5.45 Furniture/Parts/Stocks/Grips, etc.

Gentlemen:

Now that I've completed my SAIGA 410 project rifle, my new 5.45x39mm ought to be a breeze (comparatively).

Admittedly, I'm still a little "new" to the whole conversion process, but it is certainly fun to learn by doing.

I try to avoid "trial-and-error" as much as possible, and rely on research and the advice from fellas like yourselves to save some expenditures and heart-aches.

I've noticed that around the world-wide-web, the 5.45x39 rifle isn't all that popular, but there are a goodly group of shooters who enjoy it. My main question(s) for you all is in relation to the interoperability of furniture/stocks/parts/grips from the 5.45x39 and other models of the AK47 and AK74.

In a nutshell, I'm the proud new owner of a SAIGA 5.45x39mm rifle, and I'm going to begin the conversion process soon. Easy enough. Along the way though, I'd like to put on some new furniture, forearm, stock, muzzle-brake, etc., and I'd like your input as to how "universal" parts are???

If a company advertises a stock or forearm for an AK47, will it fit my rifle as well?

Or, if a company advertises a part for an AK74, will it generically fit mine, or does it have to be specific to SAIGA?

What about muzzle-brakes? It looks like they are 14 threaded left-hand, but what muzzle brakes will work? Or not work?

Basically, if you could chime in with any/all hints/tips/advice that you have about what main-parts are compatible between generic AK47's and AK74's and my SAIGA 5.45x39, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys, and keep shooting!!!

Welcome to 5.45 fun. There are plenty threads in here that will enlighten and inform your next project...ranging from hot water cleaning for corrosive ammo, to bullet guide or not.

Regular AK furniture fits with restored rifle. AK74 Bulgy milsurp parts seem to fit fine on both of mine. I went with a 24mm FSB/brake. If you plan on threading the barrel, there are many options.

Below is my parts list for the top rifle. Picked up stuff from three different private vendors and CSS.

Enjoy your new project.

two545s_zpsb58e7429.jpg

KVar Plum 4 Piece Stock set

1 Gas Block W/Lug
1 Gas Tube
1 Hand Guard Retainer
1 Pistol Grip Screw & Nut Set
1 Cleaning Rod
2 Gas Block Pin Set

Bulgy FSB
Bulgy FH A1

1 RECOIL PAD FOR AK ORIGINAL STYLE STOCK
1 TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ROUNDED"
1 TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA RIFLES, 410 & 20 GA. MODIFIED FIRE CONTROL GROUP

I like the photos and the parts list that you posted. Some very nice pieces there. (The SBR in as your "avatar" is pretty intense too...)

So, on the subject of muzzle brakes: my SAIGA 410 came threaded with a thread/barrel protector; the SAIGA 5.45x39 is not threaded, nor does it have a removable end. Naturally, I assume I'll have to take it to a gun-smith to have the barrel threaded.

Any suggestions? What are the "buzz words" or "lingo" that I should use to ensure that I get the right thing.

More importantly, how can I make sure that my barrel is threaded "properly" so that I can make use of the multitude of after-market muzzle brakes that are out there?

Any break in-particular that you fellas recommend (and why)?

Thanks, and keep shooting!

Info on FSB is pinned in this section and threading is pinned in the conversion section.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/53873-front-sight-block-fsb-swap-removal-tutorial/

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/7652-barrel-threading-tutorial/

To search future inquiries it's more effective to you use google than search in here. Just enter saiga12 forum before topic of interest and enjoy the wealth of info that this forum has to offer.

Happy reading.

You can reuse the trigger guard so save it. It fits under the mag catch and then gets bolted under the pistol grip. The tension created keeps it in place very very well. Use hilman hole plugs from lowes to plug the stock trigger pin holes. They're like $1 and look JUST like factory rivets. Just pop them in and done. I can take some pics if you want. Kvar ak74 stock and tapco plain ak grip and nut/ screw set work good. DO install a bullet guide. You may think its loading fine until you see how the bullets are pushed in the cases without a guide. Tapco single hook trigger. Dont forget the masking tape and semi glosblack s rustoleum. Over all a fun afternoon project.

Necro, to change FSB drill the compressed divits out taking ur time not to drill in the barrel. There are no pins on the saiga sporter. Whack it off with a wooden/pig skin mallet. Whack new one on with mallet lining it up a d triple checking for no can't. Drill out barrel with correct bit, install pins.