Range Report (Post Conversion)

Earlier I did a range report on my pre-conversion Saiga 12 so I thought it would be good to do one post-conversion as well. I did a basic conversion. The only real modified part of my conversion is the Tromix Modified G2 trigger group. The bolt is as it came from the factory and I polished nothing on it or the trigger group. The gas system is also as it came from the factory.

I shot 150 rounds of 4 different velocities using the factory 5 round and two 10 round SMG magazines. My son and I were skeet shooting except for a some rapid firing which I noted in the results.

Here are the results:

post-46960-0-04230000-1366548861.jpg

I used this basically for the new break in. With the gas setting on #1 I shot the first box. I experienced a number of FTE with this first box but knew not to get too excited. After all this is essentially a second break in period and that new hammer has to rub against the bolt and machine itself. For the second box I switched the gas setting to #2 and experienced 0 malfunctions.

post-46960-0-59233200-1366548885.jpg

Since it was starting to function so well I decided to switch the gas setting back to #1

10 rounds - 0 malfunctions

5 rounds - 0 malfunctions

10 rounds- 0 malfunctions (rapid fire)

Winchester 1200fps.wmv

post-46960-0-74757600-1366548905.jpg

Still on setting #1

10 rounds - 1 FTE

5 rounds - 0 malfunctions

10 rounds 1 FTE (rapid fire)

post-46960-0-18773400-1366548922.jpg

Notice this is 1180 fps and only 2 3/4 Dr EQ

On gas setting #1

10 rounds - 5 FTE

5 rounds - 2 FTE

Switch to gas setting #2

10 rounds (rapid fire)

My son was shooting. He fired 4 rounds then had a FTE. Cleared the malfunction and fired 3 more rounds with another FTE. I finished the last 3 rounds with 0 malfunctions. I am not sure if he isn't being firm enough or If his quick video game trained fingers are out shooting the magazine

post-46960-0-81378600-1366548936.jpg

Last box. This one was 2 3/4 Dr Eq and the lowest velocity at 1145 fps. I really didn't expect much out of this box except a malfunction drill.

On gas setting #2

10 rounds - 0 malfunctions

Was getting pretty cocky so I switched back to gas setting #1

5 rounds - 5 FTE (malfunction drill)

Back to gas setting #2

5 rounds- 0 malfunctions (rapid fire)

5 rounds -0 malfunctions (rapid fire)

In conclusion I would say that I have a pretty good gun. The gas system seems to be operating as designed and I must have done a fair job at doing the conversion because it functioned well. No screws became loose or any springs came flying out. The more we shot the better she ran. I was a little surprised that the lighter loads with 2 3/4 Dr Eq and a velocity of less than 1200 fps performed as well as they did. Just for fun next time I will see again how low I can go. Oh and the Federal smells funny compared to the Winchester. So sayeth my Son. I agree though. It certainly did smell different but ran just fine if not better.

• Like 1

Another great write up, Exciter. Sounds like your gun is a real winner! Keep at it. You are doing very well!

You might consider polishing the rails a bit a a bolt reprofile, but they are certainly not required. If you are shooting mostly low power loads, I also suggest the Tac47 Auto Plug. Mine works great! Also, if your gun runs it, I suggest Winchester Universal. It's cleaner running than the Federal stuff by far. However, I believe federal to have more consistent loads and more reliable primers for defense.

I just realized you are in Arkansas. I'm in Northwest Arkansas. Where are you, if you don't mind?

Glad to hear you got a good one and thanks for the good write up! These kind of well written reports really help new S12 owners. BTW, if you think Federal smells funny try the S&B clear buckshot shells! The RO stopped everyone from shooting because he thought something was on fire until I had him shoot my gun lol. Sounds weird too.

This stuff..post-46357-0-32182300-1366579159_thumb.jpg

Edited by dubya