ear protection?

I use some Howard Leight electronic earmuffs. I like to shoot with my son and when I was teaching him how to shoot I grew tired of yelling so he could hear me through the earplugs. You can use your "inside voice" and still be heard clearly. Just one word of caution about using electronic ear protection, be careful what you say at the range. Just as you can hear others talking about you, they can hear you talking about them :-)

I've tried everything and I prefer plain-ol' foam earplugs.

Passive muffs are convenient but prevent me from getting a good cheekweld and sometimes heavy recoil causes them to shift around on my head. They can also cause discomfort where they override the earpieces of most shooting glasses. If I'm shooting a big bore (.338,.50BMG, etc.) I'll often throw a pair on over my earplugs for extra protection. I like my hearing.

Electronic earmuffs are neat but I found them annoying in environments with high volumes of gunfire (ie most gun ranges) where the sound is constantly cutting in and out. It was way harder to understand speech like that than by just shouting over my earplugs. I would however use them if I was the only shooter present or if hunting or the like. Nicer models can amplify quiet sounds enough to act like super-ears!

I have a set of the Remington electronic earbuds, and I find them too uncomfortable to wear while shooting for any real length of time. SportEAR made a really cool model which retailed for a ricockulous $1000. I think Peltor makes a pricey version too.

Always wear your ear-pros no matter what caliber you're shooting or for what length of time.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pencil-top-eraser-cap-smiley-face-lot-of-120-yellow-orange-purple-pink-green-/290898437865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bae5e6e9slip on pencil eracers work great for me and they are cheap. they quiet the sound more than foam plugs

Edited by deadeye

I have a couple of brands of electronic ear protectors but I almost always wear custom fit ear plugs underneath when shooting rifle or just the ear plugs when shooting shotgun or pistol. I have professional custom fit earplugs and a set that I purchased and molded myself. The self molded ones are almost as good as the professional ones and they are much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time than headphones. You can get a set to fit yourself online, similar to this page: http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-diy-ear-plugs.html

Doug

• Like 1
I have a couple of brands of electronic ear protectors but I almost always wear custom fit ear plugs underneath when shooting rifle or just the ear plugs when shooting shotgun or pistol. I have professional custom fit earplugs and a set that I purchased and molded myself. The self molded ones are almost as good as the professional ones and they are much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time than headphones. You can get a set to fit yourself online, similar to this page: http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-diy-ear-plugs.html

Doug

Your link was to two brands... Do you have any preference between the two? This looks like something I might want, since I use earplugs for motorcycle trips too.

I've worked full time at a shooting range now for 5 years. I love my Howard Leight/Impact Sport electronic muffs. The batteries last ages, and as long as you don't constantly fold and unfold them, the muffs themselves will too. They keep the gunfire out and there is no problem hearing people around you. Plus a 1/8 jack for the walkies, or for music. Please note though, if you keep them and use them for a long time, you'll need to replace the pads every so often. They get hard as damn rock after a while, which is uncomfortable, and also makes them not seal as well.

• Like 1

Huh??

Did you say something??

I use plugs under normal Winchester branded muffs and that's more than plenty protection. I would like to try the fancy electronic muffs but it seems you need to spend some $$$ to get a decent pair.

Edited by dubya

Doug

Your link was to two brands... Do you have any preference between the two? This looks like something I might want, since I use earplugs for motorcycle trips too.

Either one should suit your needs, I bought the cheaper set and they work fine.

Doug

I use the foam ear plugs, mainly because i get em free from my work...

I cant tell you how many of those foam work ear plugs i grabbed every day from work that me and my biddies would use to shoot with. I think i have at least a 100 still unopened laying around somewhere.