Long term outdoor tool storage suggestions

i posted awhile back about getting a promotion at work, one i had been kind of expecting, and it finally came through, though not in the way i had planned. i was expecting to get promoted from an assistant to working on modernizations and upgrades, but instead was given a job doing maintenance.

while this is fine, it leaves me with a bunch of tools that i won't be needing anytime in the immediate future, and my house is rather small, so i'm looking to store them in the garage. theft isn't a particular concern as i own one of the smallest houses in a pretty good neighborhood.

my question is, how would you suggest i store them. my first thought is a dozen 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and some flower drying crystals ( all things i already own) my second thought is some ammo cans or an old freezer (with a decent seal). these i don't have.

so how would you guys store them?

thanks

What kind of tools? Hand tools? Electric? For hand tools, you could wipe them down every other month with a rag soaked with WD-40. Power tools can be put into plastic trash bags, all the way up to contractor sized, with nylon stockings cut in 6" lengths filled with Tydy Cats crystals put into the bags for a cheap and very effective descicant to protect against moisture and rust. What kind of climate do you have these tools in? I know where I live, my tools go through extremes in winter. They can go from below zero to 70 degrees F in less than a half hour when I turn the electric heater on.

i have a pretty wide variety- im an elevator mechanic, so i have everything from wrenches to meggers (electrical measuring tool) to hole saws to... well, you get the idea. i live in northeast illinois, so i have a pretty wide temperature swing but the humidity isn't horrible, usually.

im trying to avoid doing any sort of greasing/ cosmoline/ wd because to be honest, i know im going to forget about doing it and i dont want to have to clean it off

I've stored tools for over 13 years in the barn in the midwest. I cleaned them off as best I could and coated them in cheap silicon spray and then wiped that off. I then wrapped them in news paper and put the tools in cardboard boxes. The SS is still bright and clean, nothing has rusted. Venting is important for the leather and wood components. Sealing everything in air tight is a gamble unless you know all your tools are moisture free and wont react with each other. Keep your electronics inside.

Guns, now that's another story. Ask me about nitrogen some day. :)

How does WD40 hold water since WD in the name means Water Displacement? That's what the original patent was for. The lubrication aspects of WD40 is an after effect and not really a great lubricant anyway.

I was gonna say, "keep your electronics inside".

Keeping my construction tools from corroding has been a huge challenge for me, as I live in a damp climate and I have no good storage options. I oil what I can but shit happens.

I would suggest building a rainproof and well ventilated structure for simple storage.

Locking things up in boxes could trap moisture and ruin metal quickly.

"Oil displaces water" is simple knowledge and is a last resort or redundancy.

Best of luck.

Edited by Sim_Player

Oh fatty this is an EASY answer!!.... I'll hang on to them for you, my garage has plenty enough room and it'd look better with more tools lol, I'm 26 and still building my tool set (when is a guy ever done though??) So there's plenty of space and storage options here. I'll even pay shipping :)

I was gonna say, "keep your electronics inside".Keeping my construction tools from corroding has been a huge challenge for me, as I live in a damp climate and I have no good storage options. I oil what I can but shit happens.I would suggest building a rainproof and well ventilated structure for simple storage.Locking things up in boxes could trap moisture and ruin metal quickly."Oil displaces water" is simple knowledge and is a last resort or redundancy.Best of luck.
Washington?

It is widely known by electronic technicians that WD-40 absorbs water and acts as a conductor of electricity. That is why you must not spray on live electronics. T-9 is used in the aerospace program as well as the best lubricant for firearms. Both Corrosion X and T-9 can be sprayed on hot electronics, battery posts etc... and will not conduct. Trust me, I do this for a living. Corrosion X is messy, while T-9 is a thin, long lasting film, and great for salt water applications. I am not saying that WD-40 doesn't have its uses.I use it around the house for certain things. If I plan on storing metal objects for any period of time, I would suggest using a product that will not absorb water.

Edited by Sport Rescue