1988 Izzy AKS74 and AK74M

Due to an insane work schedule this year I haven't had time to do much of anything AK related and haven't been posting much, but a couple weeks ago I was able to dedicate a morning to a couple of rifles that came back from Piece of History Firearms.

Inspired by AR15.com member Stizout in his thread here, last September I decided to get off my ass and send my 1988 Izhmash kit to Mario at PoHF. I'd had the kit for a long time but waffled for a over a year to build it or not. Eventually the plum furniture was irresistible, and after seeing the work that Mario did for Stiz I made up my mind.

At the same time I sent in my main SGL31-44 to get the last details for a 74M clone and another SGL31 destined to be an AK105. Still waiting on the stamp for the 105 but will post pics when it arrives.

Since Mario was going to do the work I went ahead and bought a 74U LLC AKS-74 receiver. The wait time was about three months before they shipped to him but I think it was very much worth it, the receiver quality and details are well regarded by professional collectors. After getting this rifle back I can't even describe how happy I am with it and how glad I am I went with 74U LLC. I never knew I had such a thing for plum even though I've always liked it, but after handling the Izzy and seeing the quality of the build I'm very impressed. Mario does great work but I haven't had him build a kit from scratch, to say I'm impressed is an understatement. Fit and finish is amazing, the action is smooth and the parts all go back together easily. It's like butter to strip and put together.

Enjoy:

1988IzzyAKS74_Left01.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_LeftFront.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_Brake01.jpg

FSB_GB_Dimples_88Izzy.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_Serial.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_FolderHinge.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_Right01.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_HGs_Right.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_Selector.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74_FolderHinge02.jpg

With 1P29

1P29_1988IzzyAKS74_Front02.jpg

1PN58

1PN58_1988IzzyAKS74_Front.jpg

Mario originally did the conversion on this but I decided I wanted to go all the way and get the dimples done this time, something he wasn't offering when the SGL was first converted.

74M_Left01.jpg

1988IzzyAKS74-1P29_AK74M-1P78_Left.jpg

Comparison of FSB and GB dimples

FSB_GB_Dimples_74M_88Izzy.jpg

1P58 and 1PN34

1PN58_1PN34_Left.JPG

1PN58_Serial.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 3

Looks beautiful like all of your stuff. Also I am sure there is way more attention to getting things "authentic" than I could ever appreciate.

I've wondered about how well that huge NV scope of yours works with all that weight and leverage against the tiny little POSP rail. How can it not flop an flex with running around and recoil, etc? (and now I am second guessing my self about calling it a POSP rail to the expert.)

Remember the mounting system is designed as a complex built to work together...the clamp, the rail and the way the optics are designed to mount was all done at the same time. The side rail has changed over the years but for the longest time now I can't see a difference in the clamping mechanism.

It seems odd to have such a honkin huge optic on there, but it was actually designed specifically for those large NV optics. Later as collimators and magnified optics become more popular the optics were much smaller, but the rail was originally designed for night vision.

Z

• Like 1
How are those old cheap gen1 nv optics? Good enough to hunt hogs at night from about 30 yards in?

They are pretty good, I have a Soviet 1pn34 which is better than a friends commercial gen-2.Hogs at 30 yards would be very easy,especially mounted on one of these! ;)

post-44524-0-29912900-1366649444_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

How are those old cheap gen1 nv optics? Good enough to hunt hogs at night from about 30 yards in?

Actually 1PN58 is good to 400-500 yards or farther with the right lighting. I have tracked hogs at 600 yards with my Gen 1 1PN34 under a decent moon, 1PN34 is gen 1, 1PN58 is gen 1+ with an upgraded image intensifier.

Outstanding as usual smile.png great looking IZZY!! ,I am starting AKS build next week Bulgy kit and Soviet side folder, getting Rakurs or PK-01v, so with RD on ,it wont fold, right?

No, definitely will not fold with an optic mounted.

Looking at the barrels, it looks like there is a bit of a difference in the milling (take a look at the "sleeves" in front and behind the FSB and GB). Where did you source the barrel for your '88 Izzy?

I used a surplus Bulgarian, there are milling differences between those and the modern 74M barrel of the SGL

I used a surplus Bulgarian, there are milling differences between those and the modern 74M barrel of the SGL

Awesome! I've thought about using some Bulgarian barrels as well since some Russian barrels hardly exist. I'm actually pretty encouraged that other shooters have taken the same route. I wasn't sure if I should make an "All Bulgarian" rifle, or stick with my original plan of using all Russian parts, and use Bulgarian parts when Russian parts aren't available.

And, just for the record, I think I've stared at your rifles for hours and hours at this point. They are some of my favorite rifles to look at. Great job on them!