.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Person Dog" data-cid="892487" data-time="1366405795"><p>

My bad. I thought they did. Rusmilitary website says they do.</p></blockquote>

Ignore the nay sayers, they're full of it. Just requires a tiny bit of fitment (even my factory mags did!)

not exactly sure vepr 12 mags work in saiga's with magwell's. Mine do not. vice versa though

My 030 runs them fine. I call bs.

My bad. I thought they did. Rusmilitary website says they do.

Ignore the nay sayers, they're full of it. Just requires a tiny bit of fitment (even my factory mags did!)
What are you trying to call bs on? Maybe try reading again. Little slower this time. Or let me write it so you can understand, obviously you are confused. When I say,"not exactly sure vepr 12 mags work in saiga 040/030 models or saigas with magwells", I mean I have both a vepr12 and 040 and the vepr 12 mag doesn't fit in my 040. When I say, "vise versa though", i mean my 040/030 magwell mags do fit in vepr12 as well as 030/040. So now that I cleared that up, wtf are you talking about? The vepr 12 mags don't fit without modification: fact.

Maybe there are saiga 12's out there that can accept vepr 12 mags without modification, but most I've seen do not. Ymmv

Molot mags in original russian magwells WORK. Doesn't matter if it's molot or saiga.

Minor fitting required. Maybe.

I just tried the vepr 12 mags in my 040. They actually do fit but I have to smak it in to seat like AR 15 mags. So it appears that maybe they do fit without mod. I do have after market mag latches and magwells though so who knows. Im sure the tolerances stack up differently for different guns and some might work without mod and some won't. Again, ymmv Edited by AZG

Guess I'll have to get more specific. My experience has been that my Molot mag will not lock up in my Saiga-12 ver. 030 without modification. When I stated they don't work, based on my experience, I meant WITHOUT MODIFICATION out of the box. I figure if your going to spend that kind of money on a mag, you might as well get the one that is specific to the firearm. My Izzy magwell mags worked like a champ right out of the box without one bit of modification. Oh, and btw, I personally don't care if an Izzy S-12 magwell mag fits in a Molot Vepr-12 since I'm not interested in owning one anyway. They may fit. I don't know. O.K., I think that about covers it for me. I'm out of here and off to some other thread of greater interest.

Edited by JRSUDS
  • Like 1

JR, the Izzy 8s function in the Vepr 12s. Just an FYI in case you care. Funny how some people get a burr up their ass about certain things on this forum.

Edited for spelling and trying not to start a shut show. Was just trying to help.

Edited by Person Dog
Molot mags in original russian magwells WORK. Doesn't matter if it's molot or saiga.

Minor fitting required. Maybe.

I just tried the vepr 12 mags in my 040. They actually do fit but I have to smak it in to seat like AR 15 mags.

Same with my SGM tactical mags.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/86001-mag-question-for-sgm-tactical/?p=888333

The more I practice mag changes, the easier they seem to lock in. I've noticed the rub marks on the back of the mag lug.

Edited by S12KS-K
Funny how some people get a burr up their ass about certain things on this forum.

If I were a noob to this forum, and read half of the misinfo here, I'd be all f'd up and end up spending tons of money on junk (ahem, gas regulators, springs, etc)

I take credibility and technical know-how seriously. This is a technical hobbyist forum and people are looking for correct answers to their concerns. Not smoke and mirrors to protect the value of their buyer's remorse (polymer top cover rails = lulz) or knee jerk "NO!" answers.

Vepr 12 mags work in 030. 030 mags work in vepr-12. Russian firearms aren't made to exacting tolerances. It's very common to have to take a file to the mag lugs...

Edited by S12KS-K

In an effort to take one variable out of the equation, today I swapped all my magazine catches to the JTE extended version. Here is one issue as to why we're are all experiencing different results when fitting mags. Ahhh, Russian tolerances. I need more time to look at things because there is something else going on which is allowing some mags to seat deeper in some guns than in others. One thing I did notice was that my 040 magwell had been sanded on the front creating a looser fit. Anyways, here is part of the problem...

post-14994-0-05493600-1366590171_thumb.jpg

Horrible iPad photo showing a Molot mag in my Saiga 040...

What exactly is a S040? Do you buy them already converted like a Legion gun? I love the 100 series folder and DC rail.

gallery_24335_1031_1734013.jpg

is an 040 model. also like the one above with ak handguards, just no front sight gas block

tx-zen and sunnybeans are also 040's, Tx converted his a while back, sunnybean I think bought his from legion that way. Mine is 040-02. not sure the exact model of each

Dubs,

What AZG said. The 040 uses the same adjustable gas system found on most Saiga 12 guns. They differ from the 109 by having a different RGB, hinged top cover, top rail, front sight, and some have magwell's.

I bought mine like this...

http://legionusainc.com/iz-412-saiga-12.html

Then, Leland at Sierra Ordnance Company added the 100 series folder and refinish.

• Like 1
My Izhmash mags fit my Vepr 12. I just ordered a couple Vepr mags for the collection, should be here in a few days.

VEPR12_S12_Left.JPG.

This mags are called: SAIGA POLICE. Work with original magwell.

AZG:

About molot's mags vs. saiga with original magwell.

THEY WORK, maybe little fitting will be required.

About non-fitting. Check version of the mag. I know 2 versions with little different magbody.

About molots and original mags - they are fitted to gun! Why russians use same gun number on mag?

About russian magwell... really depends how it's connected to the gun. If you/gunsmith make it wrong you change internal dimensions and for free insert and fall of mags you will fit them.

On the pictures:

Saiga Legion(original custom gun + customization of shooter)

- mags Saiga Police 12

- mags for Molot Vepr 12

Same mags were used for several guns.

With some - no problems and could be used without changes(Saiga 12, Vepr 12, Legion), sometimes they were fitted.

post-16543-0-39435100-1366628533_thumb.jpg

post-16543-0-92778100-1366628556_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Posted in the other thread but following up here as well. After adding the JTE extended mag latch, some fitting was needed. Mostly, the Molot mags needed a touch or two with a file. Of all three brands of magwell mags that I have (Izzy, Molot, SGM Tactical) the SGM Tactical mags are the most consistent when it comes to tolerances at the lugs. None of the SGM mags required any modification to work with the JTE latch. For whatever reason, someone sanded too much material off the front of my 040 magwell at the factory. I am now going to attempt to fill it back in with JB weld. One word of cation if/when filing mags. Go slow and get a tight fit. If you take too much off and the mag has vertical movement inside the magwell, it will fall out upon firing. I have one Izzy mag that came from the factory like this. Also, if you don't take off enough material and your latch isn't fully seated, your mag will fall out upon firing.

post-14994-0-26174400-1366650354_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up another Molot Vepr-12 factory mag and it didn't fit my Saiga-12 ver. 030 eitherpost-3938-0-15656500-1367357227_thumb.jpgpost-3938-0-48156200-1367357243_thumb.jpg. Compared it to the S-12 magwell factory mags and noticed the rectangular slot under the lug which was not present on the Molot mag. Went and cut the slot out on the Molot (pain in the ass) and now she fits. Locks up nice and seems to function fine by hand cycling and the bolt hold open works with no mods. Obviously, it can be done. Don't know why anyone would want to at this point since the factory S-12 mags are available off and on for the same price as the Vepr-12 mags ($109 vs. $112.27) basically.

• Like 1